Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Mailday of the "decade"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jpcz

Aug 10, 2008
NY
Don't post much in terms of maildays, but I have to share today's.

quick backstory - [MENTION=1787]wideright[/MENTION] started this project when the set first came out back in 05-06, and got up to 88/90 card about a year ago. He unfortunately needed to part ways with it and I worked with him on a deal for the 88 cards. I PM'd [MENTION=2458]Erich[/MENTION] since I knew he had one of the two missing (Duke Snider) and he offered to sell that to me. About this time, i found the last card needed, the Willie McCovey /10 in a photobucket account....I traced it all the way to a blog and a diehard McCovey collector. He wasnt going to part ways with it...this was the only copy that anyone I have talked to has ever seen.

Fast forward to two weeks ago (I had been trying every few months with the collector, but no luck) and there was an auction for a dual auto with Killebrew from the 500HR subset. I bought it in hopes of pursuading the collector over the edge, and it turned out to be enough!! I traded away the dual auto /35 and the supremacy auto /20 for this FINAL card to complete the 90 card decades subset. It arrived this afternoon and wow, what a set!!

So, here is today's mail:

And here is the 90 card set!! Special thanks to Erich for the Snider and of course Dave for the opportunity to have this set (and I know it wasnt easy and was only from necessity, but glad i could finish it for ya bud)

http://s111.photobucket.com/user/jpcz/library/2005 Ult Sig Decades?sort=4&page=1

Last edited:

Erich

Aug 26, 2008
Anywhere Delta goes.
Dude! This makes me so happy you were able to finish what very well may the only Set of Decades put together. I am glad I could be apart of it.

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
OUTSTANDING! VERY well done sir! I'm glad to see another board member aquire Dave's (wideright) collection. That is a very impressive completion and the scans look great!

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Great story and finish to a super set. You should definitely continue to celebrate this one.
DANNY

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Seriously, that's what this hobby needs more of. These kind of stories.

Awesome AWESOME accomplishment. Congrats !!!!!

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Awesome! that's my favorite autographed set too. I'm not building it, but I have about 30 different.

Do you guys remember former member RU4Scuba? He was building the Decades autographed set and was even featured in Beckett's special set collectors issue in 2006.

jpcz

Aug 10, 2008
NY
Thanks everyone!! It's quite an awesome accomplishment that I can only take credit for putting together final two pieces...Dave did all the work on the rest.

This could very well be the only set out there, it's hard to believe that this mccovey hasn't been seen by so many set collectors in years. The guy I got it from doesnt remember where he got it, but he's in CA so it could have been a local show and not a public sale like eBay.

Dave still has a couple subsets that he's holding onto, and I was able to alert him to one that he needed a few months back (that he got). So he's still working on a few.

Thanks again...and now I can focus completely on the immortal inscriptions I need! The Ripken is another that no one has seen.

Sent from my iPad using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Erich

Aug 26, 2008
Anywhere Delta goes.
Awesome! that's my favorite autographed set too. I'm not building it, but I have about 30 different.

Do you guys remember former member RU4Scuba? He was building the Decades autographed set and was even featured in Beckett's special set collectors issue in 2006.

I remember him. I wonder if he ever finished the set? I also wonder what happened to him.

jpcz

Aug 10, 2008
NY
I remember him. I wonder if he ever finished the set? I also wonder what happened to him.

I had contacted him last year to see if he had anything left...the response I got was something that was very surprising. Something like a sentence that said he's not collecting or selling so "don't bother". Needless to say, I didn't respond or pursue anything further.

He didn't seem to have finished the set, because he mentioned not collecting anymore

Sent from my iPad using Freedom Card Board mobile app

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Glad to see the set completed! Congrats on the accomplishment. I remember swelling Dave the Maddux /10 a few years back, was another tough one to track down.

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
Well done and congrats John!!! Beautiful set- some all-time greats and some what-could-have-been (Upton, Weeks).

The 05 Ult. Signature collection is a gorgeous group of cards. Raymond from the old BMB got me hooked on the duals.

Give my best to Dave/Wide if you connect with him.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
Awesome, huge congrats! They look great together. I've always loved that set and remember a few BMB members working on it back in the day. The player selection is fantastic, a lot of great looking signatures. :)

Members online