Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2015 hobby goals, what are yours?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
I dont think i had set goals for 2014, so i will for 2015

1. Clear the 4000 card mark for my Bagwell pc. it's getting harder to do with a limited budget, and i need to do a count and see exactly where my cards are at now.
i may have cleared 4000, but i still havent counted, so im not sure.
2. Keep up on my site by scanning and uploading cards as i get them, instead of letting them sit and then having a stack to go thru after a couple months, which makes it seem like work instead of fun
ehh... Ive been keeping up better than last year, but i just finished cropping about fifty scans. Now i need to name em and upload em. Cant quite get it all done at once.
3. Help Nick @BiggioBrooks755 with his goals.
been easy so far
4. Help Aaron with his Bagwell pc any way that i can since i cant possibly catch up with him!
i didnt bump up his bid after he bumped mine, if thats considered helping
5. Sell more on ebay to help pay for my collection
its how i pay for what i get on ebay, so i have sold more
6. Add at least 5 more PSA 10 cards to my collection from years 1991 or 1992
im pretty sure i finished this in spring.
Updated

TGutta

May 30, 2010
Minnetonka, Minnesota
1. Still be above 90% of all Denard Span non 1/1 cards by the end of the year
2. Acquire 3 Denard Span 1/1's not from 2015 products
3. Finish off my 2012 Topps Allen & Ginter Base Mini Set
4. Finish my Minnesota Twins 2011 Topps Hope Diamond Team Set
5. Spend as much money on opening packs as I did in 2014 (not very much)

1. Currently sitting just under 88%. To my surprise he showed up in '15 Topps Chrome for the first time since 2010, and will also be in '15 Bowman Chrome for the first time since 2010 which will bring my number lower again. Still a lot of easy hits on my wantlist so hopefully can still get to 90% by the end of the year.
2. Success! Picked up 6 so far, but missed out on 1 that I am really kicking myself over. Went for quite a bit more than I expected, so probably got beat out by a team collector.
3. Honestly don't think I've picked up more than 5, still need 33 more.
4. Still need 9 more. Don't think I've picked up any this year. There are a few up on eBay that I need, but I'm holding firm on the prices on want to pay to finish the set.
5. Success! Have rarely opened much of anything this year, not even base Topps which I usually buy a few blasters worth. Have spent a little more recently on Allen & Ginter since that is the girlfriend's favorite set, but other than that nothing more than a couple rack packs of a couple products.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
Thought I'd update since I've done a lot of work on one portion.

• Moved all the way to #27 on the 1953 Bowman Color Registry! From #4 4 , was hoping to move into top 30. Got really into it
• At #4 on the 1983 Donruss list and #3 is a ways off
• Instead of selling a lot of one prospect I've been accumulating a new one (doh!)
• Resisted the Bowman case urge so far
• And have been slow on the sales these last two months (switching jobs will do that)

Some stuff has definitely happened....

• Now at 18th on the 1953 Bowman Color registry! Almost #17 in fact. It's been a busy year for me
• Not much changed on the 1983 Donruss registry, although I've picked up a couple. Slow burn...
• GREG BIRD! My man has turned things around for my prospecting and I've only sold off a tiny bit, but with good profit. Sold some Judge at 100+% profit too
• Still no Bowman case purchases, did pick up some Stadium Club blaster cases (for fun, cheaper rip)
• Sales have been in waves, not a lot of time to do much other than the prospects sell off

It's been a good year so far though. Looking at starting to collect '48 Leaf, '48 Bowman, '49 Bowman, but not in a way detrimental to my (financial) health. Likely set a lower bar for those registries.

Last edited:

linuxabuser

Jan 16, 2011
Finish up my 2010 Ginter mini master set. These are the black minis I still need:

294 Buster Posey RC
305 Kelly Johnson
307 Akinori Iwamura
309 Casey McGehee
310 Placido Polanco
312 Carlos Ruiz
314 Ivan Rodriguez
319 Austin Jackson RC
323 Angel Pagan
324 Randy Winn
328 Jered Weaver
329 Troy Glaus
338 Francisco Liriano
340 Brad Lidge
342 Erik Bedard
343 Brad Penny
347 Orlando Cabrera
349 Yuniesky Betancourt

And finish up the EXT set. I have 11/51.

I'd like to knock out more of the bazookas and NNOs too. Still at <10% on those.

It's not much, but it's what seems feasible while I'll be spending next year knocking out all credit card debt.

Well, 3/4 of the way through the year. Black mini set done, EXTs are up to 14/51.

Not too much progress on CC debt.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
* finish my vintage Topps Dodgers run. The list is down to one card ('52 Topps Dick Williams). I think this will happen.
* make a decent dent on my new project, which is Red Man Dodgers. Right now I'm doing them "with tab", but if that looks too expensive I will drop that requirement. Or I might do them both. :D
* send in my T-206 Superbas set to be slabbed in SGC holders. I'm hopeful they'll run a $7 special at some point. I think they've done that before. That'll save me $81 in grading fees.
* sell off a decent chunk of my modern stuff, which is mostly made up of "retro" sets like Heritage, A&G and Turkey Red. I never look at them, so I might as well turn them into vintage cards that I will appreciate.
* finish my raw 1972 set (7 cards away)
* finish my raw 1970 set (6 cards away)

When the 1970 set is finished, I will be auctioning it off on eBay with 100% of the proceeds going to cancer research. A quick run-down for those that don't know the back story. Roughly 15 years ago a bunch of us in OBC used to gather on a nightly basis and chat on ICQ. I mentioned to the group that I thought the 1970 set was the ugliest of all time (still do). About a week later I got a box in the mail with about half of the set from a buddy of mine, David Kolenda. David got a good laugh out of it, and I cussed him a little (with a smile on my face as I did so). David was a great guy and a good friend. He lost his battle with cancer a little over 7 years ago. My intent since then has been to finish the starter set he sent me, and then auction it off in his name.

Here's where I'm at with my goals:
* Topps Dodgers run: finished
* huge dent made in the Red Man project at the Natty - picked up 18 new cards. As a result, I will be doing all sets with and without tabs.
* took my T206 and T205 Superbas to the Natty. Talked to a rep at the SGC booth and got a great price to send them in. Almost went ahead and did that, but...
* ... started a new project instead: T3 Turkey Red Brooklyn set
* sold off enough of my modern 'retro' stuff to pay for my trip to the Natty. Now that some of it's gone, it'll be easier for me to sell the rest.
* finished the '72 set at the Natty
* thought I finished the '70 set. Even talked to Brent at PWCC about using him to auction the set. Got home to put away the last five cards I thought I needed... only to discover that 8 cards I thought I had were not there. I'm further away from finishing than I thought. A real bummer.

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
^^ Nice progress on the Dodgers sets, one day I hope to get there.

My main goal was to chip away at my Yankees team sets which I did. I picked a bunch of SP, variations, and exclusive cards earlier this year online. I also picked up about 100 or so cards from the two shows I attended. Here is where I stand now...

New York Yankee Team Sets

1950s Topps 18 / 203 = 8.87 % -185
1960s Topps 92 / 370 = 24.86 % -278

1970s Topps 299 / 330 = 90.33 % -31
1980s Topps 425 / 426 = 99.77 % - 1
1990s Topps 330 / 334 = 98.80 % - 4
2000s Topps 477 / 489 = 97.54 % -12
2010s Topps 237 / 304 = 77.96 % -44

2001-2015 Topps Heritage 356 / 456 = 78.07 %
2001-2007 Bowman Heritage 91 / 150 = 60.07 %

1990-2015 Topps Pro Debut 43 / 88 = 48.86 %
Team Sets/Exclusives/Promos 248 / 517 = 47.96 %

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
in 2015 I'd also like to build my 206 and pre war type set collection. Sell off a good amount of modern patches too

Have made amazing gains on my 206 set including a cornerstone piece.

Pre war type set collection has morphed a bit to a very narrow focus but it's been coming along nicely.

Have not sold a single modern patch card

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
With a week left in the year I haven't seen a thread started yet. What are your 2015 hobby goals? Doesn't have to be card related.
I'll start:

1) get rid of all my unwanted dupes/trade cards. I don't have much anymore but I'd really like to clean it out. About 400 Ichiro cards and 150 or so griffeys i haven't listed plus others

2) seriously decide if I want to get out from under my griffey collection. Base/parallel/inserts/gu/and a couple other autos. About 1500 cards in all

3) continue with my PC's. Have my eyes set on a few high end pieces that I've determined are a must.

4) take the gamble on some older boxes or a newer case that may yield something for my pc. Something like National treasures

5)continue to contribute to this community and help as many collectors as I can.

**edit**
6) something not in my control at all but I'd love to add another 2 or 3 cards to my "impossible to complete auto set"

1: all are gone except a dupe pile of griffeys and the ichiros.

2: have 3 lists of low end and some mid level griffey inserts ready to list. A load of jersey/bat cards ready to move

3: I feel I've added 2 pieces this year I never thought Id get in the dimaggio and williams sweet spots. Anything beyond that is icing

4:never even looked at boxes

5: still have a pile to send

6:I added 2 this year, should have been 3 more but I won't cry about it here.

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
Continue to buy Andre Dawson cards

Goal accomplished.

Goal for 2016 is to buy less cards than I did this year, get everything organized, build custom shelving to hold all my boxes, buy more curio cabinets and fill them with my non card items, give away 99% of my non Andre Dawson cards.

David K.

Aug 26, 2008
Fresno, CA
Still missing about 23 of the 2003 timeless treasures gold card. Also only 5 short in the YSL set for the Bench. Best regards, David

With @ASTROBURN help as usual:

Get over 1400 Biggio cards (currently at 1297) with atleast 3 of my Most Wanted List-Currently at 1372 with 3 incoming and got atleast 3 MWL done with some incoming
Get over 275 Brooks cards (currently at 236) with atleast 3 of my Most Wanted List-Currently at 245 with 2 incoming

Hoping to get Paypal squared away tonight :)

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
My goal is to move the remaining inventory left over from the card shop I owned 12 years ago. It is going to be one of those "first 1.5K takes it" sale. I just dont have the time to go through a half million cards despite my best efforts.

My second goal is to be at 200+ cards on the 1955 Bowman set I have started this year. My goal for 2014 was to be at 100 cards with one key card purchased and I am well over 100 with the Mays card in my possession. I assumed it would take me three years to finish this set and I am on track to do so since there are only 320 cards in the set but the last 80 or so are a tough high number series.

goal #1 partially completed as I moved 200k cards a few months ago. The same guy wants to buy the remaining inventory which we will do in April

Goal #2 will see me fall just short of 200 cards in the set but I did pick up the big three of Mantle, Banks and Aaron this year so I am going to call the goal met. this set will be done in 2016.

gpenko826

Feb 15, 2011
goal #1 partially completed as I moved 200k cards a few months ago. The same guy wants to buy the remaining inventory which we will do in April

Goal #2 will see me fall just short of 200 cards in the set but I did pick up the big three of Mantle, Banks and Aaron this year so I am going to call the goal met. this set will be done in 2016.

Can you PM me? Id like to know what the remaining inventory is to take a shot at it...

shadowking86

May 13, 2014
I don't typically make collecting goals that I keep track of but I suppose I could throw a few out there:

1. Complete the 1998 Topps Tek run for Sandy Alomar Jr. I need 25 more. I just started it this year when I picked my collection back up.

2. Knock a bunch of cards off of my Top 10 Most Wanted list for both the Red Sox and Alomar.

3. Get to 1,000 different Sandy Alomar Jr. cards. I have 882 right now with 6 coming in.

4. Get to 500 different David Ortiz cards with the Red Sox. I have 487 right now. Should be easy.

Well let's see how I did:
1. I have 11 cards left. So I did well, just not well enough.

2. I knocked five cards off of my Top 10 for Sandy Alomar Jr. and four cards off of my Top 10 for the Red Sox. So I did quite well there.

3. I now have 1,049 Sandy Alomar Jr. cards.

4. I now have 522 David Ortiz cards with the Red Sox.

So, basically I made three out of the four goals and did reasonably well on the other. So, not too bad I would say.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
Hopefully I will just see more cards go out the door than come in. I would love to snag that Hensley Meulens autographed card BBM issued last year, but I don't see it happening for $100+. Even though it's his only pack-issued, certified auto, it's still Hensley Meulens and his autos routinely don't sell for $1 on eBay.

Well, that didn't happen. All year I only saw one copy and it is listed for over $200. Yes, $200+ for a Hensley Meulens autographed card. Nope.

TGutta

May 30, 2010
Minnetonka, Minnesota
1. Still be above 90% of all Denard Span non 1/1 cards by the end of the year
2. Acquire 3 Denard Span 1/1's not from 2015 products
3. Finish off my 2012 Topps Allen & Ginter Base Mini Set
4. Finish my Minnesota Twins 2011 Topps Hope Diamond Team Set
5. Spend as much money on opening packs as I did in 2014 (not very much)

1. 88.56% with none coming in, so I will fall just short of 90% on this one. If I wasn't so lazy and cheap I could probably be above the 90% mark since there are still easy 2015 cards that I just haven't picked up yet, so this will be an on-going goal with his new cards coming out every year.

2. Success! Picked up 7 throughout the season that were not from 2015 products, so I am very happy with that even if most were printing plates.

3. I only made 1 real purchase on this set during the year that brought my needs from 33 to 22, so fail with not completing it, but inching my way closer..

4. Still need 9 more. There have been 3 of my needs that either were listed, or are still listed on eBay but I'm just not wanting to pay $10 for the common guys. To be honest I am happy with all of the cards that I have from this set, so if I ever complete it, it will be a bonus.

5. Big time success, and the real reason I know that is just not making as many trades this year. Most people are only looking for current products, and I would venture to say I didn't spend more than $200 the entire year on opening packs. However, I still enjoy opening packs so my goal for this next year might actually be to spend more.

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
1) Continue to collect all Adam Dunn autograph cards I don't currently own which do not include any "game-used" material (currently at 143 different cards).
2) Spend less on Adam Dunn game used Reds bats (currently at 12).

I succeeded and failed on different points.
-I added 3 signed non-memorabilia cards
-I added a number of graded rookies (some which are fanfreakingtastic).
-I've almost doubled my Dunn game used bat collection (total of 23 bats).
-I've added 3 of the best Dunn game used helmets in existence: 2012 400th HR helmet, final 2014 White Sox helmet, one and only A's helmet.

Last edited:

Members online