Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Who should be in the HOF, but is not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nate Colbert 17

Aug 10, 2008
Texas
NOTE: I did zero research before typing this. so feel free to disagree with my opinion.

There has been a lot of posts lately regarding Tim Raines and whether or not he is a HOFer, so I decided to make my own "Not in the HOF, but should be lineup". I have left off those who will probably will get in (Bagwell, Hoffman, etc.) and those who are not yet eligible (Vlad, Pudge, etc.)

P Jack Morris/Tony Mullane
C Ted Simmons
1B Fred McGriff
2B Lou Whitaker
SS Alan Trammell
3B Dick Allen
OF Paul Hines
OF Vada Pinson
OF Tony Oliva

Who is on your team?

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
I dunno about McGwire or Sosa but the others are dead on

I hear a lot of people saying McGwire and Sosa shouldn't be in because they were just homerun hitters... then the same people argue that Rivera/Hoffman should be in... even though their game was one-dimensional as well (9th inning every 4 days).

Final career numbers aside (500+ HRs), what McGwire and Sosa did for baseball in 1998 put them over the top in my book.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I hear a lot of people saying McGwire and Sosa shouldn't be in because they were just homerun hitters... then the same people argue that Rivera/Hoffman should be in... even though their game was one-dimensional as well (9th inning every 4 days).

Final career numbers aside (500+ HRs), what McGwire and Sosa did for baseball in 1998 put them over the top in my book.

I think it's a combination of the fact that they were one dimensional, and that that one dimension was artificially enhanced. Many of the people who are open to PED users entering the Hall of Fame want to at least filter out players who they believe would not have been Hall of Famer's without PED's. It's generally assumed that bonds and Clemens would have been Hall of Famer's without using performance-enhancing drugs, but it is less clear that that would be the case for Mark McGwire or Sammy Sosa

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
I think it's a combination of the fact that they were one dimensional, and that that one dimension was artificially enhanced. Many of the people who are open to PED users entering the Hall of Fame want to at least filter out players who they believe would not have been Hall of Famer's without PED's. It's generally assumed that bonds and Clemens would have been Hall of Famer's without using performance-enhancing drugs, but it is less clear that that would be the case for Mark McGwire or Sammy Sosa

hashtag droppin' knowledge

patrick182

Mar 23, 2010
Can someone please help me understand why Sammy Sosa deserves HOF induction? The guy needed juice just to be any good at baseball. Before the HR chase of '98, he was basically a nobody.

Deserving or not, PED guys by design alone, will never be considered. I didn't make the rules but I do acknowledge them. Seriously though, should we think they deserve to be in the HOF when they cheated?

If I took a race car to a boy scouts pinewood derby contest and won, should I really be praised? This type of thinking is completely irreverant.

Last edited:

psj

Jul 24, 2015
Long Island
I'd put McGriff in over Mac and Sosa every day of the week. If McGriff hit 7 more honers to have 500, he'd b in already

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA

I think you put that nicely. I think Bonds, Clemens and Alex Rodriguez would have been in regardless of PEDs. Its a lot harder to argue that with Mac and Sosa but they were huge in bringing some fans back to baseball in 98

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013

Pretty much this... Would player x have made it w/o enhancement? If the answer is yes, they belong in the HOF.

Ryan

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Roger Maris

I've never understood the Maris Hall love. Yes, he had 1961, but one season does not make a Hall of Famer. Too high a percentage of his important stats came from 1961, and 1960 (his other MVP year). That's a two year peak that renders the rest of his numbers good for such a short career, but for a short-careered power hitter, he's no Ralph Kiner.

Members online