Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
Yes, and Basketball

And does that fact make anyone question that back-doored die-cut versions might currently be populating the market? I think there almost has to be some degree of concern for any rare 90s insert with no serial numbering.

For example, there are two Gwynns currently on ebay, one in ended listings (BGS graded) that didn't sell, and one that hit COMC today (for $225). That would be four of the (possibly) 37 which I'm assuming are based on prodution numbers. Certainly possible, but something to consider.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
And does that fact make anyone question that back-doored die-cut versions might currently be populating the market? I think there almost has to be some degree of concern for any rare 90s insert with no serial numbering.

For example, there are two Gwynns currently on ebay, one in ended listings (BGS graded) that didn't sell, and one that hit COMC today (for $225). That would be four of the (possibly) 37 which I'm assuming are based on prodution numbers. Certainly possible, but something to consider.

Un-cut cards slipped out the backdoor; I personally have neer heard of any Die-cut Embossed being acquired from anywhere but packs......obviously it could happen.

athletics07

Nov 10, 2013

Before I picked it up, the Gwynn on COMC was listed with a huge lot of Gwynn's from the same (big) seller - probably picked up someone's Gwynn collection they'd been sitting on for 15 years. It's probably a little paranoid to assume you can't trust any non-numbered inserts. I think with the market what it is and still how few we actually see after 15-16 years that the 37 print run seems pretty accurate.

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
jeterpsa100003.jpg

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
Before I picked it up, the Gwynn on COMC was listed with a huge lot of Gwynn's from the same (big) seller - probably picked up someone's Gwynn collection they'd been sitting on for 15 years. It's probably a little paranoid to assume you can't trust any non-numbered inserts. I think with the market what it is and still how few we actually see after 15-16 years that the 37 print run seems pretty accurate.

Just for the record, I said, "there almost has to be some degree of concern for any rare 90s insert with no serial numbering." Which is much different than saying I assume any non-numbered insert can't be trusted.

For example, the announced print run on these is 25 and I almost never see them, which is surprising because lots of Pinnacle stuff went out the back door. So there are different degrees of concern:

attachment.php

Nice pick-up on the Gwynn lot!

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
It's funny to think of some of the great '90s inserts who have stated print runs and you just never see them. I think part of it is because the mid-90s was basically 20 years ago! It's crazy to think but as time goes on, cards become further and further from market IMO. Just greater chance they're lost, destroyed, unknown, etc.

For example, I look down my Belle checklist which I have nearly 90% of all cards Beckett recognizes and there are still some cards I need which are serial numbered between 50 and 100... how about the 1997 Donruss Preferred Tin Boxes? Those are suppose to have a print run of 1,200 and I've NEVER seen one :lol:

athletics07

Nov 10, 2013
Just for the record, I said, "there almost has to be some degree of concern for any rare 90s insert with no serial numbering." Which is much different than saying I assume any non-numbered insert can't be trusted.

For example, the announced print run on these is 25 and I almost never see them, which is surprising because lots of Pinnacle stuff went out the back door. So there are different degrees of concern:

Nice pick-up on the Gwynn lot!

Sorry, I didn't mean exaggerate your concern. Re: Gwynn, I picked up the Gold Embossed Refractor but the lot of Gwynn's was listed by cardsrus on COMC.

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
This Gold Medallion Parallel insert took years to be added to my PC. I was puzzled as to why it took so long to find this card for a reasonable price:
pogoldmed.jpg

Members online