Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Bryce Harper overrated?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
Bryce Harper Voted Most Overrated by Peers

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/24/mlb-players-think-bryce-harper-is-the-most-overrated-in-all-of-baseball/

"ESPN the Magazine has joined in the increasingly common “let’s anonymously poll a hundred or two players and ask them who’s overrated” game. Except none of these things ever define what overrated means. Heck, I don’t know that anyone who talks about overrated/underrated knows what they really mean when they say that. Really, these kinds of polls are totally overrated.

Anyway, the players think that Bryce Harper is the most overrated. Which suggests to me that what most of these guys think of as “overrated” is really “overhyped” or “overreported.” I say this because I don’t get the sense that the general assessment of Harper’s skills are out of line with what he’s done thus far, especially at his young age. Also, they rate A-Rod as the third most overrated player, and who is rating A-Rod all that highly these days? It’s all about spilled ink, methinks, not what people actually think of them vis a vis their qualities as ballplayers."

Harper had 24% of the vote and Puig had 21%
Trout was voted best player at 56% and Miggy at 26%

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
Harper seems to be very good and humble about it. Same with Trout. Puig is also very good, but he knows it and doesn't listen to anyone that is trying to help him become better. He could be scary good.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Meh, he is WAY too young to be of the opinion that he won't validate his massive hype. Has he yet? No. Can he? Yes. Dude's freaking 21 and has already put up historic numbers for a 21 year-old. I think Mike Trout has spoiled everyone. Just because Harper hasn't reached Trout, doesn't mean he won't be an amazing top-5 player.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I agree with this, i see no reason he does not grow in to a perennial all star. The next coming of Christ? Perhaps not...

Harper has been on magazine covers since he's been 16.

For 5 years, he's been a media darling and for that reason people and players are confusing overrated with overexposed.

If anything, Harper's style of balls-to-the-wall play has been underrated since Mike Trout came up and stole a lot of his thunder.

Harper's 21 years old and has put up Mantle-esque stats since he's been called up. Hard to make an arguement for him actually being overrated.

Bootstraps9

Feb 4, 2014
Harper has great power but I think he is definitely overrated as of now. Could definitely become a more complete hitter though

Ogando, Michael Young, Leonys Martin and all Texas Rangers

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Harper has yet to play an inning of regular season Major League baseball at age 21, as he ended last season at only 20 years old. Only 3 players in the history of baseball had a higher OPS at age 20; Mickey Mantle, Mell Ott and Tony Conigliaro. Yes, Harper's OPS at age 20 is even higher than Mike Trout's was. Overrated? Please. Card-wise, he's EXTREMELY underrated as of right now and is one of the best buys out there.

Last edited:

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Harper has yet to play an inning of regular season Major League baseball at age 21, as he ended last season at only 20 years old. Only 3 players in the history of baseball had a higher OPS at age 20; Mickey Mantle, Mell Ott and Tony Conigliaro. Yes, Harper's OPS at age 20 is even higher than Mike Trout's was. Overrated? Please. Card-wise, he's EXTREMELY underrated as of right now and is one of the best buys out there.

I was with you until the bolded part when you, in my humble opinion, overstated your point of contention. I think he is going to have to do better than .270/20/60, regardless of his age, to really justify and increase in his current (and in my opinion perhaps a bit too high) prices. Either way, and considering all current context, I believe very few would agree that his prices/cards are as you put it "EXTREMELY underrated". If there were, they would be buying and pushing prices up, no?

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
I was with you until the bolded part when you, in my humble opinion, overstated your point of contention. I think he is going to have to do better than .270/20/60, regardless of his age, to really justify and increase in his current (and in my opinion perhaps a bit too high) prices. Either way, and considering all current context, I believe very few would agree that his prices/cards are as you put it "EXTREMELY underrated". If there were, they would be buying and pushing prices up, no?

Using the context of his performance before his age 21 season, he IS extremely underrated in the hobby. I think you may be thinking of his initial hype, as his prices have plummeted to a fraction of what they once were. I don't know why people have slowed down buying Harper. Probably because of articles like this and sentiments like yours. I don't care personally, as I buy players I believe to be under-appreciated in the hobby. Lots of great Harper steals out there. You won't find Trout steals.

Last edited:

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Harper has unlimited potential and his swing is a work of art (just look at Moxacaine's sig), but I think many investors are weary of his injury history.
He's been hurt a lot for someone so young.

Remember last year, he hit .360 with 9 homers in the first month, his card prices went crazy, then he had nagging injuries and slumped.
If he starts out hot again this season, his cards may not rise as high as last year because many investors think he's a risk until he plays a full healthy season.

Hopefully Harper can keep his aggressive gung-ho style of play without getting hurt anymore, because he's fun to watch.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Using the context of his performance before his age 21 season, he IS extremely underrated in the hobby. I think you may be thinking of his initial hype, as his prices have plummeted to a fraction of what they once were. I don't know why people have slowed down buying Harper. Probably because of articles like this and sentiments like yours. I don't care personally, as I buy players I believe to be under-appreciated in the hobby. Lots of great Harper steals out there. You won't find Trout steals.

Using the context of his age & potential, in conjunction with the context of his performance thus far has me seeing his demand and prices right where I believe they should be. I can see where if someone was looking at Trout prices then Harper prices, one could come to such conclusions. But lets be honest here, Harper is no Trout, not even close, not yet.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/24/mlb-players-think-bryce-harper-is-the-most-overrated-in-all-of-baseball/

"ESPN the Magazine has joined in the increasingly common “let’s anonymously poll a hundred or two players and ask them who’s overrated” game. Except none of these things ever define what overrated means. Heck, I don’t know that anyone who talks about overrated/underrated knows what they really mean when they say that. Really, these kinds of polls are totally overrated.

Anyway, the players think that Bryce Harper is the most overrated. Which suggests to me that what most of these guys think of as “overrated” is really “overhyped” or “overreported.” I say this because I don’t get the sense that the general assessment of Harper’s skills are out of line with what he’s done thus far, especially at his young age. Also, they rate A-Rod as the third most overrated player, and who is rating A-Rod all that highly these days? It’s all about spilled ink, methinks, not what people actually think of them vis a vis their qualities as ballplayers."

It's rare to read something this articulate on a message boards.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008

It's rare to read something this articulate on a message boards.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Overhyped and overexposed in the media, definitely.

Overrated, no way

You sir, hit the head on every single nail in this world!

The guy, I mean kid, has put up GREAT numbers at his old age of 20! HE COULDN'T EVEN LEGALLY DRINK PEOPLE!!

Now, if he is still putting up these stats later in his career, then yes, he would be over rated.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts