Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2010 "1990" ud stamped anniversary buy backs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

heavy_hitter

Jun 26, 2009
I wasn't here at the time but definitely wish I had been. Hopefully some show up again.

These were not packed out in 2010 UD. I've broken 25+ cases of 2010 UD and never seen a pack-pulled 1990 buyback.

There were a couple of backdoored sets of 1990 with the 20th anniversary stamp that supposedly came from someone at UD.

A few years ago, someone claimed to have purchased one set at a garage sale and was piecing out the set through Ebay, BO, and FCB.

I picked up the Carlton Fisk:

10_fisk_89_buyback_zps20610d90.png

shadowking86

May 13, 2014
I've sold a ton of 2010 ud, both hobby and blisters.
Also had several hot boxes w gu every pack and can't recall ever seeing one

These were not packed out in 2010 UD. I've broken 25+ cases of 2010 UD and never seen a pack-pulled 1990 buyback.

There were a couple of backdoored sets of 1990 with the 20th anniversary stamp that supposedly came from someone at UD.

A few years ago, someone claimed to have purchased one set at a garage sale and was piecing out the set through Ebay, BO, and FCB.

That was my understanding from reading this thread. I am just hoping the cards show back up at some point so I can get the two Sandy Alomars.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
First off................. in 2009 UD celebrated its 20th Anniversary........... why in the world would they do it again the next year also?? I'm Know the Sticker Holo's are Real but it just not compute...........

LostSpace23.jpg

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008

and kinda odd they would use the same Holo as the 1989 year too................

$_57.JPG

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
I still feel like they likely fed a 1990 set into the stamper on accident and someone walked out with them or dug them out of a dumpster

gmarutiak

Jul 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
First off................. in 2009 UD celebrated its 20th Anniversary........... why in the world would they do it again the next year also?? I'm Know the Sticker Holo's are Real but it just not compute...........

LostSpace23.jpg

Topps Heritage put a 50th Anniversary stamp on their buyback cards several years in a row.

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
the story behind them definitely sounds like it has more holes than swiss cheese. I truly believe these could have been cutting room prototypes or the printed run set for insertion abandoned after UD's license loss and the order to stop production and sale in 2010 before ever releasing series 2 happened. nobody will ever truly know I guess.. these are unicorns of the hobby but in hand these cards look/feel 100% legit.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL

LostSpace23.jpg

20th Anniversary of that particular set. Like Topps Heritage does year to year.

They're a weird oddball, guess I'm glad I grabbed the one I needed back then.

09UPPERDECKBUYBACK.jpg
10UPPERDECKBUYBACK.jpg

heavy_hitter

Jun 26, 2009
For a modern set, 2010 UD has a lot of mystery surrounding it:
  1. The existence of the 1990 buybacks referenced in this thread

• The lack of 1990 autographed buybacks (as advertised on the wrappers of hobby packs)

• The Signature Sensations set: According to another collector, UD Customer Service confirmed that nine (9) of the announced 100 SS cards were not produced: Wainwright, Granderson, Pie, Parra, Montero, Tolbert, Braun, Markakis, and Vanden Hurk. Additionally, given the volume of product that I’ve broken, the SSPs in the set are much harder to pull than the common autographs in this set. There are a handful of cards from this set that I have never seen.

• Exquisite base cards: It’s clear that there are not 75 copies of each card, despite the serial numbering. Card #86 also remains uncatalogued. I’m also assuming that both the Exquisite base set and the four (4) Exquisite patch sets both total 100 cards. These base cards were not fully recognized by Beckett until recently.

• Exquisite patches: There are only a handful of copies of each of these patches. Two (2) of the single patches and one (1) of the Combo patches remain uncatalogued. These patches were also not fully recognized by Beckett until recently.

• Double Take variations: All 25 cards have been identified online except the Heath Bell Ultra Rare variation.

• A 50 card retail exclusive add-on (601-650) called 2010 Upper Deck Baseball Wave 2 was never released due to the legal settlement related to the set. I've never seen any indication that those cards ever got out into the marketplace.
I’ve sent UD multiple emails but have gotten no response. My best guess is that the legal settlement bars them from commenting.

Last edited:

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
For a modern set, 2010 UD has a lot of mystery surrounding it:
  1. The existence of the 1990 buybacks referenced in this thread

• The lack of 1990 autographed buybacks (as advertised on the wrappers of hobby packs)

• The Signature Sensations set: According to another collector, UD Customer Service confirmed that nine (9) of the announced 100 SS cards were not produced: Wainwright, Granderson, Pie, Parra, Montero, Tolbert, Braun, Markakis, and Vanden Hurk. Additionally, given the volume of product that I’ve broken, the SSPs in the set are much harder to pull than the common autographs in this set. There are a handful of cards from this set that I have never seen.

• Exquisite base cards: It’s clear that there are not 75 copies of each card, despite the serial numbering. Card #86 also remains uncatalogued. I’m also assuming that both the Exquisite base set and the four (4) Exquisite patch sets both total 100 cards. These base cards were not fully recognized by Beckett until recently.

• Exquisite patches: There are only a handful of copies of each of these patches. Two (2) of the single patches and one (1) of the Combo patches remain uncatalogued. These patches were also not fully recognized by Beckett until recently.

• Double Take variations: All 25 cards have been identified online except the Heath Bell Ultra Rare variation.

• A 50 card retail exclusive add-on (601-650) called 2010 Upper Deck Baseball Wave 2 was never released due to the legal settlement related to the set. I've never seen any indication that those cards ever got out into the marketplace.
I’ve sent UD multiple emails but have gotten no response. My best guess is that the legal settlement bars them from commenting.

Wow , lots of good info there. Good luck finishing your Exquisite base set

Ryan

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
it just seems weird some guy would find a couple Boxed Sets at a garage sale, thats all

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
it just seems weird some guy would find a couple Boxed Sets at a garage sale, thats all

I always assumed the "story" was BS but cards were legit. Maybe he couldn't say he had a buddy who used to work janitorial at Upper Deck and fished them out of the dumpster or the back room where they were meant to be destroyed or he himself, worked for Upper Deck. But I have the Clark's in hand and they seem too good to be bogus. I definitely am glad to have mine, just think the whole story setting it up was probably junk.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Why can't we just assume that ud stamped the 90 cards at the same time as the 89?

They obviously thought they'd be making baseball in 2010 & 2011.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
It is stories like this that add a whole new dimension to the enjoyment and excitement of hunting down cards & collecting. We may never know the full true story, but from what I am hearing on all sides is that these puppies came from upper deck in some way, shape or form. I personally don't care how - I just know they exist, and while Upper Deck claimed that you can find them in packs of 2010 Upper Deck, but were never inserted, that adds all the more to the interest and desire of this type of card. These are definitely the bee's knees.

shadowking86

May 13, 2014
Does anyone happen to know if the guy that had these sets is still active anyplace or know how to contact him? I'm hoping he has not sold all of his cards and has the Sandy Alomar Jr.'s still. I have tried PMing him on here but no response, which is not surprising as it has been a few years since he was last here.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
I have been waiting with MUCH anticipation for my Canseco to come in the mail, and today it came! As a custom card maker myself, I can safely say that this was not from someone making them in their basement. I simply would not be able to replicate this if I wanted to. Somewhere along the line, I have caught the buyback bug, and while I paid a good deal for this, I'm confident if I ever do sell in the future, I'll do quite well. Congrats to all of you who landed yours!

Members online

Latest posts