Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Griffey Collector's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sevilst

Apr 6, 2014
Must have missed them, do you happen to have a link? Too dangerous to buy anything "Game used" without COA IMO.

heavy_hitter

Jun 26, 2009
I finished the 2010 Exquisite Griffey patch "rainbow." Just need to find a copy of the base/75.

2010_griffey_4of50.png

10_rodriguezgriffey_31of35_zps4b433661.png

suzuki_34of35.png

10_eqp8_10of15_zps63884513.png

Rainbow is complete. Picked up the base Exquisite last week:

10_griffey_71of75_zps7a0cd907.png

heavy_hitter

Jun 26, 2009
Nice! Congrats, heavy_hitter. It must be a great feeling as a collector to complete a mini-set, especially a set as nice as those.

Thanks. I consider myself lucky, especially given the scarcity of the Exquisites. I got great deals on three of the five cards and actually managed to pull the quad patch. The A-Rod combo patch cost me a small fortune, but I figured the cost across all five cards balanced out in the end.

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
Question on the 1994 Upper Deck Griffey/Mantle Autographs.

Since Upper Deck won't verify any of these are authentic, is there a database somewhere (maybe listed by serial #s ) to help determine the difference between REAL dual autos, and the ones that people forged a second signature on?

Sevilst

Apr 6, 2014
Question on the 1994 Upper Deck Griffey/Mantle Autographs.

Since Upper Deck won't verify any of these are authentic, is there a database somewhere (maybe listed by serial #s ) to help determine the difference between REAL dual autos, and the ones that people forged a second signature on?

I remember reading something that said their database information from the early 90's was lost so it may not be possible to verify by holograms on back which are dual/single auto variations. I could be wrong on this though so if someone has other info please chime in.

I'd say the safest way to go though is a PSA or BGS certified slabbed.

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
Yeah, when you try to call Upper Deck to verify any of those serial #s , they won't even comment. They won't comment as to why they won't comment.

What I'm thinking is the serial #s on the back correspond to what version they are. The duals that I have seen PSA/DNA certified have serial #s fairly close to eachother.

Example:
1994 UD Griffey autos Serial #s would be 00000 through 01000
1994 UD Mantle autos Serial #s would be 01001 through 02000
1994 UD Dual autos Serial #s would be 02001 through 03000

These #s are no doubt NOT right, but I remember reading somewhere that the authentic duals are certain range of Cert #s . Just trying to find someone who knows what numbers those are.

murphy17

Nov 28, 2010
I don't think buying one raw that comes with the authenticity card is any sort of authentication measure. I'm pretty sure that both the single signed and dual signed came with identically written certification cards in later releases (apparently Upper Deck had some extras after 1994). To be clear, the singles and dual did not come with any authentication card when pulled from 1994 Upper Deck retail. Also, most people also don't know that the autos were only found in retail that year.

I don't think there is any sequence to the serial numbers relating to single or dual. I've tried looking at these in the past before buying mine, and I couldn't find any correlation. It would be an interesting project if someone wanted to track these over time though, but I don't think there is a correlation, unfortunately.

If you know Griffey's sig, and you know Mantle's sig, it is pretty easy to spot a fake. If you know what to look for in terms of the characteristics of these two signatures, you should be ok. Remember, the guys at JSA or any other certification company are still human, and they look at these characteristics as well.

murphy17

Nov 28, 2010
But do the COA's say whether it is a single or a dual? I've seen a couple of the COA's, and they look exactly the same, from what I remember. I don't think there was any distinction, but I could be wrong. So, how does that help JSA? Also, are you only talking about verifying the duals? It seems completely pointless to authenticate the single autos, since no cards came unsigned.

Medoogan

Apr 4, 2014
Howdy all. I've got 65 Junior auctions ending tonight on eBay if anyone wants to take a peek. I'll also be listing 40-60, depending on how motivated I get. :)

Sevilst

Apr 6, 2014
But do the COA's say whether it is a single or a dual? I've seen a couple of the COA's, and they look exactly the same, from what I remember. I don't think there was any distinction, but I could be wrong. So, how does that help JSA? Also, are you only talking about verifying the duals? It seems completely pointless to authenticate the single autos, since no cards came unsigned.

So I've also heard before that some of the single Mantle autographs were either signed by Griffey later (whether being sent to him by collectors) or signed at shows etc. Those cards are technically real autographs by both players but would not have been authentically issued by Upper Deck as "Dual"

murphy17

Nov 28, 2010
Good point, Sevilist. One way to perhaps try to make sure that you have a legit Griffey signed for that product in 1994 is to look for the "y" in Griffey to come back under Griffey, like it does in mine. I'm pretty sure he stopped doing that after 1994, but he may have done it occasionally after that. I'm in no way saying pinbreaker's is not legit (it is of course legit), but it can be an added way to verify one that is ungraded. It really is a tough card. It's a shame that Upper Deck couldn't simply print the word "Dual" on the dual signed cards.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA

When I get home, I'll look at the COA for each..

Sevilst

Apr 6, 2014
Good point, Sevilist. One way to perhaps try to make sure that you have a legit Griffey signed for that product in 1994 is to look for the "y" in Griffey to come back under Griffey, like it does in mine. I'm pretty sure he stopped doing that after 1994, but he may have done it occasionally after that. I'm in no way saying pinbreaker's is not legit (it is of course legit), but it can be an added way to verify one that is ungraded. It really is a tough card. It's a shame that Upper Deck couldn't simply print the word "Dual" on the dual signed cards.

Noticed that as well but when I did a bit of research on Ebay and google to look at ALL the ones I could find of the SINGLE griffey auto far more did not have the Y come under and just end. Now I'm 100% certain that ALL single Griffey's are legit so I've been using those as a base and it seems that 90% (of what I've seen) do not have his Y going under his name.

EryUs9b.jpg

This is very interesting to me and I'm hoping if we put all our heads together we can maybe get somewhere!
I have one as well a Dual next time I head to the bank I'll snap a pic of it - I'm almost certain the Y is straight down.

Quick edit: Can anyone confirm if there were any of these issued as "Non Auto'd" versions? If so then we could confirm all single Mantles, and single Griffey's authentic and maybe start comparing the ink colors and autograph styles of the duals. Also signing literally thousands of these things his autograph may have gotten shorter/sloppier in the later signings. I have a couple that are numbered to say 50 and the earlier serial numbers 1-20 look cleaner than say 20-50

Attachments

• EryUs9b.jpg
    EryUs9b.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts