Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1955 Topps baseball cello rip on CU

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
I would have had to video that. Pretty incredible hits from that pack.

Interesting comment, and leads into a bit of an observation. I'm surprised nobody has brought this up over there, but CU has become a hug-friendly zone where dissent and controversy is not tolerated. A friend on another board finds it just a little odd that 19/20 cards were badly off center and a couple pretty darn near miscut... but the Clemente is almost perfectly centered. How does a card of that magnitude find its way into a pack that contains nothing but O/C?

I want to believe that the rip is 100% legit, but the absence of video proof does leave room for doubt.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Interesting comment, and leads into a bit of an observation. I'm surprised nobody has brought this up over there, but CU has become a hug-friendly zone where dissent and controversy is not tolerated. A friend on another board finds it just a little odd that 19/20 cards were badly off center and a couple pretty darn near miscut... but the Clemente is almost perfectly centered. How does a card of that magnitude find its way into a pack that contains nothing but O/C?

I want to believe that the rip is 100% legit, but the absence of video proof does leave room for doubt.

I was about to post the same thing. I never have been on CU, so I do not know how well known the guy is but he sounds pretty well known and respectable from the comments he got. That being said, even if [MENTION=1759]magicpapa[/MENTION] posted that break, I'd be like, "Whaaaaaaaat? Is that...posss...ible?" with a furrowed brow.

BenG76

May 15, 2013
Fancy Gap, VA

Yea I can see where you are coming from. It is also another reason why I would have made a video of it. I have no idea if the pack opening was real and I wont accuse it of not being real. Making a video would eliminate any doubt. Also I would imagine a pack rip of that magnitude would get a ton of views on YouTube possibly making the guy opening the pack a few bucks in ad revenue. Heck I post pack rips on my channel regularly and its not packs like that.

HOFcollector

Nov 29, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
thought about that too, but the alternate scenario is the guy buys or has an almost perfect 1955 clemente rookie, buys a $1700 pack just to pretend like he pulled the Clemente from the pack. I know it is far fetched to some of us in the "tech age" but some people simply do not know how to record and upload a video to youtube

Nate Colbert 17

Aug 10, 2008
Texas
Well, to be fair...some of "vintage" people aren't all that computer literate.

e8pzmf.jpg

Last edited:

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
Another red flag to some is the absence of any roller marks on any of the other 19 cards. It does seem weird that certain characteristics of the Clemente aren't present on the others.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Another red flag to some is the absence of any roller marks on any of the other 19 cards. It does seem weird that certain characteristics of the Clemente aren't present on the others.
Exactly.

*Perfect centering, despite every other card being horribly off-centered.

*Black ink roller marks, despite none on the other cards.

*Just happens to be the last card in the pack for dramatic effect.

Maybe all the stars alligned for this guy. The board members seem to believe him. Or maybe the mods there delete negative posts or ban pessimistic (or realistic) people.

alexs64

Jul 28, 2010
Moreno Valley, Ca
How many cards to a sheet? I think you guys are thinking the cards came from one or the same row. There is a sheet that they were cut from. Not necessarily the same row. Am I off base here?

A_Pharis

Yeah, it is really really really unlikely, but you'd have to see an uncut sheet to see the arrangement on the sheet. It's entirely possible that the Clemente is on a row on the sheet that happened to be properly aligned when cut.

Members online

Latest posts