Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ride the Tide MLB Stock Market Game

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cjedmonton

Sep 20, 2009
Great White North
Okay, the signup is closed. We only have 10 contestants, but I'll proceed anyway.

Please check out the bottom of the OP for a snapshot of everyone's portfolio.

I will post periodic "performance" updates between now and the end of the season.

I have also added two real time market price links at the bottom of the OP (one for hitters, one for pitchers). Only those players included in this game are included.

To calculate your gains/losses from selling a player:

(Sell Price x Net Shares) - Commission = Proceeds (deposited in your cash account)

Your original net holdings for that player are deducted from your current overall net holdings.

Contestants may make up to 6 trades. Remember, each buy and sell counts as one trade. You may not hold more than one position player or 4 starting pitchers at the same time. Please use the regular exchange links for a player's post-All Star price.

Any questions, just ask. Thanks and good luck!

Last edited:

cjedmonton

Sep 20, 2009
Great White North
I just want everyone to know that I had to revamp the procedure for making trades. I just received an order to sell a player, and the existing format really skewed the figures.

I hope robertwolf1 doesn't mind, but I'm using his trade as an example of how these will be handled.

Here is a walk through of his selling of his shares of Derek Dietrich:

Initial Net Holdings: 101,075
Sell Price: 3.08 (2nd Half OPS as of July 23rd)
Net Shares: 14,460
Sales Commission: 65% (as per the sales commission table for trades between Jul 22 - Jul 31)
Proceeds: 15,588 (3.08 x 14,460 - 65%)
Gain/Loss: -85,487
Total Net Holdings: 851,777 (prior total net holdings - Dietrich's initial net holdings)
Cash Balance: 18,241 (prior cash balance + proceeds from this trade)
Total Position: 870,018 (total net holdings + cash balance)

Any questions whatsoever, please ask. Thanks.

guzman4cy

Aug 18, 2009
I have a question, you mentioned that if we purchase a new player, they must have met the 1st half req's of 100 PAs or 80 IP. Is this total cumulative? As in they have to have reached this # of total ABs or IPs at purchase (for the duration of the season)? Or is it retroactive to 1st half #s ? Or do they have to achieve these req's in the 2nd half prior to being able to be purchased.

cjedmonton

Sep 20, 2009
Great White North
I have a question, you mentioned that if we purchase a new player, they must have met the 1st half req's of 100 PAs or 80 IP. Is this total cumulative? As in they have to have reached this # of total ABs or IPs at purchase (for the duration of the season)? Or is it retroactive to 1st half #s ? Or do they have to achieve these req's in the 2nd half prior to being able to be purchased.

Thanks for the question. To purchase a player in the 2nd half, they must have already acquired the 1st half min. requirement upon purchase (retroactive, as you put it). They can have 0 PA/0 IP in the 2nd half, but are still eligible for purchase if they met the benchmark before the All-Star break. Here is the relevant section from the OP:

BUYING PLAYERS

1. Buying shares of a new player to replace your old one is very easy. When you send me a PM to execute a trade, simply copy/paste the order form in your PM to me for execution.

Please ensure that any newly purchased players meet the 1st half minimum requirement of 100 PA or 80 IP.

Please ensure that you have enough funds available in your account to execute the trade. This includes factoring in any proceeds received minus commission charged for the sale of your old player.

2. Similar to the initial trades you made to open your portfolio, the market price you purchase a new player at will be equal to either 10x his current 2nd half OPS or his K/9 rate, minus the current purchase commission. Remember, the purchase commission is equal to 10% of the current winning percentage of that player's team.

craiger122003

Aug 7, 2008
vegas
Has anyone else sold off yet? I have just held everything I bought so far. I think I am doing ok???
Maybe we could make weekly updates. Its kinda fun rooting for guys I would normally curse at. :)

cjedmonton

Sep 20, 2009
Great White North
Here's an update through yesterday:

http://www.freewebs.com/cjedmonton/Stock/Stock1.xls

Simply go to your team tab to see your current portfolio performance.

Note: Those who selected Matt Kemp were very fortunate, as he had an astronomical 2nd half OPS before going on the DL. Owners should watch for his return, though, as his OPS will surely plummet. Time his return with a more favorable date for selling to maximize your return.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts