Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How many of you have rival collectors (one or even multiple) out there who you...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
frequently battle for new items, but are on friendly terms with and ever help each other out and trade?

There can usually only be 1 "master" collector of something and just about everyone who is a focused collector has to do battle with at least one or more collectors who want the same thing. With ebay hiding IDs now and no way to search completed listings for IDs (unless you made note of your rivals before this) maybe you don't know who you are doing battle with, but I suspect most have at least an idea.

I am talking active collectors here now. Those that bid you up or beat you on everything you seem to want. It is easy to befriend a "retired" or inactive collector who no longer buys what you do, but can you remain civil with an active collector when you must win anything you see and want and that person is standing in your way?

K34PuckettAddict

May 28, 2009
I'm civil with all the Puckett collectors that I know. I've helped several in the past and stay in contact & still help with two or three collectors today. There's no other way but to be civil with someone that shares the same passion as I do.

The number one Puckett collection that I know about belongs to a guy in Minnesota. He has me beat by at least 700 unique cards and I'm getting close to 3,200 myself... I've lost to him more times than I can count and have bested him from time to time as well. I personally trade with him & have helped him locate cards he needs and he's done the same for me. He's got a ton of Pucett card knowledge and someone that I respect.

There's a couple other Puckett collectors on this site (you know who you are =) that I feel the same way about. I've gone up against both of them on eBay regularly. I chat with them outside the boards and have helped/received help adding cards to our own collections.

Personally for me, you win some and you lose some, but along the way I've been fortunate to meet some great people who happen to collect Kirby Puckett cards just like I do.

With that being said, will someone please help me find a 1996 Select Certifed Mirror Gold Kirby Puckett for my collection? =)

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
I do have one that competes with me regularly and used to work for Boeing as well.. He retired and moved down to New Mexico..

We have shared cards we need and have sold our dupes to each other as well..

But lately there has been another collector start to outbid on us both..

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
My main competitor and I were on good terms and helped each other out for a short time, but the inevitable happened and we had a falling out. For it to work you have to have a really thick skin and/or not engage in buying practices that annoy the other person.

16christensen16

Mar 23, 2015
spencer iowa
I agree with what puckaddict said. You win some you lose some. I have many different things I collect and the competition is different. However competition doesn't bother me I like it. I'm friends with several people on and off the boards. The main reason is networking is the only way to go! And I just absolutely love looking and talking cards with other people. I never take anything personal and try to help out fellow collectors as best as I can. So to sum thing up, I'm friendly with virtually all of my competition. You win some and you lose some

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Got rivals for sure. But seriously, how much of a rival can you make collecting cards. I don't take it that seriously. And I don't think any of us are intentionally trying to screw over each other. It's also nice to have others to share info with. Helps us all out.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Have 2-4 active that I'd say are Super Collectors. Another few that I like who are/have stepped away recently and a few more I liked that quit years back. Those are still in the game I respect , some more of a relationship with than the others.

Ryan

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
I use to have one on JJ, but he gave up. Northcutt, I battled dawgnsuds fiercely for years. I ended up buying the '00 Ultra Masterpiece from him, but he hasn't responded to my emails about selling off any of his other Northcutt cards. Amaro, there is a couple that have been on there. One sorta just disappeared and another has taken his place.

bigunitcards

Sep 8, 2013
OKC, OK
I recognize 3 of the same names on auctions but only 1 seriously challenges me & would beat me on high-end stuff nearly every time (isn't as active lately I've noticed, and there really hasn't been much big at auction for us to battle over). I sold some RJ sticker auto cards when I was getting rid of those and I recognized the feedback score and letters as that person. We messaged back & forth once or twice but they weren't exceptionally chatty. Is is weird that the 2 big RJ collectors I'm aware of were both female? I wish I could talk to them more, I honestly don't know which of us has the biggest collection. bjbsue has a nice photobucket and definitely has me beat on 90s stuff, I'm lacking on that front.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
There was a collector who has since disappeared as far as I know. We would beat each other up pretty good trying to win the newest cards. One day, we struck a deal where I would back off on the #1 /XX card if he backed off on the jersey numbered cards. The only problem was if one of those numbers was the first one to show up for sale, we both wanted it. It seemed to work OK and we even traded one or two cards, but then he just kind of quit and disappeared. I'd like to know if he still has the collection or if he is buying under a different name and I just don't know it.

shadowking86

May 13, 2014
Believe it or not, there is actually another Sandy Alomar Jr. super-collector out there. He and I have made a few deals with each other in the past, including one time when he sent me all of his Tek cards I needed in exchange for all of my duplicate Tek cards. He has been super-collecting a lot longer than I have and so has a number of cards I would like to have, particularly with the Recollection autographs. I have been able to win a number of auctions over him in the last couple of years though, and for some pretty rare ones. Overall I would say our collections are fairly equal.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Frank Thomas has had a number of major collectors in the 18 years I've been on ebay. Back in the day there was lovegun and redrallyrandolph, among several others I can't recall, and today I assume at least some are still active but with the obfuscation of usernames it's tough to tell. There's a FT Collector facebook group and everyone there is pretty chummy. I had to pick my battles when I saw those names on the bidder list. I ran off the only other major Sizemore collector back in 2004. I had contacted him about helping me out with my collection but he was more interested in what I could do for him than vice versa. He was collecting all the Indians at the time like Hafner, Vizquel (actually he probably has some items that are now extremely valuable), etc. Then he sent me a sour-grapey message after I outbid him on a 1/1, and I think he stopped collecting Sizemore immediately after. I've butted heads with other collectors since then, but they were usually over the type of card rather than the player.

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
I had a huge one with my Precious metals set. After the first few cards where we always finished 1/2 in the bidding and the cards starting getting really expensive I reached out to him and we worked together to keep the prices down. Saved us each tons of money and we were able to really help each other out. Still stay in touch with him and try to help him out on some of his other PM projects. It is hard sometimes to let cards go when you really want them but the end game was all worth it.

jszczech

Dec 27, 2010
Minnesota
I regularly communicate with multiple other Puckett collectors. We used to battle it out a lot for cards now I think most of the time we would rather just save each other money. I will trade back and forth or just discuss cards that are out or coming out soon.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
I don't player collect but I had a guy use unpleasant language to express how angry he was I had outbid him on several heritage action variations. I don't even know how he managed to get my email which kinda freaked me out

16christensen16

Mar 23, 2015
spencer iowa
The way I look at it is if you can't be friendly with people you aren't going to get very far. I apply that with cards too. Becoming friends with my rivals has actually allowed my collection to grow much faster while saving me money. Sure I don't get everything I want but big deal. Being friendly is a good thing!

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
There's two members on here that collect Bernie besides me, both are more friends than competition. We help each other out and i am very glad about that. Makes it more fun.

Last edited:

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
The way I look at it is if you can't be friendly with people you aren't going to get very far. I apply that with cards too. Becoming friends with my rivals has actually allowed my collection to grow much faster while saving me money. Sure I don't get everything I want but big deal. Being friendly is a good thing!

Agreed, people who take the hobby too seriously annoy me to no end. I'll never understand how someone can get so angry over cards. Its supposed to be fun not stressful

oiccup41

Aug 27, 2010
Maine
There's two members on here that collect Bernie besides me, both are more friends than competition. We help each other out and i am very glad about that. Makes it more fun.

Agreed - [MENTION=2802]klute14[/MENTION] and I became friends due to Jim Rice collecting.