Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Thinking about starting a collection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

buck724

Jul 22, 2010
Hey everyone,

I grew up in the hobby, and love cards. I was thinking about starting to display them, and it made me think of maybe starting a new vintage collection. Any tips for when I start looking to buy? Thanks in advance!

Mamunrud

Aug 14, 2008
Dubuque, Iowa
My suggestion on vintage is not get too worried about condition at the start. Buy what you can afford and of players you like. There's lots of decent condition star cards out there that can be found at good bargains. I look for decently centered stuff, allow for less than perfect corners but stay away from creased or surface wrinkles.

Nate Colbert 17

Aug 10, 2008
Texas
If you are going to try and complete a set, start with the most expensive card(s) first...especially if you have B&BCOC&ADD* like me.

My "failures"...
T206 set (Wagner, etc.)
1948 Bowman Basketball (Mikan)
1957 Topps Basketball (Russell)

*Baseball and Basketball Card Obsessive Compulsion and Attention Deficit Disorder

21ccl

Aug 26, 2012
Just collect what you like. Do not get things you do not like and like said before,do not worry about condition. Most importantly is about having fun,it a hobby not a business even though people try to make it.

buck724

Jul 22, 2010
Thank you all for the input, I appreciate it! I think I might go with the 1964 Topps set...I like the look of it, along with the team name big across the top. I got my start to it yesterday actually. Growing up, my Dad is the one that got me into the hobby, and we both still collect. I told him that I wanted to start a 1964 Topps vintage collection, and he ended up giving me one of his prized cards that he had growing up as a kid, a 1964 Topps Pete Rose. Didn't even know he had it, lol. I'm pretty excited :)

21ccl

Aug 26, 2012
Thank you all for the input, I appreciate it! I think I might go with the 1964 Topps set...I like the look of it, along with the team name big across the top. I got my start to it yesterday actually. Growing up, my Dad is the one that got me into the hobby, and we both still collect. I told him that I wanted to start a 1964 Topps vintage collection, and he ended up giving me one of his prized cards that he had growing up as a kid, a 1964 Topps Pete Rose. Didn't even know he had it, lol. I'm pretty excited :)

Wow... Good luck on the set!

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
When doing vintage try and find the card with the best eye appeal within your budget. More expensive cards should be purchased graded for extra security and piece of mind.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

buck724

Jul 22, 2010
The set I want to get is 69 Topps, love the card set u doing to!

Thank you! The 69 Topps set is great. It's a clean/simple look, and has some awesome players. Good luck if you start collecting it!

Mamunrud

Aug 14, 2008
Dubuque, Iowa
I have some reasonably priced 64 stuff whenever you're looking to pick up some more. Just a few star cards left but lots of commons and minor stars.

Nate Colbert 17

Aug 10, 2008
Texas
The set I want to get is 69 Topps, love the card set u doing to!

I collected the 1969 set in 1969. Therefore, they cannot be considered vintage, lest I also be deemed vintage. :)

tumblr_lg7ujwSKLa1qafrh6.png

Good luck with the set!

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Decide if you are going after a set, team set or specific players. Determine what condition you want them in. Buy lots of cards when starting a set, as you can get some good deals that way.
DANNY

Members online

Latest posts