Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jonebone

Jan 3, 2011
MD
After being away from the hobby for a while (I haven’t purchased a pack of cards since 2009, when Upper Deck was blacklisted by MLB), my collecting interest has gotten a new spark. I spent a fair amount of time, effort, and money working on getting every card signed from the 2002, 2006, & 2008 Upper Deck sets, but took a break from those projects a couple years ago. Since 2009, I’ve spent absolutely zero time looking at any cards produced since then. After surveying the current collecting landscape, I’ve come to the conclusion that there really isn’t anything in recent production I want to collect. What the heck is up with all these cards containing no logos and all these photos with the tops of players heads cut off? Back in 2009, when I heard that Upper Deck was being kicked out of the game and that Topps would become the main player, I remember thinking that all the innovation of the 90’s and 2000’s would come to a screeching halt. Topps certainly hasn’t disappointed in this regard. It appears that they are content in churning out the same old tired junk.

So what to collect? I’ve recently pulled some of my cards out of the closet and have gone back to work on those sets I hadn’t completed previously. Today the final card from the 1993 Score Select Stars arrived (Darren Daulton). These cards were so cool when they came out.

Nice! I've probably busted more 1993 Score Select product than anything else in my life. As a kid in the 90s, I put together all 3 of the inserts sets with packs and card shows... this Green stars set, the Red Rookies set and the Silver Aces set. Unfortunately, the Rookies were the toughest pulls and prices were absurd on them. I can't even begin to stomach what we paid at the time... probably $25-$50 each card and Tim Salmon was probably close to $100. But hey you live and learn.

Still have all three of those sets to this day, and I always loved those Dufex fronts. They were some of the original Dufex inserts if I recall, as Pinnacle Museum Collections / Starburst didn't show up until 1994.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
Nice! I've probably busted more 1993 Score Select product than anything else in my life. As a kid in the 90s, I put together all 3 of the inserts sets with packs and card shows... this Green stars set, the Red Rookies set and the Silver Aces set. Unfortunately, the Rookies were the toughest pulls and prices were absurd on them. I can't even begin to stomach what we paid at the time... probably $25-$50 each card and Tim Salmon was probably close to $100. But hey you live and learn.

Still have all three of those sets to this day, and I always loved those Dufex fronts. They were some of the original Dufex inserts if I recall, as Pinnacle Museum Collections / Starburst didn't show up until 1994.

duflex.jpg

Blank Back Ripken Promo, belongs to a member here
duflexpromo.jpg

Last edited:

Joey_peapod

Jan 27, 2014
The Chase Stars where the coolest set ever when I was a kid. I remember trading for the 95 Museuem Griffey which was like $50 at the time and ended up losing it! I didn't actually hit mNy dufex cards in packs. I hit a Maddux White Hot and a Matt Williams 95 Team Pinnacle.

jonebone

Jan 3, 2011
MD
Nice, the White Hots and En Fuegos were beautiful cards. I've always thought the White Hots were undervalued... they were a legitimately hard insert before the serial numbered craze sat in. I don't remember the pack odds but it seemed like you'd be lucky to get one white hot with every dozen or so red hots you'd come across.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
Nice, the White Hots and En Fuegos were beautiful cards. I've always thought the White Hots were undervalued... they were a legitimately hard insert before the serial numbered craze sat in. I don't remember the pack odds but it seemed like you'd be lucky to get one white hot with every dozen or so red hots you'd come across.
En Fuego - 1:48
Red Hot 1:8
White Hot N/A

AUTaxMan

Nov 25, 2009
Mobile, AL
i-m6495dx-X2.jpg

dmb71vw

Feb 16, 2010
Pennsylvania
I love this thread. Makes me sad though that I won't be able to afford any of these rare Frank Thomas cards for my collection.

I do have a question though, does anyone know if this card even exists? It is one of the last cards I need for my Stan Belinda collection. I know if it was never redeemed then it won't exist so i was just wondering if anyone has seen it.

1998 Pacific Online Winners #185 Stan Belinda

I am also looking for this card.

2012 Leaf Memories 90 Leaf Buyback Red #486 Stan Belinda

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
I do have a question though, does anyone know if this card even exists? It is one of the last cards I need for my Stan Belinda collection. I know if it was never redeemed then it won't exist so i was just wondering if anyone has seen it.

1998 Pacific Online Winners #185 Stan Belinda

You can likely delete this from your want list. Somewhere buried in this or one of the other 90s thread was a discussion about the lack of these cards on the market.

Members online

Latest posts