Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Collector's Corner Showcase, Volume 7: michaelstepper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Thanks again for Michael for participating this week !

Hi, Michael stepper is my real name (I know, real creative with the user name right) born in Southeast Alaska in 1980

1) When did you start collecting _______ and why do you collect ______ ?

Not exactly sure when I started, all I remember is a stack of mid '80's Topps ('84-'86) with a rubber band around them I carried for years. Most notably a white cloudish border card of Braves team leaders. Why do I collect? Not really sure. I enjoy the chase and owning a piece of history or self importance.

2) What was the turning point in your collecting ____ ? What put you over the edge and made you completely focus on ______ ?

In '90 my collecting started seriously with a Christmas gift of a Griffey Upper Deck RC. I had very specific instructions to never take it from the sleeve and top loader, so it's never left. I am a Griffey fanatic, but have branched to HOF autos and various other hitting achievements. Griffey was my main focus in the '90's for obvious reasons. Young kid, best player in the league, only games on my t.v. were Mariners, Cubs and Braves. And latter two very seldom. Griffey was the man and the reason I started collecting as a hobby, the reason I play outfield and the reason I can hit with more power lefty than my natural right.

3) What has been the high point in collecting ______ ? The low point ?

The high point in collecting has to be the community here and friends I've made on Beckett. Granted some pickups have left me excited or super pumped but being able to contribute to another collector's PC or talk baseball in general trumps opening those envelopes.

Low point... Early 2000's I got myself in over my head with all the new pickups and obsessive "need" to get as many higher end Griffey's I could. Couple that with the only time I've been jobless.. Young and dumb. Learned from it and now it's pretty much self sustaining unless a huge pc card shows up. Also been taken advantage of trade wise and Paypal wise lately but it's all good.

4) What deal did you have slip through the cracks, that you regret ? Why didn't it work out ?

Can't think of a deal I regret. Seriously, I've made the deal or I've forgotten about it.

5) What's your favorite piece / card in your collection ? Why ?

This question I have a hard time with.. Even in threads asking the same thing. I have a revolving "favorite" or I like a bunch of them equally. My griffey immortal inscriptions, 00 UD mariners patch, mantle auto, aaron auto, Gehrig jersey/bat or my immortal inscriptions autos I'm equally proud of them all

6) What's your wife / significant other / family think of your obsession (or collecting) for ______ ?

She's actually shown some interest and bought me a few things but it's lessened over the last year and a half. Which is fine. Her stance "if it makes you happy I'm all for it" and she keeps me from settling on horrible cuts.. Keeps me honest. If she doesn't like the look I don't stray to much

7) What's your white whale or just a card you can't seemingly track down or acquire ?

Missed my chance at an affordable Griffey bat nameplate, would love a button but won't spend the dough. If I ever snagged a nice gehrig cut I'd probably quit collecting for a while just to cherish it. Gehrig was my grandfathers favorite and holds a higher standard than anyone in the game.

8) Have you met the player you collect and what was the experience like ? (For set collectors, it'd be asking about meeting other set collector's of said set and having discussions with them).

Never met him and I'd probably be ridiculously shy and awestruck if I did making it awkward.

9) What is your biggest pet peeve about collecting ______ ?

Busting wax I never pull my guy. So frustrating and overpaying for cards on eBay...

10) How have forums / eBay / COMC helped your collecting of _____ ? How have they hurt ?

eBay has been enormous in adding to my overall collection. Used COMC once. Started on Beckett in 2001. My Griffey collection at that point was 250ish cards pulled myself, getting on there and trading only I sit over 1600 different currently. (I keep eBay purchases separate). Been burned a few times but can't say they've hurt (other than my wallet). Sometimes looking at a collection of someone else's of the same guy I collected discouraged me sometimes, but over that now

11) How much competition do you face in your collecting of _____ ? How often do you check forums / auction sites for your player ?

There's a new Griffey collector everyday. Anything else I choose to collect seems to have its own set of collectors. I set a price in my head and if it goes over, it's gone. Another will come around. If rare... well, no telling what I'll do. I check eBay and transaction forums 4-5 times a day....

12) Any thoughts of ever giving up the collection ?

Several times in down periods. Started a HOF PC 5 years ago and let it all go at a huge loss. But overall, I've shelved certain parts and sat on it until I was able to or interested in starting again.

13) How has the generosity of FCB'ers or other forum / site members helped your collection ? Elaborate.

I've had a few good deals in trades from several members on all boards. Most memorable was [MENTION=2413]MojoDan[/MENTION] sending me a Harry Hooper PSA slabbed auto out of the supreme goodness of his heart. I do everything off mobile so hard to add pics as I go. Add later FCB forum has literally changed me as a collector and I've taken that and applied that to my personal life as well. For example the true well wishing to and for other collectors and the generosity of this forum really opened my eyes. I hate to say that I was selfish but I didn't really think about anyone else's collection or well being beyond my own. I started here and getting older my viewpoint has significantly changed and my collecting habits and life are better in all aspects because of it. I still browse and participate in other forums, but this place is my home away from home so to speak. There's a lot people can learn from the elder members here. Listen, participate, don't pick fights or be opinionated and have a good time. If you don't enjoy it ... you shouldn't be doing it !

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Not to take away from your efforts here which deserve appreciation, but any chance you could re-script the "interview" to be a bit more fluid and/or dynamic instead of the same one dimensional questions? I just think a lot of context is being lost, fluid context that would make this much more personal and interesting.

Just my 2...

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
This is pretty awesome. Mike is a great guy and member. Cool thread. Look forward to future volumes.

---
Buying Albert Belle cards! PM me!

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
Great thread dave. Awesome mike how you talk about being a part of the comunity of collectors on here, great stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app