Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ginter/Brian Kong Thread: Where the heck did it go?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmarutiak

Jul 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
OK, maybe I'm losing my mind, but I swear I read, and even posted, in a thread last night about how Topps ruined the Brian Kong 1/1 art cards when they inserted them into the rip cards in this year's Ginter.

I can't find the thread at all! Can someone please post a link to it here so that I don't have to check myself in to the local hospital?

Either way, here's a link to the McCutchen on ebay. What a shame:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-TOPPS-...HEN-1-1-/380948082591?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

gmarutiak

Jul 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Understood. I've talked him at The National several times, and he seems like a really good guy. Plus, he's an awesome artist. One of these days, I'll save up some money and have him commission a piece.

Of course, the main point here is that, once again, Topps pulled a Topps. This time, they did so by ruining the work of a great artist.

I'm assuming Mr. Kong doesn't want to burn any bridges, especially one as big as Topps. I can't blame him.

This doesn't mean that Topps should avoid criticism for screwing up yet again.

gmarutiak

Jul 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Eh, I just don't see where this is that big of a deal.

There are other things that are big deals that need to be addressed.

We're not disagreeing, but you see it your way and I see it as, "It's a truly sad statement about the state of the hobby when there are so many bigger deals than this."

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
Topps screws up all the beautifully painted 1/1 cards and just goes ahead and inserts them anyways and that isn't a big problem? LOL

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
They aren't that bad.......as long as you convince yourself they are posing in a blizzard.

Attachments

• 1405180126019.jpg
    1405180126019.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 44

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
They aren't that bad.......as long as you convince yourself they are posing in a blizzard.

OK, so I missed the other thread and I understand the need to let this one die since the last thread was deleted, but please tell me the issue isnt that a certain card company did "this" to a certain artists card. If this is the issue......I am beyond shocked that they would have done this.

Erich

Aug 26, 2008
Anywhere Delta goes.
Eh, I just don't see where this is that big of a deal.

There are other things that are big deals that need to be addressed.

What the heck are you talking about? These are 1/1 and in many cases the best hit in the box, and you say it is not a big deal. Have you been drinking the Topps cool aid?

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
Dear FCB

Hey bra, I saw ur board there had a post on us F****ing up the sketch cards, cool down with that man, you mind shooting that post down while we can circle
the wagons and figure out how to smooth this one over. Tanks...KIT

Sincerely
The pimple faced topps employee who just completed his third week on the job

gmarutiak

Jul 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
OK, so I missed the other thread and I understand the need to let this one die since the last thread was deleted, but please tell me the issue isnt that a certain card company did "this" to a certain artists card. If this is the issue......I am beyond shocked that they would have done this.

Yep, Topps ruined 30 different Brian Kong 1/1 sketches. Since the original thread got deleted, I'm not sure if they did it accidentally or on purpose, to make them look "aged." Not that it matters.

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
Where did I say Brian worked for topps? I didn't. Topps should 1) Admit they screwed up. 2) Fix the problem to holders of these cards.

I think that is only fair. Hopefully Brian will get some more work and make more money.

Kevin

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
I'm not sure who said that he did. Topps paid him to paint these, and since he's one of the best sports artists in the business, there's a good chance they will do so again (unless Tempy Moore is available).

:lol::lol: If this would have happened to Tempy's sketch cards, we'd all be saying, "Hmmm...These actually look better! Thanks Topps!"

gmarutiak

Jul 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
For those of you going to the National, this would be a great topic to ask about at the annual Topps meet & greet deal. I'm sure they'll give the usual talk-a-lot-but-say-nothing answer, but I'm interested in how they're going to spin this one.

Members online

Latest posts