Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BA's Organizational Top 10 Prospect Lists Thread (Today - Update)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
I get Kingery but not really sure about Sanchez...he was good but he didn't exactly set the world on fire...I would say Adonis Medina is on par with sanchez.

Either way it's a good problem to have.

I've seen both Medina and Sanchez throw at Lakewood. Give me Sanchez over Medina any day.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
I've seen both Medina and Sanchez throw at Lakewood. Give me Sanchez over Medina any day.

The numbers don't really support that...as I've said I don't think the eyeball test is really a good indicator of anything.

Medina is earning to miss bats and has better secondary stuff right now. Pretty much every report on sanchez speaks to him getting by on velocity.

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
The numbers don't really support that...as I've said I don't think the eyeball test is really a good indicator of anything.

Medina is earning to miss bats and has better secondary stuff right now. Pretty much every report on sanchez speaks to him getting by on velocity.

Sanchez most definitely has a better change up than Medina. The latter does have a better breaking ball, to which Sanchez is lacking. I rank Sanchez higher based on his ceiling and more than just eye ball lol

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
Sanchez most definitely has a better change up than Medina. The latter does have a better breaking ball, to which Sanchez is lacking. I rank Sanchez higher based on his ceiling and more than just eye ball lol

From Baseball America's chat:

Matt (Ca): What’s Sixto Sanchez’s ceiling as a pitcher?

Ben Badler: Frontline starter. It's a very small group of pitching prospects in the game better than him.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
From Baseball America's chat:

Matt (Ca): What’s Sixto Sanchez’s ceiling as a pitcher?

Ben Badler: Frontline starter. It's a very small group of pitching prospects in the game better than him.

This is what you typed. Just want to make sure we don't lose that in the conversation. You saw them throw and chose sixto sanchez.

If you want to discuss ceiling that's fine but at this point the results are in the favor of Medina and he's closer to being ready to go up the ladder. Sanchez is currently a very plus fastball and the rest needs to develop. Medinas secondary stuff has come along.

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
This is what you typed. Just want to make sure we don't lose that in the conversation. You saw them throw and chose sixto sanchez.

If you want to discuss ceiling that's fine but at this point the results are in the favor of Medina and he's closer to being ready to go up the ladder. Sanchez is currently a very plus fastball and the rest needs to develop. Medinas secondary stuff has come along.

I did, but that is also based on other stats. Not just my personal observation alone. Sanchez walked less hitters, opponents had a lower batting average against, he threw for a lower WHIP, only allowed 2 long balls to Medina's 7, etc. The ball explodes out of Sanchez hand. It's easy gas, whereas Medina can locate it just a tad bit better at this juncture. Sanchez is the better prospect now and can be even better given his high ceiling.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
I did, but that is also based on other stats. Not just my personal observation alone. Sanchez walked less hitters, opponents had a lower batting average against, he threw for a lower WHIP, only allowed 2 long balls to Medina's 7, etc. The ball explodes out of Sanchez hand. It's easy gas, whereas Medina can locate it just a tad bit better at this juncture. Sanchez is the better prospect now and can be even better given his high ceiling.

Fair enough...I generally like to see how players progress and as the season went on Medina seemed to improve while even with considerably less innings Sanchez went down slightly. Sanchez also saw his walks go up.

Again...it's a good problem to have but I still don't think we can make any judgments on the very limited inning Sanchez pitches.

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
St. Louis Cardinals Top 10 Prospects

1. Alex Reyes, RHP
2. Jack Flaherty, RHP
3. Carson Kelly, C
4. Sandy Alcantara, RHP
5. Tyler O'Neill, OF
6. Jordan Hicks, RHP
7. Magneuris Sierra, OF
8. Harrison Bader, OF
9. Dakota Hudson, RHP
10. Ryan Helsley, RHP

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/2018-st-louis-cardinals-top-10-prospects/#0gjJsqq0DJxb2ItK.97

(Well, get outta town! Another top 10 list missing Delvin Perez. Obviously it's one big conspiracy.)[/QUOTE

Yes sir. One big conspiracy. Spoiler alert: I'm in the process of finishing my top 100 and I wrote down 160 names whom I deemed worthy. Perez didn't even sniff that 160

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
This is a perfect time to buy Delvin Perez.

He's still very young and the tools are still there.[/QUOTE

No one is denying the existence of natural ability because he was a first rounder after all, but there are some serious concerns regarding his maturity. He was big leaguing in Johnson City for crying out loud.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
This is a perfect time to buy Delvin Perez.

He's still very young and the tools are still there.[/QUOTE

No one is denying the existence of natural ability because he was a first rounder after all, but there are some serious concerns regarding his maturity. He was big leaguing in Johnson City for crying out loud.

He's 18...I would imagine that happens alot.

He's working with Jose oquendo and they are paying extra special attention to him this winter including keeping him away from winter ball.

Doesnt K much for a teenager. I'll always take a chance on that type of skillset...especially at these prices.

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
He's 18...I would imagine that happens alot.

He's working with Jose oquendo and they are paying extra special attention to him this winter including keeping him away from winter ball.

Doesnt K much for a teenager. I'll always take a chance on that type of skillset...especially at these prices.

From an investment standpoint, it's buy time. From an evaluators standpoint, it's cringe worthy lol

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
St. Louis Cardinals Top 10 Prospects

1. Alex Reyes, RHP
2. Jack Flaherty, RHP
3. Carson Kelly, C
4. Sandy Alcantara, RHP
5. Tyler O'Neill, OF
6. Jordan Hicks, RHP
7. Magneuris Sierra, OF
8. Harrison Bader, OF
9. Dakota Hudson, RHP
10. Ryan Helsley, RHP

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/2018-st-louis-cardinals-top-10-prospects/#0gjJsqq0DJxb2ItK.97

(Well, get outta town! Another top 10 list missing Delvin Perez. Obviously it's one big conspiracy.)

I really don't understand why Alcantara is being ranked higher than O'Neill (jbone had a similar ranking I believe). Honestly I don't see anything that stands out about him (certainly not top 100) & while O'Neill's batting average & OPS took a dip this year, his power potential is enough to keep him among the top 100.