Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How much should you have saved to purchase a '52 Mantle? Paging experts!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
It is totally nuts to think you need 3 G's to even play with PSA 1's :lol:

Just crazy. I'll have one someday. No rush on my part. Also don't need a PSA 8 or something.

By the way, does a PSA 9 or 10 exist?

---
Looking for Albert Belle cards! PM me!

mcgoo2

May 30, 2013
It is totally nuts to think you need 3 G's to even play with PSA 1's :lol:

Just crazy. I'll have one someday. No rush on my part. Also don't need a PSA 8 or something.

---
Looking for Albert Belle cards! PM me!

Here's an old article on higher grade Mantles. I just can't imagine spending a quarter of a million dollars on a baseball card.

More recently a PSA 9 sold for $282,000.

Last edited:

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Here's an old article on higher grade Mantles. I just can't imagine spending a quarter of a million dollars on a baseball card.

More recently a PSA 9 sold for $282,000.

Wow, that's nuts. There have been 3 PSA 10's and like half a dozen PSA 9's. Wow, you just wouldn't think. I guess I can believe the values considering a PSA 1 goes for $5k :lol:

The '52 Topps Mantle was double printed making it more common than others.

But weren't like a TON of '52 Topps cards dumped into the Pacific and people claim that is why it's a set that is not as "common"? Just curious, thought that was the reason. If not, I have NO idea why this is THE card to get... other than it being THE card back in the '80s or whatever.

KLARNOLD

Sep 17, 2008
Owensboro, KY
There were a bunch of the Print Run 6 High Number Series (#311-407) left over and it has been rumored that they were dumped in the Atlantic. I wonder if the ones that got into collectors' hands, if they were distributed in similar quantities as the other print runs.

But weren't like a TON of '52 Topps cards dumped into the Pacific and people claim that is why it's a set that is not as "common"? Just curious, thought that was the reason. If not, I have NO idea why this is THE card to get... other than it being THE card back in the '80s or whatever.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
You can sure tell this is a modern board!

mantle311_10xl.jpg

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
No wayyyyyyy.... that's nuts huh? Crazy something like that even exists... and word has it there are 3!

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I think it's safe to say the 1952 Mantle's popularity transcends the "rules" of cardboard. While with other players and other cards you can consider whether it is a rookie card (true rookie card etc.) this card is iconic. It has been "the card" for decades. In some ways I'd compare it to a famous piece of art (say the Mona Lisa) where its popularity is more than the sum of its brush strokes or the name of the artist (although that helps lol). Even if someone could paint a better version, or a more aesthetically pleasing painting, no one would ever consider that painting more valuable.

No Topps is not da Vinci and the historical/cultural element is a million times less than the Mona Lisa, but in its industry it may hold a similar place.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I think it's safe to say the 1952 Mantle's popularity transcends the "rules" of cardboard. While with other players and other cards you can consider whether it is a rookie card (true rookie card etc.) this card is iconic. It has been "the card" for decades. In some ways I'd compare it to a famous piece of art (say the Mona Lisa) where its popularity is more than the sum of its brush strokes or the name of the artist (although that helps lol). Even if someone could paint a better version, or a more aesthetically pleasing painting, no one would ever consider that painting more valuable.

No Topps is not da Vinci and the historical/cultural element is a million times less than the Mona Lisa, but in its industry it may hold a similar place.

I wouldn't even know what to do if I came across a raw '52 Mantle that looked like the PSA 10 :lol:

I mean it's a quarter million dollar card.... you can't just send that to PSA :lol: - I feel like you'd have to fly there and hand deliver it or something.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I wouldn't even know what to do if I came across a raw '52 Mantle that looked like the PSA 10 :lol:

I mean it's a quarter million dollar card.... you can't just send that to PSA :lol: - I feel like you'd have to fly there and hand deliver it or something.

Of course since it would most likely be a reprint... :)

Though while we are dreaming, why not a case of 1952 Topps. Dave and Adams has an empty box from a case n eBay and wants $50,000+ for it lol. Says you could expect 20+ Mantles (or something like that) in a single case. Paging [MENTION=1816]All In Cards[/MENTION], what would it cost for a group break of a case of 1952 Topps :)

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Of course since it would most likely be a reprint... :)

Though while we are dreaming, why not a case of 1952 Topps. Dave and Adams has an empty box from a case n eBay and wants $50,000+ for it lol. Says you could expect 20+ Mantles (or something like that) in a single case. Paging @All In Cards, what would it cost for a group break of a case of 1952 Topps :)

That auction just confuses the hell out of me. Why so much? It's just a box right but of the case the cards came in? I don't even want that stupid thing :lol:

GriffeyFan

Nov 28, 2011
That auction just confuses the hell out of me. Why so much? It's just a box right but of the case the cards came in? I don't even want that stupid thing :lol:

It is crazy!But there is a niche market for opened,empty boxes believe it or not.Older stuff can go for big bucks,empty packs also!

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Really? That's crazy... $50k though? How much do you seriously think they'll eventually get one day? Even half that much?

Enfuego79

Jan 21, 2013
Deltona, FL

I would take it a step further and physically WATCH them handle the card as they grade it.

Members online