Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Why do you collect what you collect?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

heartyourlife

Jul 29, 2010
Iowa City, IA
Seems like everyone collects a variety of different things, whether it's complete sets, team/player sets, prospects or HOFers, and everything inbetween.

My question is: why do you collect what you collect? Where does your motivation come from? What got you into your particular collecting habit?

I collect three main things:

- Cards featuring certified autos and/or relics of players in Cardinals uniforms, who have played for the Cardinals at least one major league game in their careers.

- All Cardinals Heritage & Archives/Fan Favorites auto and relic cards

- All Cardinals All-Star auto and relic cards

I collect Cardinals because they have been my favorite team since as far back as I can remember (I'm 35). Ozzie Smith was my favorite player growing up, which is kind of funny because the only position I never manned once in little league was shortstop haha. My goal is to have at least one auto and/or relic of every player available.

I love Heritage and Archives because it reminds me of when I started collecting cards as a youngster. One day my dad came out of the attic and took me into his bedroom. He put the bags on the bed and said "have fun sorting these". It turned out to be all his cards from his childhood, which amounted to complete sets of 1956-1969 topps baseball, 1955 All American football and 1957 Topps football plus a ton of dupes. Needless to say there are a ton of awesome cards in there. He used to take me to the LCS all the time and helped me set up at card shows all the time. So Heritage and Archives will always remind me of my dad and his impact on my collecting.

As far as All- Star cards, I went to my first All-Star game, appropriately enough, at Busch Stadium in 2009. I've also been to Arizona in 2011 and Kansas City in 2012. For any of the games I go to I put together a complete All-Star Stitches set from Topps. For 2009 I'm going after every auto and relic card from Topps except the jumbo patches, and am one card away from reaching that goal.

So what's your story?

Last edited:

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
Pirate fan since about 1957 and now we have a minor league team so I follow the players I've met wherever they play

TwinsWin

Mar 14, 2011
I collect the twins topps sets because they are my favorite team.
I collect complete topps sets because I like the chase each year to collect them.
I started collecting bobbleheads because it liked how they displayed and the fact there was so many different players for the twins

Sent from my iPad using Freedom Card Board mobile app

CFD1415

Jun 7, 2013
Mocksville, NC
I Collect Chris Carpenter Because He Is My Favorite Cardinals Player. The Intensity He Brought To The Game Everytime He Pitched Was Simply Amazing.

hrbek14

Jan 27, 2013
Waconia, MN
Collect Twins because they've been my favorite team since moving to MN in 1987 when I was 5. I collect Twins autos (mostly 16x20, some 8x10, bats) to fill up the man cave in the house we built last year. I collect Hrbek cards because he's been my favorite player since I was a kid, think I was the only kid in the neighborhood that didn't worship Puckett.

eltoro2012

Nov 3, 2013
I started collecting Gaylord Perry around 2000 when Meet the Parents came out (Ben Stiller = Gaylord Focker). After I got past the name and was able to learn about his accomplishments (Cy Young in each league, 314 career wind, 3534 career strikeouts, No-hitter versus Bob Gibson in 1968) I was hooked.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
Adam Dunn autograph cards: He is my favorite player and a card with an autograph has a personal touch.
Adam Dunn Reds game used bats: Favorite player, favorite team and I love the aura of a game used bat. Each bat tells a different story.

madbull34

Sep 10, 2009
San Diego, CA
Rookies, relics and autographs of Japanese MLB players because I'm Japanese American. I also collect autographs of prominent Padres players since I'm a lifelong resident and fan.

heartyourlife

Jul 29, 2010
Iowa City, IA
I started collecting Gaylord Perry around 2000 when Meet the Parents came out (Ben Stiller = Gaylord Focker). After I got past the name and was able to learn about his accomplishments (Cy Young in each league, 314 career wind, 3534 career strikeouts, No-hitter versus Bob Gibson in 1968) I was hooked.

If that's true it's the best reason I've ever heard haha

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
I collect Phillies cards because they have been my favorite team since the 60's and are a fun team to collect.
I collect Topps sets because I have been collecting Topps cards since the 60's and they are the best brand of cards.
I collect Jim Thome because he became a Philly, he played the game the right way, he's a really nice guy, a class act, a pure powere hitter, didn't stand and stare at his home runs (even though it did take a while for him to get around the bases), he sent me a TTM auto in 12 days, and his 9,000+ cards are fun to look for and collect.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I collect sets because I have no real loyalty or alliance to any MLB team, with two teams over 8 hours away by car, so sets allow me to collect what I follow, the MLB in general instead of concentrating heavily on one specific team. The closest loyalty I have is the Dodgers, who are the parent club of the local Triple-A team Isotopes. I do watch the Dodgers quite a bit on MLB.TV when the Isotopes aren't playing on MILB.TV and also listen to the Dodgertalk podcast on every gameday.

I have a part of the PC dedicated to cert autos of players who have suited up for the Triple-A Isotopes, within budget so there are some players that I may never get their cert auto or maybe get it when they retire and become more out of mind and prices of their cert autos slump.

I also collect cert autos of players I admire from around the league (again, within budget - I doubt I'm every going to be able to afford a Mike Trout cert auto unless I happen to pack pull it). I also collect relics where I like the jersey swatch or item featured on the card is pretty cool or unique and want to have at least one in my PC.

eltoro2012

Nov 3, 2013
It's the truth.

Also has a reference point I was only 10 @ the time the movie came out. That may help to explain it haha

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Marlins because they're my favorite team.

Stanton and Trout because they're my two favorite players.

Blue refractors because I like the color blue

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
Collect:

Brooks Robinson - pretty much "everything" pre-1978.

Orioles - memorabilia

Brooks was my favorite player growing up and love the O's!

"Brooks Robinson was the best third baseman ever." - Sleepless in Seattle

roundtree34

Aug 9, 2008
I collect any and all refractors,I have a special needs son who likes the way they shine. He will sit for hour an look though them.

Members online