Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Is Bryce Harper overrated and just a semi-star and NOT a mega-star as we thought?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JEBJJA

Aug 11, 2008
South Jersey- Near Philly
First of all I like the kid, he's been a role model so this isn't being negative. Is Bryce Harper overrated and just a semi-star and NOT a mega-star as we thought? His stats are way below expectations. His desire is there. His hustle is there. But did fatigue set in from all these different derby's, contests, year round baseball he did from the time he was a little kid? What about the pressure of being that #1 prospect label since he was 16? I haven't been impressed so far over the course of his career like I have been with Trout. What do you guys think? Overhyped? Fatigued? Overmatched?

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I would think the two things against him now are "young and stupid" and injured. If he can stay healthy and mature a few years, I think he can be a top-tier ballplayer in the game.

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
He's 20....c'mon.

My thoughts exactly.

Regardless, I do believe he was over-hyped at the very least. Overrated? Probably some there as well too. If he stays healthy, I believe he will have a very bright future and be a superstar for years to come.

I like the kid and I hope he has a very successful MLB career. The hype was way too much though. On this board, a lot of that was to try and help people sell their stuff at even more of a premium. In general, media outlets are always on the search for the next big thing they can force down our throats.

Had Bryce been given the luxury that most people get of being drafted, working his way up, and being "just" a player on a big league team, I don't think anyone would have any complaints. When he was in high school and being touted as the next Mantle, next Griffey, and even the next better than Mantle and Griffey, that was just too much hype for anyone to realistically attain.

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
Looks like he kills himself to prove that he can be a dominant jack hole on a baseball field - the key is staying healthy - it seems like Trout does things effortlessly and clean while Harper is a brute force.

Everything little thing Harper does is overrated, but he is 20 and people are enamored by youth and potential.

However, the Mormon he is, Harper would probably say some unsavory things if you said that playing too much baseball is going to turn him into some mediocre disappointment rather the superstar he can be.

bmc398

May 25, 2009
The kid has the personality and following to be a mega star even without the Mega Star stats. I think he has all the potential in the world, but at 20 he's still got plenty to learn about the pro game.

I think the biggest adjustment from high school - college - MiLB - MLB is the length of the season. You go from playing 30-40 games a season to 50-60 to 90-120 games very quickly. And then you make the final jump and now are expected to be on all day, every day for basically 32 straight weeks playing almost every day....thats a huge adjustment for anybody to make.

WoundedDuck

Aug 23, 2008
However, the Mormon he is, Harper would probably say some unsavory things if you said that playing too much baseball is going to turn him into some mediocre disappointment rather the superstar he can be.

I'm confused as to what being Mormon has to do with this.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
I typically reserve "mega star" for players who have actually accomplished some impressive long-term stats. Guys like Trout and Harper flame out all the time, never having reached superstar status. Book is out on superstar status until after 4 seasons in baseball, in my opinion.

stricklcp

Jun 15, 2013
ATL
Like a few earlier posts, I agree, that it's waaaaaayyyyyy too early to tell. I think he's still getting adjusted and fatigue has nothing to do with at as athletes at this level "should" be conditioned to weather a long season. Only time will tell if he's as legit as the media reports him to be! And since I hold a few of his SP cards......I wish him well!!! ;)

Members online

Latest posts