Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

"Weirdest" place you've bought or found cards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Will Style 13

Feb 9, 2012
York, PA
also,there was a pinball machine that use to give out baseball cards
Slugfest.jpg

I actually found an arcade about 30 minutes from me that still has one of these. No cards in it though. So I didn't waste the quarters.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
At the Roger's Centre they still have card vending machines. They're the kind with the coil things that turn and the item drops down to the door that you open to retrieve it. Problem is many of the cards are not in any sort of protection so the drop would certainly damage it.

Sent from my Android using the Freedom Cardboard app.

awesome, what variety do they have?

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Common stuff like '88 Donruss Alomar RR, packs of early 90's OPC Premier, and singles of guys like Halladay and Delgado from the late 90's and early 2000's.

Sent from my Android using the Freedom Cardboard app.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I think the weirdest place is the Houston Livestock show and Rodeo. They'd have vendors set up there and I remember buying cards there in the early to mid 90's.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
In Amish country in 1994, we went to a place which had all different vendors specializing in Amish foods and items.

And there was a baseball card dealer as well.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Earlier this year, I found a lot of 1967 Topps (including some NM high number SPs) in an antique shop in Putnam, CT. I say this was an unusual place to find cards since every single antique shop I've ever been had either no cards, or some boxes full of low-grade 80's commons.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
In my own bed. My grandparents had this antique bed with a very elaborate frame and headboard that I used to sleep in when I was a kid. When I got out of college I stayed with them in their town while I looked for work. One morning I was stretching out and stuck my hand down the frame and felt something. When I looked I found 3 baseball cards, 1975 Topps Minis (no stars, Al Bumbry was one I remember). I have no idea what they were doing there, but I suppose when I was a kid I must have somehow acquired them and lost them down there. 1975 is my favorite set and I faintly recall getting some minis from a card shop when I was maybe 10-11 but find it hard to believe I would have lost track of them, as I was obsessive about my cards. I don't think they would have been from the 1975 timeframe, as although I did get some packs back then, it's doubtful I would have had access to a mini pack in suburban Philadelphia. The thing is, they were in great shape. Sitting in the frame of a rarely-used bed for 17 years is great protection, apparently.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Long ago, I believe it was in the mid to early 80's because I distinctly remember Cindy Lauper being big at the time, me and some of my friends were rooting through my attic (because we were moving). We came across an old map of our town with some obscure refrence to a treasure or something so being young and dumb we decided to follow it.

It initially took us to some rundown seasonal resrurant long since closed but after a bit of snooping we haphazardly discovered an enterance to an underground cave through the basement, and not a minute too soon because we heard what could only be described as the houling of some sort of half man half beast near by, so we were eager to get out by any means.

Not long in to our hunt for the 'lost treasure' we came up to a long narrow chamber with what looked like gigantic rocks hanging from the dark ceiling, however we were taken back by what appeared to be a decades old dead 'somebody' on the ground.

Everyone was pretty spooked at this point but I was intrigued as to who it was so I searched his person, found his wallet and to this day still remember his name, 'Chester Copperpot'.

He was also clinching some book and upon further inspection it revealed his bookmark being used as a 1973 topps Lou gherig leader card. I vaguely remember the rest of the time but know it involved some bad guys chasing us, a ship, some gold coins and jewels, ect...

But will always remember the card.

Last edited:

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
Long ago, I believe it was in the mid to early 80's because I distinctly remember Cindy Lauper being big at the time, me and some of my friends were rooting through my attic (because we were moving). We came across an old map of our town with some obscure refrence to a treasure or something so being young and dumb we decided to follow it.

It initially took us to some rundown seasonal resrurant long since closed but after a bit of snooping we haphazardly discovered an enterance to an underground cave through the basement, and not a minute too soon because we heard what could only be described as the houling of some sort of half man half beast near by, so we were eager to get out by any means.

Not long in to our hunt for the 'lost treasure' we came up to a long narrow chamber with what looked like gigantic rocks hanging from the dark ceiling, however we were taken back by what appeared to be a decades old dead 'somebody' on the ground.

Everyone was pretty spooked at this point but I was intrigued as to who it was so I searched his person, found his wallet and to this day still remember his name, 'Chester Copperpot'.

He was also clinching some book and upon further inspection it revealed his bookmark being used as a 1973 topps Lou gherig leader card. I vaguely remember the rest of the time but know it involved some bad guys chasing us, a ship, some gold coins and jewels, ect...

But will always remember the card.

LOL!

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
A Safeway near me last year had 2 vending machines, hadn't seen cards in a traditional grocery store for a long time.

Ryan

Members online

Latest posts