Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
001_zpslinn6bvk.jpg

002_zpskfu2bvds.jpg
Bernie's teammate Uni #d 46/
Pettitte1998MetalUniversePMG192.jpg

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
Thanks. I was happy with it. Do you know anything about them? Looks like five of the ten cards in the set were sold, so I am assuming they all were made and likely rare like most promos?

They were all made, yes. Executive Promos are what they're commonly referred to as; essentially in house runs circulated amongst the powers that be for final approval of quality and design. Most serial numbered inserts from 1996 to 1998 DLP have come to light in EP form. Some appear more rare than others. I bought a complete set of 1997 Studio Master Strokes Jumbos several years ago, that I've only ever seen the one of. Others I've seen 4 or 5 of, but it's generally accepted that there are less than 10 of each, though you'll hear some quote 2 to 5.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Maybe I am too old school, but I am the only one who finds most of these inserts repulsive? I can't stand the fake backgrounds, all the lasery stuff going on. I guess I prefer a players to be pictured on the field or at bat.

As someone who grew up in the 80's and 90's, the kinds of cards they had in the late 90's-current are incredible compared to what was a big deal back in the day. When I was collecting and something like 89 UD came out and then Leaf and finally stadium club and the like, it was the most awesome stuff imaginable. Imagine, after having dropped out of sports card collecting in 94 and briefly dabbling with a handful of packs from K-Mart in the late 90's(which did in fact blow my mind), what I thought when I saw the cards they had up through now. GU'd and autos got me back into this hobby full force. With that said...

With 90's stuff, I believe the allure is the fact that a lot of things were hard to pull(in some cases really really hard), there were no guaranteed hits, the cards look about as awesome as a card could conceivably look without being autographed or game used, and they just can't ever replicate them. They try now I think. But you can't just recreate PMG's or Crusades or Mirror Golds and have them mean what these do.

The card you describe are what I think of when I think of older topps sets and the like. But saying you prefer them over the 90's stuff is like saying you prefer a station wagon over a ferrari.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
As someone who grew up in the 80's and 90's, the kinds of cards they had in the late 90's-current are incredible compared to what was a big deal back in the day. When I was collecting and something like 89 UD came out and then Leaf and finally stadium club and the like, it was the most awesome stuff imaginable. Imagine, after having dropped out of sports card collecting in 94 and briefly dabbling with a handful of packs from K-Mart in the late 90's(which did in fact blow my mind), what I thought when I saw the cards they had up through now. GU'd and autos got me back into this hobby full force. With that said...

With 90's stuff, I believe the allure is the fact that a lot of things were hard to pull(in some cases really really hard), there were no guaranteed hits, the cards look about as awesome as a card could conceivably look without being autographed or game used, and they just can't ever replicate them. They try now I think. But you can't just recreate PMG's or Crusades or Mirror Golds and have them mean what these do.

The card you describe are what I think of when I think of older topps sets and the like. But saying you prefer them over the 90's stuff is like saying you prefer a station wagon over a ferrari.

Better yet. I will take the Ferrari 456 Venice station wagon.

ferrariwagon2.jpg

deadman31

Sep 15, 2010
I certainly hope I didn't insult anyone and like I said I certainly wouldn't kick any of those inserts out of my collection if I had them. The backgrounds are just way too much for me. I feel like I'm watching Pokemon or something. Mostly, I was just making an observation.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
I certainly hope I didn't insult anyone and like I said I certainly wouldn't kick any of those inserts out of my collection if I had them. The backgrounds are just way too much for me. I feel like I'm watching Pokemon or something. Mostly, I was just making an observation.
I do not see too much here, just a work of art.

juan_picture.php

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Anyone else get their player? I picked up the two Lankford and four Mo Vaughn cards.

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/321984060246

Ha, no joke, came on here to message you George. I just talked to him a few mins ago. That's a friend of mines listings. Glad you grabbed em. He's got a good amount of stuff listed as well as HoF Autos. I'll spam for him a lil more and state he runs SigAuctions.com where he has auctions for nice memorabilia and autos.

Ryan

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Didn't see Rickey.
I saw a few stars but the listings seemed to be a bunch of common and minor stars. It is funny since we had recently discussed replacement cards that would have been serial numbered.

Ha, no joke, came on here to message you George. I just talked to him a few mins ago. That's a friend of mines listings. Glad you grabbed em. He's got a good amount of stuff listed as well as HoF Autos. I'll spam for him a lil more and state he runs SigAuctions.com where he has auctions for nice memorabilia and autos.

Ryan
Thanks

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008

No big deal. Some of them are a little crazy looking. I myself prefer diecuts and acetate cards. IMO some of the best looking diecuts are the mother load cards and the diamond immortals. Skylines are awesome as well.