Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The 2014 Topps (High) Tek Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
what's the definition of "diffractor".

I opened one box, my numbered card was numbered /50 and I think i've researched it to be a "gold diffractor". It does have a lot of gold color in the design, so "gold" makes sense but I don't understand what "diffractor" means. The gold color does not have a "refractor" type look to me, but there are other elements in the design on the front that look like they have a "refractor" like finish to it. Does "diffractor" mean that some elements of the card -- such as the gold colored areas -- are lacking that "refractor"-like element?

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
what's the definition of "diffractor".

I opened one box, my numbered card was numbered /50 and I think i've researched it to be a "gold diffractor". It does have a lot of gold color in the design, so "gold" makes sense but I don't understand what "diffractor" means. The gold color does not have a "refractor" type look to me, but there are other elements in the design on the front that look like they have a "refractor" like finish to it. Does "diffractor" mean that some elements of the card -- such as the gold colored areas -- are lacking that "refractor"-like element?

Anything with a serial number I think is labeled a diffractor (except I think gold).

/50 is disco diffractor
gold is /99

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Anything with a serial number I think is labeled a diffractor (except I think gold).

/50 is disco diffractor
gold is /99

so you are basically saying "refractor" is to bowman chrome as "diffractor" is to TEK? I thought the word diffractor actually had some meaning other than just to be associated with TEK.

as for the numbering, I got mixed up - my gold is indeed /99 - in my first post, the /50 was my auto card and I got mixed up in the numbering when posting.

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
so you are basically saying "refractor" is to bowman chrome as "diffractor" is to TEK? I thought the word diffractor actually had some meaning other than just to be associated with TEK.

as for the numbering, I got mixed up - my gold is indeed /99 - in my first post, the /50 was my auto card and I got mixed up in the numbering when posting.

They simply borrowed the term Diffractor from the extremely popular parallel from the original 1998 issue to bring attention to their product. We generally refer to them as Gold, (Cracked) Ice, Disco, Clouds, Red Storm, and Blue Dots and don't add the unnecessary "diffractor" when referring to them. Also sellers just add it randomly to their listings to get in more search results.

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
They simply borrowed the term Diffractor from the extremely popular parallel from the original 1998 issue to bring attention to their product. We generally refer to them as Gold, (Cracked) Ice, Disco, Clouds, Red Storm, and Blue Dots and don't add the unnecessary "diffractor" when referring to them. Also sellers just add it randomly to their listings to get in more search results.

Exactly. Diffractor is just an attention grabber because of how ridiculously popular that term is from the 1998 set. It's a bit of an annoyance because it messes with the current search for the real diffractors! ('98)

bigunitcards

Sep 8, 2013
OKC, OK
Lost out on the RJ 1/1 GC Auto, Best Offer'd out at $800. I was only willing to go $500-$600, and that felt steep for a non-Superfractor. Oh wellers, maybe I'll luck out on the 1/1 non-auto.

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
Exactly. Diffractor is just an attention grabber because of how ridiculously popular that term is from the 1998 set. It's a bit of an annoyance because it messes with the current search for the real diffractors! ('98)

The ice cards /75 seem to actually be diffractors as their pattern background is very similar to the 1998 diffractors.

Last edited:

Ghumbs

Oct 3, 2011
Seattle, WA
Looks like they just added more, so I grabbed the Jeter Tektonics. If you're going to order one, don't forget to mess around on the site until you get a 20% off popup if you enter your email. It offered me 5%, 10%, and 15% too, but I just kept opening private browsers until I got the 20% off, then I entered my email and checked out.

Last edited:

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
Looks like they just added more, so I grabbed the Jeter Tektonics. If you're going to order one, don't forget to mess around on the site until you get a 20% off popup if you enter your email. It offered me 5%, 10%, and 15% too, but I just kept opening private browsers until I got the 20% off, then I entered my email and checked out.

Nice grab! Looks like some of those aren't even actual cards! Joc Pederson?

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Latest and greatest buyback just arrived! That makes 3 (the one on the left), I'm hoping there is one more '99 and then a '98. That would be pretty sweet to have one from each variation of the base Tek sets:

tek_strip4.jpg

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
Latest and greatest buyback just arrived! That makes 3 (the one on the left), I'm hoping there is one more '99 and then a '98. That would be pretty sweet to have one from each variation of the base Tek sets:

tek_strip4.jpg

The one on the left is awesome!

Has anyone actually seen a 1998 Buyback yet? Looks like none have hit ebay. Maybe the redemption buybacks will be 98s?

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX

tek_strip4.jpg
Wow, all those you own and all are 1/1s? Holy moly that is awesome and also you must have deep pockets ;) Thanks for sharing! Good luck on the balance of the ones outstanding.

Members online

Latest posts