Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Actually happy I'm not going to the National this year

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
You have to go atleast one time in your life. I have now been to the last 2 in Chicago and will beat it again when it's here (chicago) I live 45 minutes away.
But someday I'll go to the others,

Here is where it will be in the next few years Starting this year
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2014 - International Exposition (I-X) Center - Cleveland, OH[/FONT] Not going this year

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2015 - Donald E Stephens Convention Center Rosemont IL[/FONT] I'll be attending

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2016 - Atlantic City Convention Center - Atlantic City NJ[/FONT] Will try to get to this one

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2017 - Donald E Stephens Convention Center - Rosemont IL[/FONT] Will be attending

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2018 - International Exposition (I-X) Center - Cleveland, OH[/FONT] And try to get to this one.

Last edited:

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
Im going to the show, but on Friday only. Work schedule doesnt allow for me to go any other day. Plus its about a 3 hr drive from the house so no overnight stay for me!

Fordman

HumbleBob

Aug 2, 2009
Personally I wouldn't miss the show. In Baltimore I got to see grown men run in horror away from Reggie for fear of getting him mad. They went two or three rows away and took pictures. I walked right up to him and started talking to him. I got a pic with him and turned him on to my world a little. That was priceless. I know that stuff doesn't happen unless I am at that show. I talked to Dick Fosbury two years in a row. That guy was a huge talent. Really what older track guy that you know is in a current TV commercial? To me the National is way more social/museum/opportunities then it is about just getting a best deal on a card. But that is just me, welcome to my world. :cool:

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
I want to go but things at work might prevent that from happening. Does anyone have a suggestion for a cheap hotel/motel that is nearby? I'd be driving from about 3.5 hours away and wouldn't want to spend 7 hours driving and do the convention in the same day.

weight333

May 28, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Chris - Any meet ups or plans in the works yet for FCB members outside the booth? Like Friday or Saturday night? Not sure what all is nearby or where people are staying but would be cool to have a meet up or something.

---
Buying Albert Belle cards! PM me!

This would be a cool idea. I'll be driving in early Thursday morning and staying til Sunday. I'm going with a buddy and meeting quite a few other youtube collectors I've met over the past couple of years. I'm hoping there's a lot more modern (90s-present) cards than last year's Chicago!

gmarutiak

Jul 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Personally I wouldn't miss the show. In Baltimore I got to see grown men run in horror away from Reggie for fear of getting him mad. They went two or three rows away and took pictures. I walked right up to him and started talking to him. I got a pic with him and turned him on to my world a little. That was priceless. I know that stuff doesn't happen unless I am at that show. I talked to Dick Fosbury two years in a row. That guy was a huge talent. Really what older track guy that you know is in a current TV commercial? To me the National is way more social/museum/opportunities then it is about just getting a best deal on a card. But that is just me, welcome to my world. :cool:

What the hell does this even mean? Do you lead a cult? Is "Reggie" now a member? I need to know more!!!

HumbleBob

Aug 2, 2009
What the hell does this even mean? Do you lead a cult? Is "Reggie" now a member? I need to know more!!!

Ha! Nothing that big. One of his handlers mentioned to him what I do and we spoke about competitive eating. He knew a little bit about it but, I answered some questions that he had. He is far from a comp eating super fan, but he was curious.

As far as the second my world...I was just refering as to my expenditure of money at the National. Sure it is a lot for travel, hotel, for me food!... I don't take that total and say that I could have bought 437 Julio Franco cards off ebay for the same amount of money. I am there for the experience. Bonding with my son, meeting new people, meeting people that deal at that show that I have seen there since the mid 90s. That is my deal, my world.

If another wants to not go and use their vacation time to do something else, good for them. Enjoy "their world" and maybe we shall cross paths sometime. When we do, please have your Julio Franco and Billy White Shoes Johnson cards out to trade!

Johnny G

Sep 29, 2008
Jersey Shore
I've never been to one yet, however I plan on doing the Atlantic City one next year as its only a 1 hour drive for me. Plus if I hit big on a craps table I can come home with some goodies. I just can't afford the ones you have to fly to and get a hotel room. Out of my budget unfortunately.

gmarutiak

Jul 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Ha! Nothing that big. One of his handlers mentioned to him what I do and we spoke about competitive eating. He knew a little bit about it but, I answered some questions that he had. He is far from a comp eating super fan, but he was curious.

As far as the second my world...I was just refering as to my expenditure of money at the National. Sure it is a lot for travel, hotel, for me food!... I don't take that total and say that I could have bought 437 Julio Franco cards off ebay for the same amount of money. I am there for the experience. Bonding with my son, meeting new people, meeting people that deal at that show that I have seen there since the mid 90s. That is my deal, my world.

If another wants to not go and use their vacation time to do something else, good for them. Enjoy "their world" and maybe we shall cross paths sometime. When we do, please have your Julio Franco and Billy White Shoes Johnson cards out to trade!

Thanks for clarifying. For future reference, if you do ever decide to lead a cult, I'd be happy to join, regardless of whether or not Reggie is a member!

Apr 23, 2012
New Orleans

Uh, way to bury the lead! You are a competitive eater?!

Apr 23, 2012
New Orleans
nscc in chicago = expensive

nscc in cleveland = cheap

Is this true? Aren't table fees the same?

Flight costs are cheaper to O'Hare from most major cities, the hotels near the convention center were roughly 100/nt, and you don't have to rent a car since you are right there... what makes the cost difference?

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
Is this true? Aren't table fees the same?

Flight costs are cheaper to O'Hare from most major cities, the hotels near the convention center were roughly 100/nt, and you don't have to rent a car since you are right there... what makes the cost difference?

Cheaper everything really.

at cleveland I am able to buy 30x20 what I can buy 10x10 in chicago

Plus I don't get a $150 gibsons bill. Although damn I really want a $150 gibsons bill.

Members online

Latest posts