Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

"Fastball"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
Hey, gang. I recently viewed a documentary on Netflix titled "Fastball." It attempts to answer the age old question "Who threw the fastest pitch ever?" The documentary also focuses on the fastest pitchers of each era, but also, a few surprises are thrown in there. Do you know who Steve Dalkowski is? I didn't, but now I certainly do. The film concludes with an in depth analysis of comparing old methods of measuring fastballs, to the newest available indicators of the 21st century. The newest data suggests that Aroldis Chapman is the king at 105.1 MPH. Well, is he the fastest, though? You must view to find out. No spoilers here :D

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
Never seen it, sounds interesting. I did know that Bob Feller was known for the longest time as the fastest fastball. I think Chapman beat him though.

cbrandtw

Sep 12, 2008
Daphne, AL
Very good documentary. I saw it a month or two ago. My father-in-law told me about it and also told me there is one for hitting as well but I don't remember the name of it right now. Back to fastball. Here is something amazing I learned. Along with Nolan's 7 no-hitters he also threw 12 one-hitters and 18 two-hitters. Now that is amazing.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
I will check it out, thanks for the tip.

I remember reading a little book about Dalkowski in junior high. The original "Wild Thing," stuff of legend.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
My father-in-law told me about it and also told me there is one for hitting as well but I don't remember the name of it right now.
There's also another good pitching documentary on Netflix called Knuckleball.
It features Tim Wakefield, R.A. Dickey and other famous knuckleballers.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
The Fastball one is interesting because it highlights so many current guys who throw so hard. I remember as a kid Nolan Ryan was the fastest at 100.9, but now that's a number that's hit fairly regularly by people I didn't realize. For instance, I did not picture David Price as a 100-mph guy. And the movie shows how the various testing methods developed over the years. The 100.9 for Ryan was actually probably low, given how the system worked. Feller's test was somewhat laughable relative to today's technology, and even for the time seems crude.

Members online

Latest posts