Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Someone slap Dale Murphy........

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmarutiak

Jul 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Murphy was asked a question. He gave his opinion. It was actually intelligent and well-stated. Instead of just saying, "I should be in the Hall of Fame," he lists several guys who he thinks should be in ahead of him.

Why should someone slap him?

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Murphy was asked a question. He gave his opinion. It was actually intelligent and well-stated. Instead of just saying, "I should be in the Hall of Fame," he lists several guys who he thinks should be in ahead of him.

Why should someone slap him?

Because I said so?

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I don't think there needs to be any arbitrary change to Hall elections or whatever (as if any change isn't arbitrary). I would have no problem is Dale ever got put in, to be honest. Two-time MVPs aren't that common. Anyone might win one, but two is tough, especially when Mike Schmidt was having his good years, not to mention all those other winners and near-winners. And Dale could've won more, as his 1984 and 1985 were as good as 1982 and 1983, and his 1987 numbers were best of all (although he still somehow only finished 11th in voting). His career had a great 6-year peak, which is really all most people get, but then he fell off kind of sharply, and he just didn't finish with the kinds of achievements writers look for. For a guy who never got better than 1 in 4 votes, this kind of self-serving statement if off-putting. Not slappable, though.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
MLB: 1.1627%
NFL: 1.2083%
NBA: 5.3402%
NHL: 4.0634%

These are the odds you have of making the HOF in your respective sport. The numbers aren't exact - it's difficult to figure out how many total players played in sports before the leagues we know now officially existed. I tried to take out linemen (hockey), builders, executives, etc. Both the NBA and NHL vote in players that never played in their leagues as well, but these numbers give a good idea of the general odds.

Based on these odds, it's significantly tougher to be immortalized if you play football or baseball. Each HOF has been around for 50+ years, so we have a decent sample size here.

Based on that alone, I agree with Murphy. Based on how dumb the BBWAA is, I definitely agree with him

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I agree with Murphy as well. I don't know if I could find 100, let alone 50, but I could probably find an easy 25 or more that should be strongly considered (modern era players) in my mind. The best 1-2% of the game, all-time, don't all have to be THE BEST. There are not too many Babe Ruth type players that define their sport, but there are plenty of great guys who helped shape it though the years.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I feel like a big part of the disparity between the NHL and NBA as compared to the NFL and MLB is simply the number of players on a team and the number of players on the field at once. In basketball and hockey individual players play a bigger role in what is going on, and there are fewer players, therefore it make sense for their percentages to be higher.

personally I don't have a strong feeling as far as whether the Hall of Fame should be bigger or smaller, I just wish they figured out a little better who should and shouldn't be there. I feel like between the steroid era, and many other factors and issues over the years it's been inconsistent and at times kind of silly.

Members online

Latest posts