Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Hobby terms which irk you

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pujolsthomefan33

Aug 7, 2008
Illinois
How about the eBay terms Like LOOK HOTTTT SP etc?

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Those dont bother me as much as keyword spamming like NO AUTO, NO MANTLE, etc.....nothing is better than searching for a Stan Musial Autograph and have more than 20 listings that are just plain jerseys that say NO AUTO in the item title...

TK

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
I don't know why but when people call The National "The NationalS", it kind of irks me.

And "paper" is still utterly annoying when referring to Bowman.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
I don't know why but when people call The National "The NationalS", it kind of irks me.

That kind of sounds like there is some sort of regional tournament that leads to dealers getting their slot to compete for the national championship. If there was anything left of the deep-pocketed hobby media (ha!) there would totally be a contest.

I am increasingly annoyed at seeing the word "true" pasted in front of any other hobby term. "True rookie" or "True team set" just pisses me off for some reason. Don't go dragging something as subjective as "truth" into this hobby, just give me facts.

Jun 30, 2010
Since there are so many smokers in the world I would prefer to believe that the person selling the card is truthful and is using the terms as a marketing tool. I like to read that it is from a smoke free home, so obviously it works for me as a buyer. Of course, if the card smells, then you can always return.

Jun 30, 2010
Mojo. Can't stand or even know what it actually means. Also the phrase or something like this " This card would make a great addition to any collection." REALLY NOW!!!!! ANY card would be a great addition to a collection..

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
This card comes from a smoke-free home."

I like the term. Gives me a heads-up compared to someone who doesn't use that term, sells me a h/c set and it heavily reeks of cigarette smoke when you open up the box. I guess it gives a new modern meaning to "tobacco" cards. ;)

mudflap02

Jan 23, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL
Bowman Paper actually helps when describing the parallels.

If you say "Bowman Blue Jonny Gomes", it's kind of vague. "Bowman Chrome Blue Refractor /150" or "Bowman Blue Paper /500" are much more descriptive.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Bowman Paper actually helps when describing the parallels.

If you say "Bowman Blue Jonny Gomes", it's kind of vague. "Bowman Chrome Blue Refractor /150" or "Bowman Blue Paper /500" are much more descriptive.

Bowman = Paper
Bowman Chrome = Bowman Chrome

IMO

Ryan

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
I hate the term "sick" if any card is sick i hope they get better.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Enfuego79

Jan 21, 2013
Deltona, FL
Maybe it's just me, but it makes my blood boil when collectors solely rely on the eBay as the sole source of monetary value of a card/s. The value of a card IMO is simple, " how much is a buyer willing to pay"?

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
I cannot stand when someone refers to themselves as a super collector. to me, that is a title which needs to be bestow upon you and not self proclaimed. I understand that it has taking on a meaning that means one who collects everything and anything of a given player, but I still don't like it.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Apparently you either smoke or you have never received cards from a smoker. It is obvious when you open an envelope that the cards were from a smoker. I regularly buy from a guy who I know smokes and I have to air out the cards before I sleeve and store them! It is a minor irritation, but one I am willing to overlook due to what he sells.

But there's no way to prove it even if they ship in a clean toploader.

One of my peeves is "rainbow". It obvious is not going away, but it just sounds dumb. I also don't really care for the newer, popular (at least at the time) slang terms used in the card arena, such as mojo, sick, etc. It seems that they become "trendy" and then people feel the need to use them to fit in or be trendy themselves.

The masses of ebay marketing "experts" have come up with plenty of terms as well that just don't seem to make sense or fit with what they are selling.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I tend to agree with this line of thinking as well, although what is worse for me is when collectors are asked to submit their collections to a vote to be given the official title, such is the case on several trading card sites. The real problem with having that title bestowed upon you is that you must be a self promoter to make it happen. There really is no other way. I imagine there are outstanding collections out there that most or all of us are oblivious to, because the owner decides not to share any information. Always touting yourself on a message board or creating a tribute or display site are nice ways to share, for those who do share, but that becomes the only measure for the rest of us to compare. Depending on the player involved, you might be able to name a few "super collectors" from these sites, but are they really the best of the best or simply the one collector you know about? Using a few select members here who collect Dawson, Gwynn, Bonds, Belle, Canseco, etc. We may hear about those collections and see photos and such, but do they have the best and most complete collections in the world? Does it even matter? Can there be 100+ Greg Maddux "super collectors", a select few or only ONE?

I cannot stand when someone refers to themselves as a super collector. to me, that is a title which needs to be bestow upon you and not self proclaimed. I understand that it has taking on a meaning that means one who collects everything and anything of a given player, but I still don't like it.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I think super collector doesn't mean the best collection, but they strive to have the most complete collection they can. There are different versions IMO of super collecting , where one could just be cards , and another can be cards + other categories , and then cards + everything else that exists with something related to that player. It's basically referring they are trying to collect everything in the categories they have interest in. Where a "collector" may say, I collect Joe Schmoe and is fine with 100 cards out of the 2000 that exist. Super collector doesn't equal best collection there is.

Ryan

Members online

Latest posts