Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1993 Triple Play Previews

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thelesquad

Dec 6, 2008
I believe gracecollector had posted about this, but I can't find the thread. Besides the fuzziness and thickness of the Triple Play words on the back, what other differences are there between the regular and preview?

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
I know most people assume these would say "Preview" on them since other Donruss products of the era did - as did 1994 previews. And the SCD catalog even claims the 1993 do, but it's not the case. The previews for 1993 Triple Play were issued in an 8-card see-thru cellophane wrap and look so alike the normal cards as to be virtually impossible to tell. I have the Grace little hotshots and the Griffey that I know came out of a wrapped preview pack, and these are the only differences:

Ghosted Triple Play logo on back is fuzzy, whereas on the regular card is sharp with thin lines.
Line thickness of the red border may be a little different.

I'll have to post up high res scans later. But definitely this is an issue that drove me crazy trying to figure it out, and I don't think the info is right in Beckett and SCD.

thelesquad

Dec 6, 2008
Thanks, Brad. Someone may have the Sandberg preview. I've asked for high-res scans, so hopefully I'll be able to see the differences.

thelesquad

Dec 6, 2008
Okay, here are the copies I have.

The one on the left is my original. The one on the right is the supposed preview.
triple_play_front.png

triple_play_back.png

Here is a close-up of the logo on the back. Top is original; bottom is "preview."
triple_play_words.png

What are your expert opinions?

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
Can someone re-post these photos and/or links to descriptions of these?

I sent a Griffey to PSA that came out of the preview pack, and they are claiming it doesn't have the "characteristics" of a preview. When I asked them what the characteristics were, they couldn't tell me.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
griffeytripleplay.jpg

The 93 Triple Plays are really tough to identify. Virtually identical to the issued cards, but the Triple Play logos are "ghosty" on back, while the regular cards have sharp definition. Also from the two I have, the red color outlines and name are darker on the regular version, and the number behind the player name is darker gray. I spent a long time looking for a Grace. The buyer I got it from had an unopened clear cello-wrapped pack of promos, so I know these were the promos even though there's no clear identification.

92 Triple Play previews are clearly marked "Preview" on back, and people assume the 93's are too, but they are not.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Last edited:

deadman31

Sep 15, 2010
So can someone tell me if this is the promo or regular. I can't tell.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    332.6 KB · Views: 48

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
No Canseco. Only 12 cards available as 1993 Triple Play Previews.

Found the original thread:

http://www.freedomcardboard.com/for...amp-SCD-wrong-about-1993-Triple-Play-Previews

and a picture of my Grace "Little Hotshots" Preview (top) and Regular (bottom). Again, the most identifiable difference is the "ghosty" Triple Play logo.

tripleplay.jpg

Thanks for the response guys. Can anyone tell me if a "legitimate source" has ever posted the differences? PSA won't slab it as a preview unless they basically read it in beckett or sports illustrated, even though I saw it come out of a cellophane pack.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Thanks for this info guys. Certainly explains why these things are not easy to find or even identify. Good to know exactly what to look for. If anyone has an Alomar promo they can part with, let me know...

Jack Straw

May 10, 2009
@ a Baseball Card Show
I believe there is something on the front too. Something with the block lettering on top? Maybe the shadowing?

griffeytripleplay.jpg

The 93 Triple Plays are really tough to identify. Virtually identical to the issued cards, but the Triple Play logos are "ghosty" on back, while the regular cards have sharp definition. Also from the two I have, the red color outlines and name are darker on the regular version, and the number behind the player name is darker gray. I spent a long time looking for a Grace. The buyer I got it from had an unopened clear cello-wrapped pack of promos, so I know these were the promos even though there's no clear identification.

92 Triple Play previews are clearly marked "Preview" on back, and people assume the 93's are too, but they are not.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
I pulled my Grace's last night and looked at them closely. Couldn't find any new discoveries, except for this. If you hold the promo version in your hand and tilt it back and forth, the ghosted "Triple Play" logo will disappear at certain angles. If you do the same with the regular card, the "Triple Play" logo never disappears. It's possibly a different type of ink. The "Triple Play" logo on the promo is definitely puffier, less sharp than the regular version. Meant to bring them into work today and scan them ultra hi-res, but forgot them at home. Will try tomorrow.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
I believe there is something on the front too. Something with the block lettering on top? Maybe the shadowing?

The black drop shadow behind the name on front is thinner on the previews. Here's scans of the Ripken card that shows it (tunahead's card). The Triple Play logo is fuzzy as it should be too.

Regular on top, Preview on bottom

tp1.jpg

Preview on left, Regular on right

tp2.jpg

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
So, playing detective with hi-res scans:

Triple Play logos on back - Top is Preview, Bottom is Regular Issue. The logo on the preview card is blurry and several pixels thick. When the card is tilted, the logo can seem to disappear at certain angles. The logo on the regular card has very sharp definition and can be seen however the card is tilted.

tripleplay_logo_preview.jpg

tripleplay_logo_base.jpg

Regarding the border thickness of inset player photo on card back:

I scanned these both at 2400 dpi, then overlaid them. It does not appear that there is a difference in photo border thickness. It does appear that the promo version's shade of red is just a shade lighter on the promo version than the regular issue.

tripleplay_borders.jpg

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
My scanner won't even pick up the preview/promo "Triple Play" Logo.

There are 0 Preview cards on PSA's pop report. PSA refuses to grade any of the Preview cards.

Preview.jpg