Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Roberto Alomar Collector's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
I haven't managed to find many other Alomar collectors, but if my lost ebay auctions are any indicator, they are out there. Hopefully this thread will help get us together. So if you have righteous cards, are looking for rare or oddball stuff, or just got a good pickup, please post here. I'm sure this thread will get bigger than the Super Sweet 90's Insert thread in no time :)

I have a few hundred duplicates to trade or sell or give away, and also have a checklist that I'd wager is the most complete one out there (would be glad to email a copy to anyone interested). I'm also looking for those hard-to-find cards for my collection. Right now some big ones on the wantlist from early-mid 90's are:

1990 Donruss Aqueous [now have!]
1992 Barry Colla All-Star Autograph / 250 [now have!]
1992 Star Promo [now convinced Beckett is wrong (shockingly) and this does not exist]
1993 Donruss Triple Play Preview [now have!]
1993 Finest Promo Refractor [now have!]
1993 Pinnacle Cooperstown Card Promo
1995 Score Rules Jumbo / 3000
1996 Aficionado First Pitch Preview
1996 Select Mirror Blue [now have!]
1996 Select Mirror Gold [now have!]
1996 Upper Deck Diamond Destiny Gold [now have!]
1997 Blue Jays Scorebook Sizzler w/Olerud & Molitor
1997 Fleer Showcase Legacy (all of them) / 100 [now have!]
1997 Fleer Ultra Platinum Medallion / 200 [now have!]
1997 Pinnacle Totally Certified Platinum Gold / 30
1997 Score Team Collection Platinum
1997 Score Team Collection Premier Club
1997 Topps Proshooters Checklist [now have!]
1997 Topps Stars '97 All Stars [now have!]

Last edited:

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Thought I would post some oddball stuff today. I drool over whale cards like everyone else but really like this cheap fun stuff too.

1995 Ray Ban promo card. I got this one back in 1995/96 and have never seen another one, and there is NO info about it online. Probably the most valuable worthless card in my collection.
1995 ray ban promo.jpg

I picked up the 1992 Dream Team Gold card when it came out, but had no idea there was a header card until I ran across it while browsing [MENTION=4293]patrick182[/MENTION] Frank Thomas collection. An official issue from 24 years ago, and a card within a card to boot? And just a couple bucks delivered? That made my day.
1992 score dream team index card.jpg

1991 Dad's Kid Tri-Cards. Interesting story behind these and the guy who made them. One day I wondered if they made them with the factory color pattern and it turns out yes.
1991 dads kid variations.jpg

An all-time favorite - another card within a card. Gwynn is signing for some fans, one of whom has Robbie's 1988 Donruss rookie in his hand, in the far bottom left. I learned of this late one night through an online article and about 8 seconds later had a COMC order in.
1992 upper deck gwynn.jpg

1993 Kraft pop-up card plus accessories. There's a guy selling these on ebay now - the card, plus a cutout from the box with the cards shown, plus instructions with a little black-and-white drawing which shows the outlines of individual cards. They didn't have to show the cards on the box, and on the instructions, but somebody went through the trouble to do so. I thought that was cool.
1993 kraft stuff.jpg

One of my favorite cards from one of the best sets ever - 1993 Upper Deck. The other one is a knock off sold as Venezuelan, although I can't find any reference to it and have no idea what country the basement printing operation was located in! Whoever made it scanned the UD card, then cropped the photo just above the text, added graphics, and printed it on thick card stock. Another fun find for a few bucks.
1993 upper deck and knockoff.jpg

Left is a silver promo card from the Houston National in 1994. Right is the gold version which I vaguely remembered hearing about in 1994, but had long since forgotten until a guy showed up on ebay recently with a stack for sale. Minor pickup, but still cool because how often can you get a "new" 20+ year old card for a few bucks. Also the gold version has prism foil in a "diamond" orientation versus the "square" orientation for the silver.
1994 national promo silver and gold.jpg

Last one, some mistaken identity. Roberto on a Sandy card and vice versa.
photo swaps.jpg

Last edited:

patrick182

Mar 23, 2010
I pickes up the 1992 Dream Team Gold card when it came out, but had not idea there was a header card until I ran across it while browsing [MENTION=4293]patrick182[/MENTION] Frank Thomas collection. An official issue from 24 years ago, and a card within a card to boot? And just a couple bucks delivered? That made my day.
View attachment 66442

Thanks for mentioning me and again for visiting the Radicards™ Museum @ http://www.museum.radicards.com/. I'm glad you found it helpful. Please visit anytime. :)

Here's my contribution to the thread:

1988-cmc-las-vegas-stars-20-roberto-alomar-psa9.jpg

Last edited:

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Cool. The only graded cards I have for now are the Donruss "Anniversary Originals" rookies from 2001 Donruss. These are a whopping BGS 7 and 7.5. I get the gimmick of graded redemption cards but they couldn't find better than 7 and 7.5? You can't swing a cat without knocking over a stack of 88 Donruss Alomar rookies.

Your online museum is excellent and the podcasts are fun too. Good stuff. Would love to get my collection online someday but who knows when that will be...

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Thanks. By the way I just listed a bunch of oddball cards on the free to good home thread:
http://www.freedomcardboard.com/forum/showthread.php/115539-Free-To-Good-Home-Low-End/page314
with some Thomas, Puckett, and Padres cards in the mix.

Here's my contribution to the thread:

As a collector of an '80's/'90's guy, I complete agree. Thanks for sharing the "cheap fun stuff!"

I have this for my "HOFers who played on the Padres autograph" PC.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Thanks. Hoping to keep filling in little holes here and there in 2017, but also fill a few bigger ones.

Speaking of which, the other day I found a guy on tradingcarddb.com that had a moderately-sweet 90's insert I need on his for sale/trade list, so I send him a message. He didn't reply, but a few hours later it appears on ebay for a high (imho) starting bid, and a much higher BIN price. Thanks a lot. Starting to wonder if I should be a little more cagey with my wantlist!

Good stuff. Hope you are able to land some of the key cards. And I'll echo the others, oddball items are great.

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G920V using Freedom Card Board mobile app

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Just got the 2003 Topps Chrome X-fractor /50 in the mail today. I realized this 2003 Topps run has 12 cards...and I have 11 of them. Nothing too expensive since the shortest print run was 50. But that almost makes it more fun. From top left to bottom right:

Base Issue
Gold /2003
Black /53 (missing this one...if you have one, let me know)
Home Team Advantage
Opening Day
Opening Day Sticker
Kanebo (Japan)
Chrome Base Issue
Chrome Refractor /699
Chrome Gold Refractor /499
Chrome Black Refractor /199
Chrome X-Fractor /50

2003 topps almost rainbow.jpg

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Got a great pickup today and have to share it on the board here, since nobody else in my life really gives a crap about my card habit :)

A guy on ebay had a lot of 25 1993 Donruss Triple Play cards, all Robbie Alomar, for a couple bucks. So I bit, hoping one of those sneaky preview cards might be mixed in there. I have bought a few cheap lots before hoping I'd get some subtle variation or error, but they never panned out....until now:

1993 donruss triple play - back.jpg

1993 donruss triple play preview - back.jpg

Top one is the normal card, bottom one is the preview card with the fuzzy "Triple Play" text on the background. Fronts are almost indistinguishable, except the silver ink the player's last name on top is slightly brighter and shinier on the normal card.

I've been looking for that damn preview card for a while, and never thought I'd stumble on it for a few bucks. So in conclusion...hells yeah!

Last edited:

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Some new pickups this month to post. First is a rare I had all along but didn't know it.

I ran across a couple cards called "1993 Leaf Promos" on COMC, of Mattingly and Gonzalez. The sold listings also showed one for Alomar. I had never heard of these, but one of the sellers is [MENTION=2962]jacksoncoupage[/MENTION] so I figured it was legit. But it took me a while to spot the difference from the base card. It's the alignment of the foil text on the front. The promo version ends much closer to the "the leaf set" ribbon. Scan below has base card on the left, promo on the right.

1993 leaf promo.jpg

After a brief search I found one, and only one, of these hiding in my duplicates box. It doesn't get any better than a rare 1990's promo pickup for $0.00 :)

Last edited:

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Next one is one I never thought I'd see - a 1992 autographed card from from Barry Colla. There were 200 of these, and according to the Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards they were giveaways that you could win at the game itself. This one, and the 1992 Canadian McDonald's redemption card (#/1000) were the first two autograph cards for Robbie. The next one didn't come along until 1996 Leaf Signature.

1992 colla autograph front.jpg

1992 colla autograph back.jpg

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
I had am Mirror Blue a few years back but I sold it and the guy I sold it to sold it as well. It was a BGS copy

Members online

Latest posts