Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Why is there no love for the Onyx Draft cards?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Of course it adresses ROI. People buy chrome and then people buy sterling/panini/leaf/eee and if you are buying at the right price point, you're making money. I'm not guessing, I actually know this works. Onyx is not at that level but it has nothing to do with investors not wanting choice.

i believe its people like you who would like choice limited.

every single investment is a risk.

But you still didn't address ROI.

Is ROI greater with one brand or fifty?

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
But you still didn't address ROI.

Is ROI greater with one brand or fifty?

I dont really know how i can explain it to you any better...

Player A has a chrome that sells for thirty and has a sterling, EEE and leaf that sell under 15. If the chrome goes to 100, the sterling/eee will normally get to around half of that while leaf will see a bump too because there are multiple levels of buyers. I would argue the ROI will stay about the same on all those products and even the low end products will see bumps...

Obviously, since you love the extreme scenario, yes, 50 products is not a good thing but VARIETY is and can be sustained.

BowmanChromeAddict

Aug 8, 2008
Downingtown, PA
Also I think people overestimate the amount of love leaf gets for baseball products here. When they do get recognition it's normally for ichiro or pujols.

Leaf actually returns a solid ROI, so that's why I like it. 2 cases of Leaf Ultimate and I'm already at breakeven after 24 cards. Will likely double, maybe triple my money on Ultimate. Metal and Valiant are still looking good as well. Not at breakeven yet, but just a matter of time.

I don't know much about Onyx, but if the price is right I guess it could have a solid ROI as well.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Leaf actually returns a solid ROI, so that's why I like it. 2 cases of Leaf Ultimate and I'm already at breakeven after 24 cards. Will likely double, maybe triple my money on Ultimate. Metal and Valiant are still looking good as well. Not at breakeven yet, but just a matter of time.

I don't know much about Onyx, but if the price is right I guess it could have a solid ROI as well.

I think most people would consider doubling your money a solid ROI...

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
It's a product with no league licensing and airbrushed photos. It is manufactured by a company with no brand name equity related to baseball cards and less brand equity overall than TriStar, whose card products had MiLB licensing and still failed to attract much interest.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
what amazing way for shifting your argument. Most "investors" love choice...

Actually, to simply respond to the single statement above, Tim, I absolutely hated 2004 as an "investor". Too much choice between Fleer HP, UD SP, EEE, and BC diluted the market. I'd rather have one product - BC.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Actually, to simply respond to the single statement above, Tim, I absolutely hated 2004 as an "investor". Too much choice between Fleer HP, UD SP, EEE, and BC diluted the market. I'd rather have one product - BC.

Of course we all have preferences but I love the variety and have done pretty well with it. If i target a player but think his chrome is too much, I go out and look for sterling/eee and if they continue to develop a name, I'd buy leaf at some point. they are strictly PC for me.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
I dont really know how i can explain it to you any better...

Player A has a chrome that sells for thirty and has a sterling, EEE and leaf that sell under 15. If the chrome goes to 100, the sterling/eee will normally get to around half of that while leaf will see a bump too because there are multiple levels of buyers. I would argue the ROI will stay about the same on all those products and even the low end products will see bumps...

Obviously, since you love the extreme scenario, yes, 50 products is not a good thing but VARIETY is and can be sustained.

You point out each product would normally have the same ROI as its competition every year but I'm not sure if this is true - if it is its probably artificially made that way. Sure a certain level of variety can and does exist (not saying variety can be sustained however) but variety negatively affects ROI.

Choice reduces cost, this is one reason why people dislike monopolies. Without EEE/Sterling/Leaf/Onyx/whatever Chrome doesn't go down, it goes up.

Last edited:

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
"Money" can be "made" on any prospect "rookie card"

look at all the money that was made on Michael Stanton's 2008 EEE that were readily available for less then a buck 4 years ago

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
"Money" can be "made" on any prospect "rookie card"

look at all the money that was made on Michael Stanton's 2008 EEE that were readily available for less then a buck 4 years ago

Frankly money can be made on just about any card, its just all about knowing when to buy and when to sell :)

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Didn't Onyx originally get exclusives to some guys? I thought Pineda and Teheran were Onyx guys, but then their cards came out in everything. That's the last I heard about Onyx...

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
AFAIK, there are no Phillies in their prospect products, otherwise I'd buy them. Interesting cards; I hope they keep doing business.

Are Tristar and Just dead, cardwise? From Just's website, it looks like the only cards they're selling from the past 3 years are, oddly enough, Leaf.

Last edited:

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
Onyx is a copy cat of Tristar - a memorabilia company that tried to put out a set of cards focusing on prospects.

As a casual collector I see Onyx as nothing more than Just Minors cards on PEDs - per box prices are way too much, especially when there maybe simply better buys as far as current BB products go.

I'd snap up a couple of boxes of Onyx if had been configured to have more cards and not try to aim for a relatively high end price point for something not licensed.

deaconblues63

Oct 25, 2012
I have never heard of these cards, and without a logo, I will not buy them. Wicked cool looking card, butwith no logo its useless to me

In homor of Thanksgiving, here is todays card:

1992 Mr. Turkey Superstars:

1992MrTurkeySuperStar4.jpg

This card would appear to have no logo.

Zambrano38

Aug 11, 2008
I'm ok with unlicensed cards, and they often look nice and offer a cheaper alternative for PC cards.

Members online

Latest posts