Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Really Topps? 125 SSP's in update?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Google "what's the difference between Sp and Ssp". Just because a lot of people are misusing the designation "Ssp" doesn't change it's actual meaning

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
That is interesting since someone else here just said for the most part this hobby is full of completists.My friend collects some sets, I doubt he would spend for the SP's either, but could see why many would want them as part of their set.

I like completing a set with all sp's of it's doable. Problem is, a lot of times it's not. You'll end up spending a few hundred dollars to get all the sp's. Add in the inserts and the base set and it's beyond a lost cause. Resell value is nil compared to cost of putting it together. Normally as a collector that doesn't bother me. But when I'll have to spend $500 to build a set, and it's worth $100 to the one or two people alive who maybe just maybe might pay even that much, it's not worth it to me.

There's a line I have to draw, even as a collector...

tribefan26

Jul 7, 2010
I like completing a set with all sp's of it's doable. Problem is, a lot of times it's not. You'll end up spending a few hundred dollars to get all the sp's. Add in the inserts and the base set and it's beyond a lost cause. Resell value is nil compared to cost of putting it together. Normally as a collector that doesn't bother me. But when I'll have to spend $500 to build a set, and it's worth $100 to the one or two people alive who maybe just maybe might pay even that much, it's not worth it to me.

There's a line I have to draw, even as a collector...

This is exactly my dilemma and where I think a set like this with 125 variations/SPs/SSPs exists. When there are 10 I go after them - when there are this many I give up.
I've always enjoyed the chase of the high number SPs in heritage - but even that is getting action variations, throwback variations, SSP errors. I just don;t even worry when they add that much.

There is no more misused term on eBay than SP and SSP - it gets applied to all kinds of cards that shouldn't be listed that way.

Apr 23, 2012
New Orleans
SPs that are Numbered as part of the set (heritage 426-500 etc) are part of a set.

SSP variations are only considered part of a complete set by hardcore master set collectors.

But everyone has to draw a line sonewhere - obviously even the most hardcore master set completists can't get 1/1 parallels.

So, everyone chooses what to collect. More products / more inserts / more parallels / more variations just mean more choices. I don't mind it.

Sparkles for example, I think they're dumb and would never collect them. If I pulled one I would sell or trade it, or not even notice. No harm done.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
SPs that are Numbered as part of the set (heritage 426-500 etc) are part of a set.

SSP variations are only considered part of a complete set by hardcore master set collectors.

But everyone has to draw a line sonewhere - obviously even the most hardcore master set completists can't get 1/1 parallels.

So, everyone chooses what to collect. More products / more inserts / more parallels / more variations just mean more choices. I don't mind it.

Sparkles for example, I think they're dumb and would never collect them. If I pulled one I would sell or trade it, or not even notice. No harm done.

The gist of the problem is: who's collecting all of these? As a master set? These types of things while good for box breakers, are normally only cared about by set collectors and player collectors. With there being too many to put to together for a set, you've alienated a good portion of the people who buy them. And with the ten thousand parallels out, even the player collectors are more than ever getting tired. At that point, it gets questionable as to whether or not it's worth producing by the company in the first place.

Topps takes a good idea and runs it into the ground. Sometimes less is more and I think everyone is getting to the point where they've had their fill.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Google "what's the difference between Sp and Ssp". Just because a lot of people are misusing the designation "Ssp" doesn't change it's actual meaning

I thought they were the same thing.Thought it was a typo when he meant SP.

Members online