Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The 1998 Topps Tek Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

togaman

Oct 27, 2008
Houston
The fact that this card got a 10 from any grading business is kinda interesting. I would not touch this card for my own collection. I see a horizontal print line, missing foil from the yellow, and missing foil from the design on the upper portion of the card.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371535614038?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Looking at card there closer up there are also so many missing or worn down lines on the bricks in the design. In my own condition upgrade I did a couple years ago I eliminated cards like that or ones that have any scratches or any black tiny dots from my collection as well as the ones that have peeling around the edges of the silver ovals on back or misalignment of card # pattern# within those silver ovals. I still have about 30 cards Id like to replace. None are in bad condition except for a Hinch card 83 pattern# 56 which has too many blemishes to be considered mint or near mint. Most of the other 30 or so just have a few tiny black dots or some partially missing lines in background design like in this card mentioned. I bought one a couple years ago from a member on this board who said the AJ Hinch he had was mint but my dinged up pat# 56 was in much better condition than the one I bought. Oh well... it happens. I have found specifically that pattern # 36 for me was the most difficult pattern to get in mint condition for some reason and of the 30 on my Condition Upgrade Want list 6 off them are pattern # 36 cards (8,36,47,48,70,71,89).... Go figure..

Last edited:

brian26

Nov 12, 2010
I just hope no one pays more than $8 for that card because that's the book value and anyone who pays $12 is obviously driving up the price for no reason and stealing the $8 card from the people who rightfully deserve to have the card for their 6th card-number+61 pattern set ::facepalm::

LOL. Love it. So true.

brian26

Nov 12, 2010
But , but , but what I pay should be what all people should follow. And I'm tired of saying I'm going away and complaining so please just stop paying more than me and I'll send you a SASE for what I need, deal?

Ryan

I thought I had you on block! Now I'm going to put you on block! Don't need to see your messages!

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Finally passed the halfway point for Troy Glaus; now have 46 of 90. Been able to pick up a few nice and cheap on COMC, although I am wondering if there's a variation on the Glaus cards based on the pink smear on some of them. I have several patterns with the smudge, and a few patterns where the smudge has visibly been filled in. Haven't yet seen a copy of a smudge card with the smudge filled in, and I'm hoping they do not exist (don't need more work!).

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
I thought I had you on block! Now I'm going to put you on block! Don't need to see your messages!

But , but , but what I pay should be what all people should follow. And I'm tired of saying I'm going away and complaining so please just stop paying more than me and I'll send you a SASE for what I need, deal?

Ryan

I just hope no one pays more than $8 for that card because that's the book value and anyone who pays $12 is obviously driving up the price for no reason and stealing the $8 card from the people who rightfully deserve to have the card for their 6th card-number+61 pattern set ::facepalm::

Welcome to Blowout Cards...where we feel we are better than everyone else and feel the need to rub it in the most childish way possible...

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Welcome to Blowout Cards...where we feel we are better than everyone else and feel the need to rub it in the most childish way possible...

Oh god , have a sense of humor. Didn't you just get in a pissing match with [MENTION=2520]ChasHawk[/MENTION] ? Just smile and move on... The member who these are directed to is someone who has done nothing but talk garbage about good members on here.

Ryan

Last edited:

shadowking86

May 13, 2014
The race would be between two turtles on grass...As its hard to find new ones but there are surprises from time to time so good luck to both of you in your Jim Thome and Sandy Alomar chases.

I definitely agree. It has been slow going lately. If anything, he has the advantage with a player that has a strong hobby following. I can go months without seeing a new card.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Oh god , have a sense of humor. Didn't you just get in a pissing match with @ChasHawk ? Just smile and move on... The member who these are directed to is someone who has done nothing but talk garbage about good members on here.

Ryan

Another Blowout member...yes, that was me. It's just sad we can't just keep a normal thread moving positive, like the old days. There's not a lot of threads I read anymore, not sure why we have to muck this one up again!!

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Another Blowout member...yes, that was me. It's just sad we can't just keep a normal thread moving positive, like the old days. There's not a lot of threads I read anymore, not sure why we have to muck this one up again!!

Your right, positive is better. I try to compliment and stay positive in the threads I'm in. This member just gets to me and, yup we had some fun with it. I'll move on. But I think it's a lil hypocritical that this needs to stay positive but you were ok in being part of taking that one negative, what difference what thread it is? Also no idea why it matters if someone on here is on Blowout, I don't post there but I believe a lot of great members here go there as well. Anyway, moving on and I'll stop with the "muck".

Ryan

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Your right, positive is better. I try to compliment and stay positive in the threads I'm in. This member just gets to me and, yup we had some fun with it. I'll move on. But I think it's a lil hypocritical that this needs to stay positive but you were ok in being part of taking that one negative, what difference what thread it is? Also no idea why it matters if someone on here is on Blowout, I don't post there but I believe a lot of great members here go there as well. Anyway, moving on and I'll stop with the "muck".

Ryan

PM and apology sent...

westusmc

Jan 16, 2016
Tulsa, OK
I'm new to the forum. Is it bad form to promote something I have for sale online? I have 7 packs of 1998 Tek for sale. I'd remove the online posting for the right trade. I'm a Barry Larkin collector and I only have 1 of his 1998 Topps Tek cards.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I'm new to the forum. Is it bad form to promote something I have for sale online? I have 7 packs of 1998 Tek for sale. I'd remove the online posting for the right trade. I'm a Barry Larkin collector and I only have 1 of his 1998 Topps Tek cards.
I think most everyone on this thread would be interested in what you would be selling them for or if just straight trade, I'm sure some of us have Larkin cards.

westusmc

Jan 16, 2016
Tulsa, OK
The listing is off eBay. Someone paid $100 for the 7 packs within a few hours of my listing. I was honestly a little surprised they sold that quick.

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
Rich came through for me too. He got me pattern 54 for my Sandy Alomar Jr. collection. I just need 10 more:
8, 11, 13, 21, 27, 55, 71, 78, 83, 86.

Wanna race?

Yep, sounds like fun. We might be on here a while, lol. I noticed we both need pattern #83 . And I'm guessing pattern #90 will be my toughest card to get and maybe #27 for you. I'll keep an eye out for the ten cards you need. Good luck!

shadowking86

May 13, 2014
Yep, sounds like fun. We might be on here a while, lol. I noticed we both need pattern #83 . And I'm guessing pattern #90 will be my toughest card to get and maybe [URL=http://www.freedomcardboard.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=27]#27 [/URL] for you. I'll keep an eye out for the ten cards you need. Good luck!

I agree, this could take awhile. MansGame is still working on his and he only needs two to go. Yeah #27 is going to be tough for me. I found a guy at one point that had it but he did not want to move it. Disappointing, but moving on. I will keep an eye out for you too. Good luck to you.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I agree, this could take awhile. MansGame is still working on his and he only needs two to go. Yeah #27 is going to be tough for me. I found a guy at one point that had it but he did not want to move it. Disappointing, but moving on. I will keep an eye out for you too. Good luck to you.
Yea, it is crazy how much it slows down... I mean I think I'm going on a year since I got a base Tek I needed and maybe almost two years since I got a diffractor I have needed... makes you want to start another side chase of your guy since you see all these doubles popping up but I haven't made that decision yet LOL!

Members online

Latest posts