Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

So Topps finally killed it for me

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nappyd

Sep 24, 2012
That's so weird they would do that though. Just a stamp with no info indicating what it is it supposed to be with it? I mean other than a letter from topps along with the mail

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
This is exactly the reason I stopped buying any and all Topps products a couple months back, and have committed to boycotting them indefinitely. I simply refuse to see Topps ruin the hobby with things like this and will not buy a single Topps brand card, new or otherwise, perhaps ever again. Sure my few thousand dollars yearly means nothing to them, but it's my small line in the stand. I for one can say I am not putting up with it.

Sorry to see you got hammered like that.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Is there anyone left at Topps that "cares" about the hobby? Or at least has any pride left in what used to make the name Topps great? How can they feel good about the brand with the way they've made a mockery of it?

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Is there anyone left at Topps that "cares" about the hobby? Or at least has any pride left in what used to make the name Topps great? How can they feel good about the brand with the way they've made a mockery of it?

Like any business focused on making money, I don't believe they care as long as the product sells.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Like any business focused on making money, I don't believe they care as long as the product sells.

That's not entirely true given the context...

Without any real 'level playing field' competition, they can offer less and less in the way of customer satisfaction without recourse. Most businesses have level competition so they need to care about the customer, if they are focused on making money. Topps does not care because they do not have to, people will buy their product regardless because for many it is the only game in town. So, yes they are focused on making money, but no not like any other business.

pac_rat_76

Aug 10, 2008
Minnesota
That is brutal! You mentioned that you were willing to take the gamble and ok with what you paid for it but that still does not change the fact that Topps screwed the pooch on this one.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
That's not entirely true given the context...

Without any real 'level playing field' competition, they can offer less and less in the way of customer satisfaction without recourse. Most businesses have level competition so they need to care about the customer, if they are focused on making money. Topps does not care because they do not have to, people will buy their product regardless because for many it is the only game in town. So, yes they are focused on making money, but no not like any other business.

Off topic bound here but...I'd say that all businesses, in a way, conspire collectively without actually doing so consciously, to provide the least amount of cost and effort to their overall product as necessary. I.E., they only do the bare minimum they have to. Crappy products and similar customer service aren't looked down upon as long as the product continues to sell. The funny thing is a business will often look to the competition as a baseline as to what they can get away with and go from there. And they assume that they will naturally recycle customers between themselves and the competition because when one person stops buying their product, another one fills the void.

This is particularly prevalent in industries where the product or service is specific and where prices and service are similar. There is no reason to go above and beyond because in a way, you have the customer cornered.

katieneack

Apr 7, 2012
Northern Kentucky
This is ridiculous but I am not surprised. I have been gone from the hobby completely for a few months now, solely because I was so angry with Topps. They basically screwed me out of over $1,000 worth of redemptions and couldn't even bother to respond to my phone calls or emails. I was so mad that I just left the hobby completely. I'm coming back now, but I will never spend another dollar on any new Topps cards. Anything after 2012 will only be Panini or Leaf products for me from now on.

mmier118

Jan 29, 2010
Sorry to hear about this, Honestly I was considering a box of Topps chrome and Bowman chrome but after hearing this I think I'll pass. I'll just pick up the singles I want for less then the price of a box of each. Not as much fun but why chance it with any of their products or redemptions.

goldenegg1

Aug 7, 2008
I will open Topps products, but I will sell and never redeem another card from them. I just laugh when people are pulling these huge hits from tier one and they think they will actually get what is on the redemption card.

PoseyBuster

Banned
Jul 17, 2013
I will open Topps products, but I will sell and never redeem another card from them. I just laugh when people are pulling these huge hits from tier one and they think they will actually get what is on the redemption card.

Just be glad you werent one of the people who paid $800+ for the Mystery Rookie REDEMPTION Auto of Puig

PoseyBuster

Banned
Jul 17, 2013
This is ridiculous but I am not surprised. I have been gone from the hobby completely for a few months now, solely because I was so angry with Topps. They basically screwed me out of over $1,000 worth of redemptions and couldn't even bother to respond to my phone calls or emails. I was so mad that I just left the hobby completely. I'm coming back now, but I will never spend another dollar on any new Topps cards. Anything after 2012 will only be Panini or Leaf products for me from now on.

That sucks!!! Don't refuse to spend money on Topps cards, just buy their singles you want on the secondary market.

Members online

Latest posts