Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The Official 2018 Atlanta Braves Season discussion thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
Beltre burned his prime years 26-30 in (old dimension) Safeco Field, which was just death for RHH. Who knows how crazy of numbers he would have if he played elsewhere.

Yeah, I was gonna say Beltre spent his worst years in Seattle

Red Sox: .321 avg/.919 OPS
Rangers: .307 avg/.869 OPS
Dodgers: .274 avg/.794 OPS
Mariners: .266 avg/.759 OPS

If he spent those years in Boston or Texas he'd likely have 500 home runs & close to 3,300 hits.

As far as trades tonight all i want is stroman, archer or degrom. Not gonna happen, but whatever.

Yeah, same here. 0% chance of getting degrom cuz I don't think the Mets plan to trade him and if they did, it certainly wouldn't be within division but I'd give us a solid 1-2% shot at Stroman and maybe as high as 3% for Archer!!!

Our offense has been running on fumes but I really don't think trading for position players is a wise idea since many of them are young controllable players with long term potential (and then Freeman & Markakis). Pretty much it's either our starting lineup hitters get out of their slump or they don't.

I'd love a starting pitcher like the names already mentioned but it's doubtful that happens. Otherwise, I'd like to see us make a trade for a top tier bullpen arm but I'm not willing to giveaway any of our top 100 pitching prospects for one. Relief pitchers are a fickle bunch. They might string together 1-3 really good years but then completely fall apart.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
You don't want Archer. I will be glad when the Rays get rid of him.

His ERA has been unspectacular these last few years but his peripheral stats have remained strong (2016 FIP: 3.81/2017 FIP: 3.40/2018 FIP: 3.62 with an excellent K/9 & BB/9). He pitches in an incredibly tough offensive division. If he were to move to the NL East I imagine his ERA would begin to matchup (or possibly exceed) with his FIP.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
So, the Braves acquired Adam Duvall from the Reds for Lucas Sims, Matt Wisler & Preston Tucker.

Not going to miss any of those guys but Duvall isn't anything incredibly special either. A career .294 OBP is pretty awful and he strikes out a ton...but he will hit some home runs and has well above average defense. He's primarily an outfielder but where do we put him? I imagine he'll serve as our #4 outfielder, mostly pinch hitting and coming in as a late inning defensive replacement.

Rabs

Jan 25, 2011
Land O Lakes, FL
Phillies just lost so that helps us.

As for Duvall, only thing that makes sense is using him vs. lefties. Sit Ender and move Acuna to CF with Duvall in LF.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
I dont see the need for Duvall.

Same here, when I heard that Alice In Chains was going to do a second run (post death of Layne Staley) I was very thrilled. I instantly thought of all the cool singers they could sign but when I heard it was William Duvall I was gutted. People tried to tell me "oh, it wont be that bad, Cantrell will sing most of the time still" but it has been horrible. How would you like it if a Lenny Kravitz wannable took over your favorite band? :cry:

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
Braves won't be getting Chris Archer but receive Kevin Gausman (and Darren O'Day) as a consolation prize & we didn't have to give up any top 100 prospects. The only prospect of any real potential value that we traded was Brett Cumberland & the rest were simply junk, to put it nicely.

So all in all, I'm happy with this move. After his 2016 season a lot of people were thinking that Gausman was an emerging ace but unfortunately his 2017 & 2018 seasons have not lived up to the hype. However, now that he's pitching in a much easier division (and bigger ballpark) I think it's safe to say that we'll see some improvements from him. Even his numbers with the O's this season are better than what we have gotten from Teheran (who I'd love to see traded).

Members online