Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What is it with the eBay tape?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I have been fortunate to have not lost more than 2-3 packages in the many years I have been buying online, but I am seeing this stupid tape more and more. Nothing screams out "steal me, I might be a valuable item" like "eBay" packing tape on a package!

Was going to add a shot of the offensive tape, but the system is not letting me upload any photos at the moment.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
I'm not sure what you mean by ebay packing tape but I'm frigging sick and tired of the increasing amount of sellers who are using massive amounts of tape on the top loaders these days. Even the ones who put the card in a team bag, between two pieces of taped cardboard feel it necessary to put scotch tape on the top loader. I just don't get it. The team bag prevents the card from accidentally sliding out so why use tape too? I get that I'm just paying for the card and I've got a bunch of new top loaders (which I bought due to this issue) but it's not only dangerous but could also damage the card, especially the sellers who use packing tape on the top loaders. It's become so hard just to get to what I actually purchased.

As a seller I have never ever used tape and I refuse to. A top loader in a team bag between two pieces of cardboard is just fine.

/end rant

Gjb70

Aug 1, 2015
I have been fortunate to have not lost more than 2-3 packages in the many years I have been buying online, but I am seeing this stupid tape more and more. Nothing screams out "steal me, I might be a valuable item" like "eBay" packing tape on a package!

Was going to add a shot of the offensive tape, but the system is not letting me upload any photos at the moment.

I thought the same thing. I just assumed they gave it away or sold it cheap as some part of a promotion. I'd never ship packages with it.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
It is white with the eBay logo all over it and about 2" wide. It looks like flimsy tape too, but it just advertises that this package likely contains something that you just spent money on from eBay. I suppose the eBay shipping labels do the same thing, but they are not like neon signs (which is what this tape is almost equivalent to).

I'm not sure what you mean by ebay packing tape but I'm frigging sick and tired of the increasing amount of sellers who are using massive amounts of tape on the top loaders these days. Even the ones who put the card in a team bag, between two pieces of taped cardboard feel it necessary to put scotch tape on the top loader. I just don't get it. The team bag prevents the card from accidentally sliding out so why use tape too? I get that I'm just paying for the card and I've got a bunch of new top loaders (which I bought due to this issue) but it's not only dangerous but could also damage the card, especially the sellers who use packing tape on the top loaders. It's become so hard just to get to what I actually purchased.

As a seller I have never ever used tape and I refuse to. A top loader in a team bag between two pieces of cardboard is just fine.

/end rant

Never seen it before and I hope the trend continues!

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
look to see more and more of it....last year ebay started giving store-owners an extra benefit....each quarter , store owners get a $25 gift certificate good for use in the ebay shipping supplies store....the options available are boxes , bubble mailers/envelopes , or tape.....personally i definitely spend my certificate each quarter (it does accrue ebay bucks) and try to rotate the three items each quarter .....

forgerelli

Apr 4, 2013
Not only will I never use ebay tape I specifically cut off the ebay/Paypal logo when printing my mailing labels. It really does scream out "steal me".

Also, I couldn't care less about saving a top loader. Tape the top shut. I've never had a card damaged when it's taped, but have had more than a few slip out when it's not.

Scott F

Rabs

Jan 25, 2011
Land O Lakes, FL
Not only will I never use ebay tape I specifically cut off the ebay/Paypal logo when printing my mailing labels. It really does scream out "steal me".

Also, I couldn't care less about saving a top loader. Tape the top shut. I've never had a card damaged when it's taped, but have had more than a few slip out when it's not.

Scott F

If you do tape a toploader don't use scotch tape. Not only does it ruin the top loader with a sticky residue afterwards but it is extremely difficult to remove. Blue painters tape or masking tape are much better options.

johnryno

Mar 23, 2017
Country Club of Maryland
eBay sent store subscribers a promotional coupon this quarter, valid only when used towards the purchase of eBay branded shipping supplies.

I opted for boxes, assuming their packing tape would be Busch Lite. Tape is quite expensive retail. Unless you're the hot **** and can buy supplies in bulk, it's a clunky overhead cost for those store owners, like myself, that be grindin.

Just another way for eBay to market their brand, really.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
I get why some people might think an ebay package contains
something that was paid for and worth stealing, but wouldn't
the same opinion be made of ANY package? Any package
being shipped to you probably contains something of value.
Otherwise,, why would someone be paying to ship it?

On the flipside, just as many cheap things are purchased on
ebay. Things never worth stealing.

Who are you worried about stealing your packages? Most
mailboxes these days have locks on them, leaving postal
employees as the only people who would have access. If
they really want to steal something, they are going to pay
attention to the return address and insured value.

Maybe your mailbox doesn't lock, and you're worried about
someone looking in and seeing ebay tape. If they are bold
enough to plunder through your ****, they are probably
going to steal anything that doesn't look like a bill. They
aren't going to spend 10 minutes at your mailbox assessing
each package.

Funny side note: The FedEx drivers who deliver to the
diamond district in Downtown LA are accompanied by 2
armed guards at all times. THOSE are packages worth
stealing!

I think my point is somewhere along the lines of - Don't
be pre-afraid or pre-angry about things being stolen. I
get being proactive, but why feel those negative feelings
unnecessarily? Cross that bridge when and if it happens.

forgerelli

Apr 4, 2013
If you do tape a toploader don't use scotch tape. Not only does it ruin the top loader with a sticky residue afterwards but it is extremely difficult to remove. Blue painters tape or masking tape are much better options.

I'm buying a card, not a top loader. I don't care if they use duct tape on it. I want the card protected above everything else.

New top loaders are cheap and I replace them 99.5% of the time.

Scott F

Joey_peapod

Jan 27, 2014
Penny sleeve, top loader, team bag, bubble mailer/box. Nothing. Else. Is. Needed. Ahhhhhhhhhhhbb

Lol even painters tape leaves a residue. I throw everything out anyway and only ship in all new stuff but I've had cards stuck to the tape or it's taped so much you need to use a razor. I'd prefer to unpeeled a team bag than almost slice up my cards. You can buy everything on eBay in bulk with free shipping and comes out to an extra .15 per card.

I have people that tape top loaders more than my lazy co workers

I couldn't imagine how long it would take me if I had to tape each top loader then tape on a label (I use a dymo which is literally the best thing ever)
/end rant

Last edited:

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
I'm buying a card, not a top loader. I don't care if they use duct tape on it. I want the card protected above everything else.

New top loaders are cheap and I replace them 99.5% of the time.

Scott F

I completely agree that the protection of the card is most important.

When people use packing tape opposed to skinny tape there is a chance (albeit small) you can ruin the surface of the cards when removing the card from the top loader, particularly the cards with a chrome surface. The packing tape can also be so difficult to remove that you must use something sharp to remove the card and you run the risk of possibly hitting the cards edges if the sharp instrument stabs down on accident. If you don't have team bags then one small piece of scotch tape does the job. You only need your finger nails to cut through it and it doesn't leave the strong sticky residue that could ruin the surface when removing the card. There is no need to use packing tape.

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
I get why some people might think an ebay package contains
something that was paid for and worth stealing, but wouldn't
the same opinion be made of ANY package? Any package
being shipped to you probably contains something of value.
Otherwise,, why would someone be paying to ship it?

On the flipside, just as many cheap things are purchased on
ebay. Things never worth stealing.

Who are you worried about stealing your packages? Most
mailboxes these days have locks on them, leaving postal
employees as the only people who would have access. If
they really want to steal something, they are going to pay
attention to the return address and insured value.

Maybe your mailbox doesn't lock, and you're worried about
someone looking in and seeing ebay tape. If they are bold
enough to plunder through your ****, they are probably
going to steal anything that doesn't look like a bill. They
aren't going to spend 10 minutes at your mailbox assessing
each package.

Funny side note: The FedEx drivers who deliver to the
diamond district in Downtown LA are accompanied by 2
armed guards at all times. THOSE are packages worth
stealing!

I think my point is somewhere along the lines of - Don't
be pre-afraid or pre-angry about things being stolen. I
get being proactive, but why feel those negative feelings
unnecessarily? Cross that bridge when and if it happens.

Glad I wasn't the only one with this opinion. I am a pretty large seller, about 10 to 15 packages per day, 1000's a packages a year. I use the ebay tape. I've never had an item stolen or lost since using the tape. A thief is a thief. They are going to take packages, ANY PACKAGES, if they are presented with the opportunity. It won't matter one bit that someone cuts off the paypal logo on the label or uses ebay tape. Imagine a thief going through packages at your door step. "Hey, this box doesn't have any ebay tape . . . . must be worthless, skip that one, steal all the others". I really think people think to deep on this issue or just don't sell enough items to really see how few packages are truly lost or stolen. Most packages arrive safe and sound, as long as the package was securely packaged. From my experience as a power seller, packages rarely get lost or stolen if seller is honest and the buyer is honest. I actually enjoy that every 3 months, ebay gives the ebay store sellers a few necessary supplies like the boxes & tape.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I suppose Amazon packages may pose a similar concern for some.

I have been buying on eBay for 19 years now and can vividly remember 2 packages not showing up, both to my work address oddly enough. There could have been a couple more at most for me out of 1000s and 1000s I have received. I do have a locked mailbox, by the way. I would pay for a PO Box if I still had one of the old school street side mailboxes with the red flag though. No way in 2017 am I leaving my mail out all day for anyone to grab! I am not saying that packages go missing all the time, but advertising what is inside isn't a good idea for general practice.

A lot of crime is opportunity. Maybe someone has limited space to sneak out a few mailers. Maybe they only have time enough to grab 1-2 and those that stand out catch their eye. Maybe they go for the "best shot" at value by looking at return addresses, tracking labels and other markers? Plenty of stuff being mailed all the time, some valuable, some not so much. It would be like a lottery to steal mail and hope for the big hit. I don't trust the general public as far as I can throw them. There are plenty of stand up folks, but the bad apples have soured me enough to take that extra step when it comes to security. I don't check in at places on Facebook or post photos of me 1000s of miles away from home while on vacation, I lock and safety bar my doors/windows even when we are home, I have tried to limit or eliminate talking about owning high valued items on public forums, I ship just about everything I buy now to work, I put things away rather than leave them out in plain sight and other measures that maybe are necessary, but certainly don't hurt to employ.

Liking it (the dreaded tape) or not is a personal choice. I don't like it and would prefer not to have my packages highlighted as purchases, but I am not stupid enough to think that it will stop because I make a comment on a discussion board.

cstmleather

Jan 14, 2009
Their quarterly supplies coupon is a huge money saver. Wouldn't use the tape, hardly ever have to tape any packages. Most of what I get are self sealing poly/bubble mailers.

When I ship cards I use a new penny sleeve, toploader and team bag. Then just wrap a slightly smaller strip of bubble wrap vertically and into a bubble mailer. Place the shipping label on the self sealing side so it covers the flap.