Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What do you think about ALTERED cards with AUTHENTIC pieces?

What do you think about altered cards with authentic pieces?

• Both signatures and relic swaps are fine if they are authentic & from the same company

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • only signature swaps are fine, and only if from the same company

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • only relic swaps are fine, and only if from the same company

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Neither are fine!

Votes: 12 85.7%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
I've often wondered about this before ... probably in one form or another when I heard people were wiping Pujols autos from his chrome rc to have him re-sign with a beautiful signature. IIRC, some hated it and some thought it was fine.

The thought popped up in my head again, when I've seen some low numbered and 1/1 cards with wretchedly plain swatches and/or sloppy autographs that are off the sticker.

So, here is the discussion question:

How do YOU feel about taking a 1/1 with a horrible Panini sticker signature and/or boring swatch & replacing with a beautiful Panini sticker signature and/or fantastic patch from a card numbered to /10, /25 etc?

If I bought one, and found out it was altered, I'd probably be miffed, but only if I couldn't verify that the patch piece was authentic or not. I guess in this fantasy question, you have to ask yourself if you could absolutely verify everything was authentic. In the real world, unless it was explicitly shown somewhere that it was modified, I would only be ok with a signature swap since you can tell from the sticker if real or not. If there was evidence that the patch was authentic, then that may be a different story.

Last edited:

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
The problem with altering cards in this fashion, the cards end up back in the market place and often not sold as such. Neither is fine.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
Neither is "fine"

but

Anything is "fine"

It all depends on what you know.

For me, If I had someone do it then it's cool and I would be all about it. If I knew the item I was looking at was done that way I would figure it into my purchasing decision.

It's all about disclosure. Ideally I would like to have the card as it came from the factory. If it were altered it would be less attractive to me no matter how the aesthetics were improved.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Nothing is in a collection forever, unless it is a museum. Eventually things make their way back into the market and this can pose a concern for future buyers.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
I agree. I am kind of against people making customs for this very reason. Eventually, most customs are going to hit the marketplace. This is not good for the future of this already dying hobby.

Custom cards are not the same thing as altering a factory issued card. I have zero problem with people doing custom cards, as long as they are presented as such in the marketplace.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Agreed. With advances in printing and technology, sometimes customs are better than the originals. As long as it is clear that these are not going to be confused with originals, then I love a lot of the custom work I see today.

Here is a favorite of mine right now. Without this custom, I don't have a cool Munoz signed card. Something like this was never made, although it does mimic a known set. A little research should allow future buyers to determine it is not a real Topps issued card.

Custom cards are not the same thing as altering a factory issued card. I have zero problem with people doing custom cards, as long as they are presented as such in the marketplace.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
Agreed. With advances in printing and technology, sometimes customs are better than the originals. As long as it is clear that these are not going to be confused with originals, then I love a lot of the custom work I see today.

Here is a favorite of mine right now. Without this custom, I don't have a cool Munoz signed card. Something like this was never made, although it does mimic a known set. A little research should allow future buyers to determine it is not a real Topps issued card.

We can agree to disagree then because most customs I see aren't labled as customs.

Customs are now a staple in the hobby for many collectors. I agree that if they are customs, they need to be labeled. I learned early on that if you don't label them as such, no matter how much the person promises at the beginning that it will be a "forever card", it always has a chance going to the open market, and thus the story of it being a custom is lost. This typically isn't a huge deal anyway for me, as I don't ever do copies of cards, but my stipulation for doing customs is that they need to say they are custom art cards on the back. I don't know if I've ever run into anyone I've done them for that has had an issue with me putting this on the back, however with that said, I'm not peddling these on ebay and people typically like that it is a custom.

On the other hand, there was this one person that asked me if I could make him several Ruth/Gehrig dual cut facsimile autos and not say they were reprints on the back. I politely declined, lol.

Aug 16, 2016
Central Florida
Yeah such a double edged sword if you will. As most people who have a heavy PC collection of a specific player seeking the help of someone that can add to your collection with either portions of materials or using photo shop can definitely give you that custom addition that sets your apart from the rest. That being said I think the majority know that there is a very very tight balancing act in order to maintain your PC reputation. I would no doubt love a custom using things that I have compiled to make it 100% original and authentic to ME! I think people need to understand that if you are seeking the help of someone to make a custom for you don't expect a profit. Custom doesn't come in a box and there is personal value into something like that. At the end of day the ME price far out weighs the true value which points to the reason you chose to have a custom made in the first place!!!

Members online

Latest posts