Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Photo of the day Friday January 24, 2013 Game action at old Crosley Field

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
Once again I have an old photo of which I am unsure of the time frame. It is obviously 1957 or earlier as the Brooklyn Dodgers ceased to exist after that year. This photo shows some game action at Cincinnati's old Crosley Field. Perhaps maybe some of our baseball detectives can take this one up and determine when it was shot.

I love this photo because it shows just how much these old ball parks were a part of the neighborhood. Only Wrigley and Fenway are tucked away into neighborhoods now and they are the exception to the rule as now all stadiums are generally in less populated areas. This photo shows just how close the other buildings were and how the ball parks were carved into the neighborhood. I miss these old ball parks and wish we had a few more around.

I hope you enjoy today's photo of the day!

1535534_10201269704769127_39929856_n_zps1e72c54c.jpg

For a better perspective on where the scoreboard was located and the surroundings of the field itself I thought I would add this photo.

1956crosleyfield_zps4e714e9c.jpg

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
Love the photo and old scoreboard shots. Bet someone will beat me to the punch on determining the actual date.

I just found a great resource online for old Crosley Field. I have spent a good deal of time looking at the photos on that web site alone.

http://www.crosley-field.com/

Judging from what I am seeing, old Crosley Field saw a number of changes to the surroundings around the ballpark. I wish I had more time to invstigate but I am sure someone will pinpoint this photo.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
I believe this game is from Friday, July 21, 1950. I think the key is the doubleheader against Philadelphia on Saturday (look at the bottom of the scoreboard). The Phillies were in town starting that weekend and did play two on Saturday.

edit: and in checking my facts, I was beat to the punch! Good job, [MENTION=3331]toadfan106[/MENTION]

Members online