Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1 per direct acct!! What does that mean to you?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mario1975

May 9, 2012
Is Mario's a razor rep? Or has he just decided this is his argument? I could have sworn the way things worked around here was you needed to be a customer to talk in these topics, so Mario how many boxes did you buy of this? Or does that logic only work one way? Or do you now need to be a large customer now to have an opinion?

Not sure what you are getting at. Just sick and tired of people constantly attacking leaf and Brian and it seems disproportionately so. It seems he can never catch a break. It seems every time he says or does something people twist it into something else and put a negative spin on it. I mean even when he puts out a product that the vast majority of people seem to like he still gets crucified. I mean now he's getting hammered for an order form that affected absolutely nothing and did not hurt anyone in anyway and they are making it out to be like it was some evil plan that has destroyed people and their businesses! It's ridiculous! I also don't think you need to be a customer to give input in this argument. The discussion has nothing to do with the product, it's design, the cost, etc. All this discussion is basically about a stupid order form/email and a person basically being persecuted and accused of some kind of wrong doing but no one can still explain how they were hurt, screwed over, damaged etc by that email.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Correct me if I am wrong, but the argument being presented seems to be as follows:

1) Regardless of the fact that you were lied to or misled, you were only going to be able to buy one case;
2) Regardless of the fact that you were lied to or misled, you were going to buy the case; and
3) Since you got what you would have gotten anyway, being lied to or misled didn't harm you at all, so quit complaining that you were lied to or misled.

Can people not understand that being lied to or misled is the problem, that it is no way to treat customers regardless of their size and that it could have implications as to people's desires to do business with the company in the future?

I think some people in this thread are being purposely obtuse.

I see the issue as one of dollars. Due to scarcity, case prices have jumped a great deal. If a store wants a case they now must pay the big boys the inflated price.......How much money will be made by those who purchased more than 1-case?

wheeler281

Mar 6, 2009
Not sure what you are getting at. Just sick and tired of people constantly attacking leaf and Brian and it seems disproportionately so. It seems he can never catch a break. It seems every time he says or does something people twist it into something else and put a negative spin on it. I mean even when he puts out a product that the vast majority of people seem to like he still gets crucified. I mean now he's getting hammered for an order form that affected absolutely nothing and did not hurt anyone in anyway and they are making it out to be like it was some evil plan that has destroyed people and their businesses! It's ridiculous! I also don't think you need to be a customer to give input in this argument. The discussion has nothing to do with the product, it's design, the cost, etc. All this discussion is basically about a stupid order form/email and a person basically being persecuted and accused of some kind of wrong doing but no one can still explain how they were hurt, screwed over, damaged etc by that email.

How Dare you bring common sense into the discussion. Again I say How Dare you sir!

Sent from my Iphone "Sense of Entitlement 5" using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

Mario1975

May 9, 2012
Correct me if I am wrong, but the argument being presented seems to be as follows:

1) Regardless of the fact that you were lied to or misled, you were only going to be able to buy one case;
2) Regardless of the fact that you were lied to or misled, you were going to buy the case; and
3) Since you got what you would have gotten anyway, being lied to or misled didn't harm you at all, so quit complaining that you were lied to or misled.

Can people not understand that being lied to or misled is the problem, that it is no way to treat customers regardless of their size and that it could have implications as to people's desires to do business with the company in the future?

I think some people in this thread are being purposely obtuse.

The argument also is that people weren't lied to or misled. That implies that it was done purposely and with intent. These were emails/order forms sent directly to individual accounts. I think people took the statement one per account will be strictly enforced that was in their specific order form/email and assumed every other entity received the same order form/email with the same terms. To me it's like if I receive an order form to buy something and the order form limits the amount I can buy I don't assume that large corporations have the same limitation. I mean I don't have a hobby shop but my understanding is not all hobby shops or retailers are allocated the same amount of product. That's why I don't understand why people would think that because their email says one per account that they think Blowout or other bigger accounts would necessarily receive the same email with the same terms.

goldenegg1

Aug 7, 2008

There hasn't been much Leaf bashing lately because most of the products have been ok. Everyone knew this product would be hot, so I'm sure the direct accounts that were limited to one would have loved to scoop up more cases like the others who were able to do so. I think that is the big issue here. Why not spread the wealth?

deaconblues63

Oct 25, 2012
Could someone clarify what these two points mean?

1) This is ONLY available to direct accounts (not available to distributors)!!!!!
2) LIMIT ONE PER CUSTOMER NO EXCEPTIONS

These are quotes taken from the e-mail that BCA posted and I think this is where the misunderstanding comes from. I understand that internet retailers are neither direct accounts or distributors, so they are not subject to the one case limit, but what does the word "only" mean with regard to direct accounts?

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
I can see why you'd be miffed, but bigger stores deserve larger orders from manufacturers, regardless of if it's baseball cards or toilet paper or clothes, etc. Perhaps the notice is poorly worded since exceptions are made. Would it have made a difference if "this company" *cough*Leaf*cough* had levels of accounts, where say "Bronze Level" accounts had a strict limit of one and then the big "Diamond Levels" guys got their 5-25 or whatever the number is they got?

Regardless of how it's done, the bigger cats get more food, it will always be like that, and it is as it should be. Your corner store doesn't get as much Mountain Dew from Pepsi as Wal Mart or Target. The companies who always buy more and are able to sell more will always get first dibs and always have a larger pool of merchandise available to them.

Sent from my freezing cold bedroom with a broken radiator on my HP Pavillion using www.freedomcardboard.com/forum/

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
The word "only" in this sense essentially means that direct accounts will be the sole receivers of the product. The definitions found in a wide array of internet dictionaries makes it pretty clear what "only" means. The "no exceptions", if being told to someone, conveys that NO CUSTOMER will be receiving more than one case. Both statements seem pretty clear here.

goldenegg1

Aug 7, 2008
I can see why you'd be miffed, but bigger stores deserve larger orders from manufacturers, regardless of if it's baseball cards or toilet paper or clothes, etc. Perhaps the notice is poorly worded since exceptions are made. Would it have made a difference if "this company" *cough*Leaf*cough* had levels of accounts, where say "Bronze Level" accounts had a strict limit of one and then the big "Diamond Levels" guys got their 5-25 or whatever the number is they got?

Regardless of how it's done, the bigger cats get more food, it will always be like that, and it is as it should be. Your corner store doesn't get as much Mountain Dew from Pepsi as Wal Mart or Target. The companies who always buy more and are able to sell more will always get first dibs and always have a larger pool of merchandise available to them.

Sent from my freezing cold bedroom with a broken radiator on my HP Pavillion using www.freedomcardboard.com/forum/

This makes complete sense, had it been known the structure of the allocation, this conversation doesn't exist. But, due to the poor wording, this is what we have.

djrulz

Aug 7, 2008
Jamestown
I see the issue as one of dollars. Due to scarcity, case prices have jumped a great deal. If a store wants a case they now must pay the big boys the inflated price.......How much money will be made by those who purchased more than 1-case?

This was what I was thinking would be the damage done by the "lie/misunderstanding".

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
This was what I was thinking would be the damage done by the "lie/misunderstanding".

Collectors wanting to bust a box now are forced to pay $150-$175+ I think the product is great but not at that price. The "Collector" is now priced out of this product. AIC acts as a card shop for many of us and he and other shops getting 0-1 cases sucks for the collector.

brentandbecca

May 17, 2010
This info may not help, but I can share what I was told by multiple sources.
I saw the product info on BO and knew I was not a direct account, so I called 3 online retailers, knowing I would have to pay above direct price. 2 of them told me they could get me some, and did not limit me nor mention any limitations.
I have since learned that they too got an email from Leaf saying how many cases they were allowed to purchase which was more than 1, which makes normal sense, but I can see why some may feel the wording they received was not worded correctly.
Anyhow, I was told that their allocations came from all the direct accounts that OPTED not to take their 1 case, and being a stealth release that was ready to go, that they were offered the cases quickly as they had been some of the bigger buyers of products that Leaf could not sell well such as Ink, Ali, etc. Some of these online retailers had up to 40-50% of the print runs of those products because of lack of direct account sales...just look at how many cases of Ali that atlanta sports cards broke open weeks after it was not selling, wasn't it 100 cases?
Anyhow, others I know of bought 2-5 cases from other retailers as well.

I do have a couple of thoughts though. If this product was not good would anyone have cared ot said anything? No. because this has happened on other limited/stealth releases and folks didn't take it either as sales were soft.
This is a stronger product, as some have said, because it is 1990 Leaf. Period. But even with some nicer cards, there are many base or lower autos that may not make it easy to recoup funds from breaking...sealing sealed is different, as case prices have gone up obviously, and that is what this boils down too. Folks wanted more of a product because they see it is hot and they want to make money off of sealed wax. If this product was not hot, no one would care.
This point was made by BG and others. He was allocated based off of previous loyalty and purchases of Leaf products good or bad. Should it have been worded differently? YES!!!! And BG said this.
By the way for those wondering, I am not a new-Leaf fan, this is my first break of any of their products. I am an old-Leaf fan. I do think some products like the first Ali, or first Golf product are nice and that BG is trying, but it is just not for me especially non-licensed, but was thrilled to see the buybacks in this that have logos, etc. But some thought this product would be like others and just sit on the shelf for awhile, so some passed or were on the fence.

Anyhow, just like Leaf, or Topps, or even distributors, they reward those loyal customers with best qty and pricing. Who wanted want to buy more of a hot product they could make $ on? But it is those that have been around through it all on not-so-hot products or bad years that are rewarded. i have been told this many times in this industry and having bought large qty even during rough times or bad products have experienced it myself.

None of this will make anyone less upset I am sure, and the wording should have been different, and I can appreciate others' view on this completely. But I will also say, anyone that wanted more than 1 case, can still buy more from online resources or could have bought more last week before the price jumped and product was live. It was on web sites for sell, or like myself and some others, you could call or email sources. This does not make it better, but hope to show a broader picture.

Mario1975

May 9, 2012
Not sure it really affects pricing much. I think most hobby shops would still sell it at the market rate, whether that be higher or lower than the release price.

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
No one is forcing anyone to buy anything. Market is what it is.

Leaf knocked it out of the park with this one. So now critics gotta find something to cry about. So now why have a big old pity party for dealers who didn't get enough product. Call the whambulance on Leaf for it. It's just too funny.

Have to say Leaf threads are always good for FCB and most entertaing threads here.

Now this is what BG needs to keep doing this on his products. Ultra low print runs and low serial # cards all around.

Members online