Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Collector's Corner Showcase, Volume 12: U L Washington Rookie

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
This week's Collector's Corner is about Pete, aka [MENTION=8688]U L Washington Rookie[/MENTION]. He has a brother on this forum too ! I wanna thank Pete for taking the time to answer these questions !

I’m Pete, mid 30s. Aside from baseball cards, I randomly pick up and use old safety razors as a sort of ‘collection’.
3aeb2159-1d80-49ce-b33f-76c0ab2a6fc5_zps714d8aa2.jpg

d13cbf0b-306b-4dff-b47e-0f77b7d9c7f3_zpsff699041.jpg

I enjoy playing sports – basketball, football, softball, etc – much more than collecting cards.

1) When did you start collecting _______ and why do you collect ______ ?
I started collecting Greg Maddux cards in the early-to-mid 90’s because he anchored my very first fantasy baseball team; for Mo Vaughn, I don’t know how that happened. I collect a few Tigers players – mostly Lou Whitaker, Alan Trammell and Cecil Fielder – because that’s my favorite team. And I collect a few sets, say Stars N Steel and 1995 Finest, because I just like the cards.

2) What was the turning point in your collecting ____ ? What put you over the edge and made you completely focus on ______ ?
In the last couple years I’ve really narrowed my focus to a small number of players and sets. There are just so many cool cards out there that I’d go broke if I didn’t focus. Narrowing focus also makes it more enjoyable when I run across a ‘most wanted’ card, as otherwise I’d have no trouble finding great cards to add to my collection.

3) What has been the high point in collecting ______ ? The low point ?
My high point has probably been participating in the Morning Thread Secret Santa: learning about a whole lot of cards I’d never focus on otherwise while researching what items to send; the appreciation my victim showed; the sweet, sweet mail day bestowed upon me; the epic show-your-gifts thread; everything about it was great.

No low points stick out. I guess looking at completed auctions an occasionally seeing great opportunities I missed can be disappointing.

4) What deal did you have slip through the cracks, that you regret ? Why didn't it work out ?
I’m not sure I ever had any deal fall through that hurt. But I did once trade away a Mantle refractor from 1996 Topps I was lucky enough to pull for a Maddux insert of the same year that now turns out to be terribly lop-sided in the Mantle’s favor – that would have been a really cool card to have kept, regardless of value.

5) What's your favorite piece / card in your collection ? Why ?
That’s a tough question to answer. There are so many great cards I’m lucky enough to own. I’ll say that two 1997 Finest Gold Embossed Refractors – Cecil Fielder and Mo Vaughn – would be right up there. That’s easily my favorite insert set from the 90’s. Both I picked up via the thoughtfulness of [MENTION=2418]George_Calfas[/MENTION]. Also a 1999 Tek Gold Maddux that came out of what I think was the first Morning Thread box break on FCB I participated in.

23143d60-4d5f-4518-959f-dff1038c5baa_zps65ce9a54.jpg

3c3ebeea-3cf3-4521-b7a7-e2b96ee83d51_zpsffd9fb2a.jpg

7687605d-4344-40f1-8bdb-9e98a16e3071_zps5fdb8293.jpg

6) What's your wife / significant other / family think of your obsession (or collecting) for ______ ?
My wife would be happy if I got rid of all my cards immediately. She knows that’s not happening, so she puts up with my hobby.

7) What's your white whale or just a card you can't seemingly track down or acquire ?

My most wanted card is the 1997 Finest Gold Embossed Refractor Maddux. That’s one pricey card! I’ll eventually pony up the cash for one, assuming I can track it down. But for now, there are so many other options that I’m happy enough picking up.

8) Have you met the player you collect and what was the experience like ? (For set collectors, it'd be asking about meeting other set collector's of said set and having discussions with them).

I’ve never knowingly met any of the collectors who compete with me on various sets or guys I collect. Either could probably be a pretty odd experience.

9) What is your biggest pet peeve about collecting ______ ?

Crooks.

10) How have forums / eBay / COMC helped your collecting of _____ ? How have they hurt ?

FCB has helped in tons of ways. The wealth of information and goodwill collectors share on the site is incredible. Participating on FCB also helps keep my interest in the hobby up. Card-selling sites open up the whole world for tracking down cards that I’d have little opportunity to see otherwise – it’s not like the shows in my area (even when the National was in Chicago) bring out too many of the valuable cards in the era I collect, let alone the low-dollar cards that aren’t worth taking to a show.

I don’t see negatives to those sites, other than making it so easy to spend my money.

11) How much competition do you face in your collecting of _____ ? How often do you check forums / auction sites for your player ?

I think much of what I collect brings only small amount off competition – other than Maddux and some 90’s insert sets. Now that Maddux is going into the HoF, competition for his cards has increased.

I check ebay about once a day and comc once a week or so. I’ve had some very good luck on Sportlots recently, too.

12) Any thoughts of ever giving up the collection ?

Nope.

13) How has the generosity of FCB'ers or other forum / site members helped your collection ? Elaborate.

I’m not all that good of a gift receiver, and the good folks here have helped me improve with that; [MENTION=4937]alexs64[/MENTION] being the first, I believe. I’ve also been able to make some good deals for my PC through FCB that I doubt I could find elsewhere – and I hope the people I dealt with feel the same.

And then just a general wrap up, like an acceptance speech.
The only sports card forum I’m a member of is FCB. I’ve found this community to be filled with mostly good people who really care about this hobby. All the knowledge and advice shared here is a huge asset to card collecting. I know I’m now the only one who appreciates this group.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Very nice Pete! Side story, I once remodeled an old bathroom and behind the early mirrored medicine cabinet inside the wall was a stash of about 50 year worth of used razor blades. There was a small slit on the inside of the cabinet and apparently that's how they used to dispose of them "safely"; just drop them in between the walls

U L Washington Rookie

Dec 7, 2012
D Town
Very nice Pete! Side story, I once remodeled an old bathroom and behind the early mirrored medicine cabinet inside the wall was a stash of about 50 year worth of used razor blades. There was a small slit on the inside of the cabinet and apparently that's how they used to dispose of them "safely"; just drop them in between the walls

Yeah, not quite as cool as finding a case of '89 Upper Deck behind a wall...

I've heard that to have been a very common practice. One that's probably still done to some degree since it can be a bit of a pain to dispose of used blades properly.

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
Good stuff! I enjoy seeing your cards in the MT also. That razor blades behind the wall thing happened in the house I grew up in as well.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
What is the UL Washington connection for those who don't know or is there one at all?

U L Washington Rookie

Dec 7, 2012
D Town
What is the UL Washington connection for those who don't know or is there one at all?

Being a Tigers fan, my brothers would tease me about the Trammell/Molitor/Klutts/Washington rookie card being the UL Washington rookie card above all else. I didn't think that was so funny back then, but laugh about it now.

AmishDave

Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
What is the oldest razor you have, Pete ? Do you dabble with any of the old barber stuff (like Alfalfa in the Barber of Seville skits) ?

U L Washington Rookie

Dec 7, 2012
D Town
What is the oldest razor you have, Pete ? Do you dabble with any of the old barber stuff (like Alfalfa in the Barber of Seville skits) ?

The oldest razor I own is a 3-piece Gillette Old Type from the 1920s. It's a double-edge razor. I don't use it much, as it's showing its age and I'd rather not kill it too soon. The oldest single edge I own is a GEM from the 1930s/1940s, it's the first one pictured above. I get fairly frequent use out of it - I've been planning to pop a new blade in it to use next week.

I barely get the Alfalfa reference, but I'm guessing you're asking about accessories, soaps, etc. I use a brush, scuttle, and creams/soaps for lathering up. There are tons of good creams/soaps out there to try. Same goes for aftershaves, which tend to elicit barbershop memories (say, Pinaud Clubman or Floid Blue which have been around seemingly forever).

AmishDave

Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
The oldest razor I own is a 3-piece Gillette Old Type from the 1920s. It's a double-edge razor. I don't use it much, as it's showing its age and I'd rather not kill it too soon. The oldest single edge I own is a GEM from the 1930s/1940s, it's the first one pictured above. I get fairly frequent use out of it - I've been planning to pop a new blade in it to use next week.

I barely get the Alfalfa reference, but I'm guessing you're asking about accessories, soaps, etc. I use a brush, scuttle, and creams/soaps for lathering up. There are tons of good creams/soaps out there to try. Same goes for aftershaves, which tend to elicit barbershop memories (say, Pinaud Clubman or Floid Blue which have been around seemingly forever).

He uses that leather thing to sharpen the straight edge. Wondering if you've ever went to a barber shop and had that style of shave (I did once in the Philippines, nearly cried because I've watched FAR too many horror slasher movies, lol).

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
Another great write up Dave!

Pete - Those razors are pretty cool, especially to be using them. It's refreshing to see you post a different card every day of the week as well :)

U L Washington Rookie

Dec 7, 2012
D Town
He uses that leather thing to sharpen the straight edge. Wondering if you've ever went to a barber shop and had that style of shave (I did once in the Philippines, nearly cried because I've watched FAR too many horror slasher movies, lol).

Ah, ok. That leather thing is called a strop. I'll get a straight and a strop & hone someday...

I've been waiting for the right time/occasion for a shave from my barber. I'm not sure I'd trust many 'barbers' these days, but the guy I go to is an old-timer and it's obvious that he knows his stuff.

Note that in many (most?) states, including IL I believe, it's actually illegal - due to hygiene concerns - for barbers to shave w/ straights. This applies to warm lather neck/around-the-ears shaves, too. Most times shavettes (looks like a straight, but with disposable blades) are used in that case, so no strop required.

Another great write up Dave!

Pete - Those razors are pretty cool, especially to be using them. It's refreshing to see you post a different card every day of the week as well :)

Thanks!

UL Washington made that card what it is today

Exactly!

AmishDave

Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Ah, ok. That leather thing is called a strop. I'll get a straight and a strop & hone someday...

I've been waiting for the right time/occasion for a shave from my barber. I'm not sure I'd trust many 'barbers' these days, but the guy I go to is an old-timer and it's obvious that he knows his stuff.

Note that in many (most?) states, including IL I believe, it's actually illegal - due to hygiene concerns - for barbers to shave w/ straights. This applies to warm lather neck/around-the-ears shaves, too. Most times shavettes (looks like a straight, but with disposable blades) are used in that case, so no strop required.

I had the warm cloth straight edge shave. Nerve ... racking. Wish my wife would've taken pics, but she was WAY too busy watching a soap opera / drama on t.v. ...

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
Nice Write Up. My fav part of Pete on FCB is his Daily card in the MT. And for a while there, I usually had a Bagwell to match! Made for a fun daily challenge. :)

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Nice Write Up. My fav part of Pete on FCB is his Daily card in the MT. And for a while there, I usually had a Bagwell to match! Made for a fun daily challenge. :)
+1! I love his Daily Cards...Even though I'm not allowed in the MT, but sometimes I peek in when the door is left open...

Members online