Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The 1998 Topps Tek Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

togaman

Oct 27, 2008
Houston
Thats a pattern# 1 (McCracken) that I do not have. Oddly while I have 262 1998 TEK Diffractors (A far distant second place to Rich R)
I have 18 (6.8% of my diffractors) of the Pattern # 1 Diffractors (or 20% of a 90 card set)

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
No need to get nose out of joint.. Thought you initially were looking for 1998 TEK buyers or 1998 TEK traders. Maybe I misunderstood your posts. If my question regarding the pictures offended you for some reason I apologize. The Teks are beautiful cards. I have the same issue with 30-40 years worth of cards from being a long time off-and-on collector and set builder. Good luck organizing yours.. It took me two months every evening sorting and organizing and I barely made a dent.
It's a daunting task - you don't realize how much you have until you start opening boxes and boxes of cards you've amassed over the years. I still am stunned by the shear amount of cards I've collected over the years.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
was it anyone here who won 10 98 Diffractors on ebay for $ 65

That's a HR win whoever got it as long as that McGwire is needed by one of the huge McGwire guys :lol:

I sold mine for I think $65, so that covers the entire lot

---
Looking for Albert Belle cards! PM me!

rinkrat38

Oct 14, 2012
South Deerfield, Mass.
Not me. I put in a bid, but was outbid. Only the Tim Salmon and Tino Martinez patterns would have been new ones for me, but thought the Wood and McGwire cards would have had good trade value. If someone here won that auction, LMK and I would be glad to trade for or buy the Salmon and Martinez cards. (There were 7 diffractor patterns listed.)
was it anyone here who won 10 98 Diffractors on ebay for $ 65

togaman

Oct 27, 2008
Houston
I bid but dropped out early. I miss the good old days on ebay where we could go through the back door and contact other bidders and then make trades. Our 1998 TEK sets would never had been completed had it not been for that opportunity to connect with other 98 TEK collectors who were bidding on 1998 TEK cards

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Thats a pattern# 1 (McCracken) that I do not have. Oddly while I have 262 1998 TEK Diffractors (A far distant second place to Rich R)
I have 18 (6.8% of my diffractors) of the Pattern # 1 Diffractors (or 20% of a 90 card set)

If you want McCracken 1 it is yours for a Lankford diffractor.

togaman

Oct 27, 2008
Houston
I only have two Lankford 98 TEK diffractors (pattern #s 15 and 31). One is in one completed 90 card diffractor set and the other is in my second diffractor set
which has 14 to go... Always happy to trade cards that are dupes to me but unfortunately these are not

U L Washington Rookie

Dec 7, 2012
D Town
Here's a list of a few I picked up recently:
Card / Pattern / Player
62 / 24 / Cruz Jr
62 / 13 / Cruz Jr
69 / 68 / Helton
29 / 63 / Sheffield
43 / 34 / Delgado
12 / 47 / Biggio (has a small amount of black splotching on the front of the card)
11 / 28 / Karros
10 / 13 / Glavine (has a lot of black splotching on the front of the card)

I'm up for trading for other '98 Tek (especially of Maddux, Vlad G, or Mo Vaughn).

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
Wow - we went about a week without a post!

I've decided to go for a base set of Pattern 68. I also like to pick up Pattern 68 Diffractors when I can. I'm off to a good start with Griffey, Frank, and Mussina, but unfortunately my list ends there. I did just get this in trade from [MENTION=8009]rinkrat38[/MENTION] (your Fullmer is still at least a week away):

rustygreerfan-albums-super-sweet-90-s-part-ii-picture17728-tony-clark-pattern-68.jpg

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I put a R Alomar Diffractor on eBay last week .99 and let it go, ended at $14, wasn't too thrilled. I'm surprised his following isn't stronger.

Ryan

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Anyone think someone is keeping cases of this stuff sealed to keep prices and demand high? Like any chance a case of this stuff spikes one day? I don't remember how much of this flooded the market back in 1998 and the few years following.

---
Looking for Albert Belle cards! PM me!

rinkrat38

Oct 14, 2012
South Deerfield, Mass.
I put a R Alomar Diffractor on eBay last week .99 and let it go, ended at $14, wasn't too thrilled. I'm surprised his following isn't stronger.

Ryan
I've always felt that there was tremendous demand for all of the former O's players in the '98 Tek series. I have fewer diffractors of Robbie Alomar and Mike Mussina (15 and 13 respectively) than any '98 Tek players. I thought they were two of the more difficult players to collect all 90 of the base series too. The one you listed was a duplicate for me. I keep seeing duplicates (to me) listed on eBay for both of those players. Rich

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
I just ordered two of these. I'm assuming this it.

9 Pocket Portfolio
Amazon.com: 9 Pocket Portfolio: Toys & Games

My name is RustyGreerFan, and here's my review :mrgreen:

I first ordered one of these 9 Pocket Portfolios from Nerdvana Games on Amazon. Even though Sports Cards Etc had Free Super Saver Shipping, they were still a little cheaper with Nerdvana.

The cover is good - very similar quality to most albums. It bugged the OCD part of me that the edges of the portfolio don't come together perfectly, but it possibly could be reformed if put under a heavy book or something in the correct position. That probably makes no sense to you, but this will. The sheets are a poor quality. Worse than even Ultra Pro Silver sheets. Very flimsy with ugly dotted seams and some of the pages already had blemishes. I wonder if these are even safe for storage. Overall I'd say these are good for storing Tek (if not safe), but not at all for displaying. And of course for a set of 90 Tek this seems like the perfect fit.

Then I ordered another portfolio, but this time from Sports Cards Etc. Awful. The first few pages were actually wrinkled! Lots of blemishes on the pages and the fact that it had a sticker price tag on the album always bugs me. I returned it.

All said, I will probably buy a couple more because they are so perfect for Tek collecting, but I'll definitely be buying them from Nerdvana.

RICKJDLT

May 9, 2013
Hi, I am an Edgar Renteria collector & need the following 1998 Topps tek patterns 1,2,9,17,25,28,38,42,43,51,67,73,82,83,85 & 86, also any diffractors or rare Edgar Renteria cards you may have I will purchase. Thanks Rick

BenG76

May 15, 2013
Fancy Gap, VA
If anyone has any Cubs of these for trade or sale please let me know.

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Members online

Latest posts