Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Who gets into the HOF in 2016

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Griffey, Piazza (Griffey should be highest % ever)
I can live with Hoffman and Bagwell like I can live with Rice, Sutter, Perez
I do not think Raines belongs, and think it's a joke he's constantly supported as such
Bonds and Clemens should be in, as should Rose
The Veterans Committee is not my favorite, as I think they vote too many in.

I have to admit, even though the HOF voting went exactly like I thought (except maybe Raines getting more votes that I thought):

I am a bit disappointed Junior did not go into the hall alone. The more I read and watch and remember Junior, having Piazza around during the ceremony is going to be a little anticlimactic! I thought they'd both make it, but to me there is a WIDE difference between them!

zlpeterson

Sep 23, 2015
San Francisco
Not to debate who should've made it versus who shouldn't have made it, I'm just of the opinion that the HOF should really be a one shot deal. If you weren't HOF worthy this year why are you HOF worthy 5 years from now??

Also upset that 3 jackholes didn't vote for Jr....you kidding me? Revoke the rights of those 3 immediately!

Enfuego79

Jan 21, 2013
Deltona, FL
Not as good as Jr.

They were both talented and fun to watch in their own respective ways. Griffey performed exceptional at the plate and in the outfield while Jeter did his thing at the plate and at SS. Both have some outstanding highlights, both have made tremendous contributions to the game. I think overall, they both compliment each other.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Not to debate who should've made it versus who shouldn't have made it, I'm just of the opinion that the HOF should really be a one shot deal. If you weren't HOF worthy this year why are you HOF worthy 5 years from now??
Then I guess these guys wouldn't be in the Hall of Fame, since it took them more than one shot:

Joe DiMaggio, Cy Young, Rogers Hornsby, Jimmie Foxx, Grover Cleveland Alexander, Yogi Berra, Lefty Grove, Carl Hubbell, Whitey Ford, Roy Campanella, Mel Ott, Tris Speaker, and the list of legends goes on and on.

It would be a tiny Hall of Fame, and include first ballot borderline guys like John Smoltz but no Cy Young or DiMaggio.

I do see your point, but the voters are morons and cast their ballots based on their own agenda and rules, so getting only the true legends in on the first try will never work.

U L Washington Rookie

Dec 7, 2012
D Town
They were both talented and fun to watch in their own respective ways. Griffey performed exceptional at the plate and in the outfield while Jeter did his thing at the plate and at SS. Both have some outstanding highlights, both have made tremendous contributions to the game. I think overall, they both compliment each other.

You're letting your extreme bias show. Jeter wasn't that great in the field most seasons.

Consider this: in career bWAR, Jeter is narrowly ahead of Trammell and his a bit behind Whitaker. I'm not saying that bWAR is perfect, but it's a decent starting point.

zlpeterson

Sep 23, 2015
San Francisco
Then I guess these guys wouldn't be in the Hall of Fame, since it took them more than one shot:

Joe DiMaggio, Cy Young, Rogers Hornsby, Jimmie Foxx, Grover Cleveland Alexander, Yogi Berra, Lefty Grove, Carl Hubbell, Whitey Ford, Roy Campanella, Mel Ott, Tris Speaker, and the list of legends goes on and on.

It would be a tiny Hall of Fame, and include first ballot borderline guys like John Smoltz but no Cy Young or DiMaggio.

I do see your point, but the voters are morons and cast their ballots based on their own agenda and rules, so getting only the true legends in on the first try will never work.

Right I'm not saying they shouldn't be in, I am saying that they should've been in on the 1st ballot. I just don't get the logic behind; you're not a HOFer this year...but hey maybe next year you are! Either you are or you aren't.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
I think Jeter should get 100% because no one performed like he did on the biggest stage. He has some of the most epic moments in the post season and I think that does matter. Lots of great players have the big knock of couldn't get it done when it matters. I'm a Yankee fan but still no one is Jeter in the post season.

U L Washington Rookie

Dec 7, 2012
D Town
Any shoo-in 'should' get 100% of the vote, and it may happen for someone eventually. But it wouldn't be because of the falsehood that Jeter was better at baseball than Jr (or Aaron, or Mays, or ...). It'd be due to changing demographics of the voters.

Jeter's postseasons were consistent with his regular season. He simply had a full season's worth of postseason games to contribute to confirmation bias. The postseason counts, and definitely is a big positive. Great career, great moments, tons of success. A sure-fire HoFer. But not better than Jr and many others who didn't end up with 100% of the vote.

And for those who bring up defense, it's a mistake to try to prop up Jeter that way: from b-r's WAR calculation (again, not a perfect stat), Jeter's dWAR was greater than zero only three times in his career; his max was 1.1; cumulative it's -9.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
I think Jeter should get 100% because no one performed like he did on the biggest stage. He has some of the most epic moments in the post season and I think that does matter. Lots of great players have the big knock of couldn't get it done when it matters. I'm a Yankee fan but still no one is Jeter in the post season.

I did not realize that the Hall was based upon post season success. This article in fact discusses the falicy of the importance of post season and WS titles.
http://blog.masslive.com/redsoxmonster/2014/09/major_league_baseball_2014_5_p_1.html

Nate Colbert 17

Aug 10, 2008
Texas
Next year's first timer class would appear to be fairly weak (Manny, Vlad, & Pudge), so hopefully Hoffman will get in next year.

zlpeterson

Sep 23, 2015
San Francisco
I agree that Jeter is another guy that deserves 100%, but if Griffey didn't get it....no one is. In my eyes Griffey is almost, or is, the Jordan of baseball.

They both came on the scene around the same time, both got their own line from Nike (Jeter did not), both made their sports insanely popular. And even if you rooted against their teams they were almost impossible to hate (unless you're Joe Dumars). Jeter did not do for the sport of baseball what Griffey did and I honestly say that with an insane amount of respect and appreciation for Jeter.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
Next year's first timer class would appear to be fairly weak (Manny, Vlad, & Pudge), so hopefully Hoffman will get in next year.
Vlad and Pudge should both get in. Manny obviously is gonna have problems, Pudge might as well due to the allegations.

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
I agree that Jeter is another guy that deserves 100%, but if Griffey didn't get it....no one is. In my eyes Griffey is almost, or is, the Jordan of baseball.

They both came on the scene around the same time, both got their own line from Nike (Jeter did not), both made their sports insanely popular. And even if you rooted against their teams they were almost impossible to hate (unless you're Joe Dumars). Jeter did not do for the sport of baseball what Griffey did and I honestly say that with an insane amount of respect and appreciation for Jeter.

Preach

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I can't stomach reading anymore than the first 100 posts but I get it.

I would have said Jr for sure but not 100%, doubt anyone ever gets 100%

I am not huge on anyone else but MP is cool with me.

Not a huge Bagwell fan and definitely don't see Bonds, Clemens, etc. making it but maybe I'm wrong.

As for the Rock, definitely not. Sorry. Not happening IMO.

This all said, let me mention Albert Belle. I think he should be accepted by the vets committee ;)

Members online

Latest posts