Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Brian McCann to the Yankees - 5 years/$85M

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Y4NK335

Aug 7, 2008
TBD
I love the signing of the Yankees, but in my opinion the season rests on the shoulders of Soriano, A-Rod, and Texeira. $65+ million in former big bats that they need to come through big time.

Luckily only ~28m of that is between Soriano and Tex on the Yankees end and even if Arod gets only 50 games that would be around another ~19m, so those three should at least account for under $50m this season in a seemingly worst case scenario.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
The Yankees have (2) catchers, nuff said

Looking for Alex Rodriguez Cards, PM me.

You still haven't said which two you think are their catchers. Cervelli and Stewart will always be backups. Romine is god awful and Murphy isn't ready and probably will not develop into a solid catcher. Sanchez is not going to be ready for a while. Three years of McCann behind the plate and two at first base with Sanchez backing him up in year three and taking over in the fourth year. It's a no brainier IMO. They took their weakest position and made it a strength.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
I love the signing of the Yankees, but in my opinion the season rests on the shoulders of Soriano, A-Rod, and Texeira. $65+ million in former big bats that they need to come through big time.
Much of Sorianos salary is being paid by the cubs so that's not worrisome to me.

Tex does need to come through though and I expect soriano to contribute more than he needs to. He likes New York and looks to be comfortable there even after leaving for some years.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
The Yankees have (2) catchers, nuff said
....Who combined for the worst production at that position in baseball besides maybe the Marlins and Mariners. McCann is a HUGE upgrade at that position. Are you trying to argue that the addition of McCann doesn't make them a better team??

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
....Who combined for the worst production at that position in baseball besides maybe the Marlins and Mariners. McCann is a HUGE upgrade at that position. Are you trying to argue that the addition of McCann doesn't make them a better team??
I think he's saying he'd rather they have spent the money on an injury prone #3 starter or an overpaid, late 30's closer.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
I'm in the minority but couldn't the Yankees have just traded for Ryan Hanigan and improved themselves just as much with a lot less money spent?

Hanigan is an elite defender and would be a great holdover until their catcher of the future reaches the bigs.

djrulz

Aug 7, 2008
Jamestown
I'm in the minority but couldn't the Yankees have just traded for Ryan Hanigan and improved themselves just as much with a lot less money spent?

Hanigan is an elite defender and would be a great holdover until their catcher of the future reaches the bigs.

They don't have many players that other teams want.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
For anyone bashing this deal all I have to say is .... :lol:

This was the single biggest upgrade the team could have made.
The contract will be up when McCann is 35.
IIRC, McCann has lead the league in HR/XBH/RBIs since 2006.
He is a proven veteran that can handle a staff.

All true, we'll just ignore his worst years have been his last 3 and he is hitting the age when catchers begin to regress more rapidly.

Enjoy the returns for the next year or possibly two and then this just becomes another contract where the yankees have to overpay to sign a player...

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
All true, we'll just ignore his worst years have been his last 3 and he is hitting the age when catchers begin to regress more rapidly.

Enjoy the returns for the next year or possibly two and then this just becomes another contract where the yankees have to overpay to sign a player...

Pretty sure this isn't a Yankee phenomenon.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012

I'm might be in the minority but McCann > Hanigan.

The Yankees had money to spend this offseason and needed to upgrade certain positions. Catcher was one of our most awful positions last year. We upgraded it with the BEST option available. McCann is one of the top catchers in the MLB IMO (Besides Posey, Molina, and a few others)

Do you not understand this contract? the Yankees signed him to catch for three years giving sanchez two years more in the minors with a year playing backup. Then McCann moves to 1B cuz Tex will be gone. Then you have McCann for two years at First Base. I'll take that. We took our worst position and turned it into a position of power.
Pretty sure this isn't a Yankee phenomenon.
Love that comment. "Where the Yankees have to overpay to sign a player." Because no other team in the MLB ever overspends on a FA.

Players in FA are constantly overpaid when there is a weak market and Catcher almost never has a strong market. Power hitting catchers are few and far between and McCann will feast at the short porch in Yankee stadium.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
oh_lol_gif.gif

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont

Wow, you have got to be kidding me. I'm sure that Ryan Hanigan and his 0.0 WAR last year would be equal to Brian McCann.

Ryan Hanigan might be a good option for the backup catcher. Then again, why trade for him when you already have Chris Stewart.

Members online

Latest posts