Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2004 Greats of the game Autograph set finally scanned

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
For some reason I never got around to scanning and posting this set on my Photobucket account. Working on the 2000 and 2001 Greats of the Game autograph sets taught me a lesson. When the 2004 set was released, I searched ebay and counted how many of each player were listed so I could determine the SP autographs before they were listed in Beckett. I was able to snag many of the SP's at great prices before they were announced. Here's the link for anyone interested.

102 Autographs plus two redemptions where I have the autographed card and the redemption in my collection. Always interested in more of the unredeemed redemptions if the price is right.

Enjoy!
Tom

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/mkoates55/library/2004 Greats of the Game?sort=4&page=1

oiccup41

Aug 27, 2010
Maine
Great job, one of my favorite all time sets!!! I am at the same place that you are minus the Brett and Puckett.

I have spent years looking for David Cone, Deion Sanders, Paul Molitor (Jays), Phil Rizzuto, Rod Carew (Twins), Robin Yount, Tom Seaver (Reds) and Wade Boggs. Do you know if they exist?

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
Great job, one of my favorite all time sets!!! I am at the same place that you are minus the Brett and Puckett.

I have spent years looking for David Cone, Deion Sanders, Paul Molitor (Jays), Phil Rizzuto, Rod Carew (Twins), Robin Yount, Tom Seaver (Reds) and Wade Boggs. Do you know if they exist?

Rumored to to exist but I have not seen a copy of any of those cards in eleven years. Beckett Almanac lists them as exchange cards.

I have hopes that at least one or two will eventually make their way onto the market. Here is why I have hope.... I have my 2001 greats of the Game autograph set near complete. Missing Mays autograph and Stargell redemption card. About two years ago a new card popped up. Richie Allen autograph with MVP and ROY inscription. Story goes like this... Richie signed his regular cards and returned them to Fleer. He never returned the MVP / ROY autographs to Fleer. Fleer goes bankrupt and Richie's agent has the cards. Ten years later he sells the entire stack to a card shop and they trickle onto the market. That is my understanding of how they popped up 12 years after the set release.

I'm hoping that the cards you mentioned are out there in the shadows and just maybe a couple will eventually find their way onto the market. A guy can hope! :)

Tom

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
That Snider LA is a SP I assume? I have not looked for it, but have seen the Brooklyn version several times and own one, but not that LA version. I always loosely tried to pick up as many Dodgers from sets like that, but was never very structured about it, so I certainly missed a lot, especially if they were harder to find or better (more expensive) players.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
None of the "non existing" ones show any proof on Worthpoint just an FYI. Though while looking I saw a Puckett sold for $50 in 06' , nice buy.

Ryan

RAZOR-Z

Apr 3, 2012
The Motor City
2 DOWN 3 OVER ON THE RIGHT - I found one of Canseco signed in black ink - Only one I have ever seen for him in black ink in over 10 years - Know how that happened?

01%2BUPRIGHT%2BAUTOS.bmp

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
Wonderful set Tom- congrats!!

I too have the 2004 set. I submitted a request to Fleer with the following redemption cards right when the bankruptcy occurred. I never received these redemptions:

GBA 1MartyMarionSt. Louis Cardinals
GBA 1DennyMcClainDetroit Tigers
GBA 1PhilRizzutoNew York Yankees
GBA 2WadeBoggsBoston Red Sox
GBA 2RodCarewMinnesota Twins
GBA 2GaryCarterMontreal Expos
GBA 2WillClarkSan Francisco Giants
GBA 2DavidConeKansas City Royals
GBA 2PaulMolitorToronto Blue Jays
GBA 2DonNewcombe (2)Brooklyn Dodgers
GBA 2TomSeaverCincinnati Reds
GBA 2RobinYountMilwaukee Brewers

Some of these cards I have the actual auto card as well (Marion, McClain, Carter, Clark, Newcombe) but not the others.

I do have this redemption

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
Tom, I do not see the following in your bucket......

JimRiceBoston Red Sox
CalRipken, Jr.Baltimore Orioles
RobinRobertsPhiladelphia Phillies
BrooksRobinsonBaltimore Orioles

Members online

Latest posts