Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Who is in the HOF but shouldn't be?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
For several in the hall, that is just a product of hanging around forever to get to that number.

I'm fine with that though. If some team wants to trot a grizzly veteran out there to chase records, good for them. They can live with the good and bad that comes along with that.

Someone said earlier that the game is ever changing so we couldn't have set statistical benchmarks in place for entry. Who says we can't change the criteria? Hell, at this point why not have tiers in the Hall of Fame? There are already plenty of players in there already who many feel don't belong. Why can't there be tiers? I can't say I would be in favor of that, but people are so afraid of change it's ridiculous.

It's just a fictional thing that a bunch of good old boys created so people can feel special, anything can be done with it that they want to do.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
cheaters.jpg

Sig40cal

Jul 23, 2012
Atlantic Highlands, NJ
To start I love the fact that MLB's HOF is the most exclusive of the 4 major sports in this country. Like others have said it's the HOF not the "hall of good, very good, great". I think that guys were voted in that shouldn't be in and I think that guys that should be in aren't in. I'm of the opinion that if you dominated your position regardless of when or where then you should be in the HOF. Compilers or guys that just hang on 3 seasons too many is a negative in my eye.

I also don't like the fact that defense other than shortstop is an automatic "IN" to the hall. You have guys that roamed the outfield with the best of them, but don't get a vote because they didn't lead the league in any major offensive stat. Defense is half of the game being played or is it just 9 innings of offense?

And trying to compare eras with others is just plain idiotic. There is a reason Ted Williams was the last to hit over .400. There is a reason why 3 inning relief pitchers like "Goose" were frowned upon for so long.

Baseball is a living breathing organism, trying to "compare" guys of vastly different eras does not and will not work as hard as you may try.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
To start I love the fact that MLB's HOF is the most exclusive of the 4 major sports in this country. Like others have said it's the HOF not the "hall of good, very good, great". I think that guys were voted in that shouldn't be in and I think that guys that should be in aren't in. I'm of the opinion that if you dominated your position regardless of when or where then you should be in the HOF. Compilers or guys that just hang on 3 seasons too many is a negative in my eye.

I also don't like the fact that defense other than shortstop is an automatic "IN" to the hall. You have guys that roamed the outfield with the best of them, but don't get a vote because they didn't lead the league in any major offensive stat. Defense is half of the game being played or is it just 9 innings of offense?

And trying to compare eras with others is just plain idiotic. There is a reason Ted Williams was the last to hit over .400. There is a reason why 3 inning relief pitchers like "Goose" were frowned upon for so long.

Baseball is a living breathing organism, trying to "compare" guys of vastly different eras does not and will not work as hard as you may try.

These are the same talking points as all the old farts who just lost their votes this year.

patrick182

Mar 23, 2010
Anyone else here think it's suspicious that 2 years after Ron Santo's death, which was 36 years after his last game, he gets elected into the HOF?

Stats:
9x AS
5x GG
2254 Career Hits
342 Career HR
.277 Career AVG

Hit stats are comparable to guys like: Scott Rolen, Ruben Sierra, and Bobby Bonilla. None of which are, or will ever be in the HOF.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
Anyone else here think it's suspicious that 2 years after Ron Santo's death, which was 36 years after his last game, he gets elected into the HOF?

Stats:
9x AS
5x GG
2254 Career Hits
342 Career HR
.277 Career AVG

Hit stats are comparable to guys like: Scott Rolen, Ruben Sierra, and Bobby Bonilla. None of which are, or will ever be in the HOF.

Take those stats you put up there, and compare them to Brooks Robinson's.

Those who saw Santo play regard him as one of the best 3b to ever play the game.

He was also brash and ****y, which in his era irked some of the writers and fellow players.

So after he died, many of them who had been dicks, and held him back all that time while he was alive, finally voted for him.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
Brooks Robinson - 23 seasons
.267/.322/.401
.723 OPS
2,848 hits
268 HR
1,357 RBI
78.4 WAR
4,270 total bases
.971 Field %
162 game avg – 159 hits/15 HR/76 RBI

Ron Santo - 15 seasons
.277/.362/.464
.826 OPS
2,254 hits
342 HR
1,331 RBI
70.4 WAR
3,779 total bases
.954 Field %
162 game avg – 163 hits/25 HR/96 RBI

Last edited:

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
And just for ****s and giggles...

Scott Rolen – 17 seasons
2,077 hits
316 HR
1,287 RBI

Ruben Sierra – 20 seasons – none at 3B
2,152 hits
306 HR
1,322 RBI

Bobby Bonilla – 16 seasons – approx half at 3B
2,010 hits
287 HR
1,173 RBI

IndyManning18

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Santo's career was also cut short due to diabetes, [MENTION=4293]patrick182[/MENTION]. Politics kept Santo out of the HOF until after his death. The sports writers of his era who have voting rights didn't like him. He was brash & ****y and it rubbed some writers the wrong way. Politics, not numbers.

If you took every Cubs player out of the HOF, @SuperMario would be perfectly happy. It's no secret that he despises the Cubs for some reason. "Derp, I'm a Cardinals fan so, derp, I hate the Cubs with the fury of a thousand suns. Derp."

I'm a Cubs fan and I don't hate the Cardinals with a passion. I just love the game of baseball. If that makes me less of a Cubs fan to people, I couldn't care less.

This discussion is tiresome.

The HOF has a business to run and will always have people inducted that others wouldn't consider HOFers. It's about money.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The HOF has a business to run and will always have people inducted that others wouldn't consider HOFers. It's about money.
That makes no sense. The Hall of Fame has no say or influence into who is voted in. The baseball writers choose the inductees.

Money has absolutely nothing to do with who makes the Hall of Fame. Otherwise, the Hall would make sure Pete Rose, Barry Bonds and popular stars like Don Mattingly and Dale Murphy were inducted, because they'd generate much more interest, publicity and money than guys like Bert Blyleven and Bruce Sutter.

Last edited:

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Santo's career was also cut short due to diabetes, [MENTION=4293]patrick182[/MENTION]. Politics kept Santo out of the HOF until after his death. The sports writers of his era who have voting rights didn't like him. He was brash & ****y and it rubbed some writers the wrong way. Politics, not numbers.

If you took every Cubs player out of the HOF, @SuperMario would be perfectly happy. It's no secret that he despises the Cubs for some reason. "Derp, I'm a Cardinals fan so, derp, I hate the Cubs with the fury of a thousand suns. Derp."

I'm a Cubs fan and I don't hate the Cardinals with a passion. I just love the game of baseball. If that makes me less of a Cubs fan to people, I couldn't care less.

This discussion is tiresome.

My original comment in this thread had a Cardinal Hall of Famer in it who I said didn't belong.

I also don't think Bruce Sutter belongs, another Cardinal.

I have zero team bias when it comes to the Hall of Fame.

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
One thing I was glad that the BBWAA did was to clean house this year and get rid of over 100 people who had voting powers but didn't cover baseball anymore but were still voting on the HOF.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
I am sure this will not go well over with some/most here but...

I absolutely love that the Hall of Fame is a great selection of baseball faces and names worth remembering for various reasons, and not a hall of stats. Guys like the wizard & the goose defined the sport just as much as Griffey Jr & Mantle to me.

I only live about an hour away from Cooperstown and have been there about 50 times. It is such a great time walking the halls not simply surrounded by statistics but by personalities that made the game great to watch also.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
I am sure this will not go well over with some/most here but...

I absolutely love that the Hall of Fame is a great selection of baseball faces and names worth remembering for various reasons, and not a hall of stats. Guys like the wizard & the goose defined the sport just as much as Griffey Jr & Mantle to me.

I only live about an hour away from Cooperstown and have been there about 50 times. It is such a great time walking the halls not simply surrounded by statistics but by personalities that made the game great to watch also.
Lucky!

Members online

Latest posts