Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh, so THAT'S why my '91 cards are worthless

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Junk wax to me is from '87 to '92.

Sure not everything from that span but most is. You can also walk into any major show and have no problem finding wax from these times for under $10 (although seems like '87 topps has finally dried up) and obviously, the cards have no value.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Anybody have any old magazines advertising 1988 Score ? I always wondered about their marketing campaign.

Also, any advertising for 1990 Leaf ?

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
Anybody have any old magazines advertising 1988 Score ? I always wondered about their marketing campaign.

Also, any advertising for 1990 Leaf ?

I'll dig around in my magazine archive, but it really seems as though there was practically zero marketing of baseball card sets pre-Upper Deck. After 1989, there were loads of ads in the hobby mags for nearly every product you could think of (sports, cars, Coca Cola, cheerleaders, motorcycles, movies, comic books, etc.). Before that, the bulk of "corporate product" type ads were for plastic sheets or other storage solutions. Almost everything else was just dealers selling cards. About the only "marketing" for the sets was whatever write up the magazine did.

Bob M

Dec 7, 2014
Surfside Beach SC
Those complete sets I bought in 91 for $15-20 are now selling for 8 bucks. Now I am glad I didn't have enough money to buy a few hundred of them.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Those complete sets I bought in 91 for $15-20 are now selling for 8 bucks. Now I am glad I didn't have enough money to buy a few hundred of them.

I've seen junk wax factory sets at shows for as low as $1, with no takers. When I started collecting in 2008, after a 7 year break, I went out and bought a bunch of that era's "greatest hits" (1988 Donruss, 1991 Score, 1990 Bowman, 1992 Upper Deck, etc). They ended up being so worthless that I dumped them all (minus my PC players) at Savers. Gave them close to 25K junk wax commons, and didn't even feel bad that I gave them away.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I've seen junk wax factory sets at shows for as low as $1, with no takers. When I started collecting in 2008, after a 7 year break, I went out and bought a bunch of that era's "greatest hits" (1988 Donruss, 1991 Score, 1990 Bowman, 1992 Upper Deck, etc). They ended up being so worthless that I dumped them all (minus my PC players) at Savers. Gave them close to 25K junk wax commons, and didn't even feel bad that I gave them away.

For me it was the other way around. I always wanted these as a kid and never got any sets. So when I got back into the hobby, I purchased every set I could between 1982-1995. Obviously topps and Donruss were heavy favorites with 1991 topps being my favorite. Plus all the rookie cards of HOF members or soon to be members were really cool to pick up at $1 a piece or less.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts