Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

CONTEST: Show off a redemption card that will never be fulfilled

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmarutiak

Jul 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
You can call this the "Misery Enjoys Company" contest/thread.

Here are the rules:
1. You must show a picture of a redemption card that will never be fulfilled.
2. The card must be yours, not a picture from ebay, etc. (honor system in effect).
3. You must briefly explain why it will never be fulfilled (expired, player will never sign, etc.). Feel free to include a story as well.
4. Card can be from any product or sport.
5. You may show as many cards as you wish, but you are only eligible for one prize.
6. I will base the winner(s) on how hard of a kick to the nards I feel you took when you found out that you were never going to get the card(s).
7. The prize(s) will be decent (autograph/jersey/serial numbered baseball cards), but won't be anywhere near as good as the card(s) that you got screwed out of.
8. The contest will end at 11:59 pm on Sunday, May 8th, 2016.

If you have any questions, just ask in this thread.

Enter early and often. Good luck!

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
Very interesting concept for a contest....I don't have anything to submit myself, but I'll enjoy watching

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
(something like this?)

I gave this card to a Mark McGwire Collector.. I pulled it a few years after they had this promotion..

I called UD and of course, they said that due to logistics, they couldn't have him sign something for me..

So my prize was a kick to the nads..

mcgwire-hosed.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I actually like the expired redemption cards, but obviously prefer them well after the date so as not to personally feel that nut punch feeling from it being my missed opportunity. I have picked up a small collection of cool expired redemption cards along the way. I especially like the cards that featured player photos or at least some sort of logo or design. The crap pack fillers with the stickers on them are garbage and will never be anywhere near as collectible as the old time redemption cards.

Probably the best one I have with regard to lost value, which I did pull myself, but well after the redemption date is a Bill Russell (Celtics) action packed autograph redemption card. Back before he loosened up a bit on signing, his autograph was nearly impossible. AP offered a series of 500 signed cards, but they were redemptions. Still a fairly popular card today.

The ones that really hurt are the Garvey receptions from Fleer that were never made due to the bankruptcy though. I have purchased as many different as I could find when the product went live and, of course none were actually made and issued. I never even got the chance to see what they would look like, how limited they were, etc. Had they been made, they ultimately would have filtered out into the market, but all I have to show now are the expired redemptions. Thankfully I didn't trade them for the garbage autos they gave out when the class action suit was finally settled! I had turned in about a half dozen others and got a bunch of common basketball junk autos and a damaged Al Kaline GOTG. That whole situation was a serious NP!

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Here is the Russell redemption as well, pictured with the actual signed card that I bought:

Pulling that card in 1995 must have been one of the greatest feelings ever. Pulling it in 2015…not so great!

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
my card is still buried in a box in my house (where i havent lived since the fire last year) so not sure if i will get a chance to go dig it out to scan for the sake of a contest , but i'll share it anyway.....if i can find the box it's in , i'll try to add a scan this week....

the card :
2009 sp signature edition rookie autograph kenny mckinley.....

as my name implies , i'm a huge collector of anything and everything related to south caroilna.....mckinley left usc as our all-time leading receiver but was injured early in his rookie year with the denver broncos but many of us were still expecting him to recover and have a nice productive career....tried quite a few times to snag one of these redemption cards but failed over and over....finally landed one over the summer of 2010 ......fast forward a few weeks and kenny suffered a pre-season injury that was going to end his sophomore campaign ....more disappointment since it meant a second straight season wiped out , but nothing like what was to come a few weeks later when he passed away (though from what i know personally about the man , i'm still not sold on the idea he actually took his own life) before upper deck got the autographed cards back .....though the card itself is secondary , i sure wish he'd been available to get this one fulfilled....

honorable mention - on a VALUE note...i pulled two of the 1994 score rookie/traded september call-up cards.....now i redeem EVERYTHIMG....but for some reason or another , i forgot all about sending either of them in so both expired long before the a-rod card peaked in value (in the 600-800 range raw i believe)......

Last edited:

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I have the call up Arod, but have not been able to land an unexpired redemption as of yet. I have the sample card, but not the actual redemption. i guess we can still pull them in unopened boxes though, if you are lucky enough.

my card is still buried in a box in my house (where i havent lived since the fire last year) so not sure if i will get a chance to go dig it out to scan for the sake of a contest , but i'll share it anyway.....if i can find the box it's in , i'll try to add a scan this week....

the card :
2009 sp signature edition rookie autograph kenny mckinley.....

as my name implies , i'm a huge collector of anything and everything related to south caroilna.....mckinley left usc as our all-time leading receiver but was injured early in his rookie year with the denver broncos but many of us were still expecting him to recover and have a nice productive career....tried quite a few times to snag one of these redemption cards but failed over and over....finally landed one over the summer of 2010 ......fast forward a few weeks and kenny suffered a pre-season injury that was going to end his sophomore campaign ....more disappointment since it meant a second straight season wiped out , but nothing like what was to come a few weeks later when he passed away (though from what i know personally about the man , i'm still not sold on the idea he actually took his own life) before upper deck got the autographed cards back .....though the card itself is secondary , i sure wish he'd been available to get this one fulfilled....

honorable mention - on a VALUE note...i pulled two of the 1994 score rookie/traded september call-up cards.....now i redeem EVERYTHIMG....but for some reason or another , i forgot all about sending either of them in so both expired long before the a-rod card peaked in value (in the 600-800 range raw i believe)......

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
I have the call up Arod, but have not been able to land an unexpired redemption as of yet. I have the sample card, but not the actual redemption. i guess we can still pull them in unopened boxes though, if you are lucky enough.

i know i had my second one listed on ebay in 2014...not sure if i sold it or if it's still gathering dust in the house.....if i happen to come across it , i'll let you know....

gmarutiak

Jul 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Here's one of mine. Pedro Alvarez never signed anything for Topps as far as I know. It still drives me nuts just thinking about how sweet this card woud have been:

(Ok, for some reason I'm having trouble uploading the pic. It's for a 2011 Topps Triple Threads Dual auto/relic of Andrew McCutchen and Pedro Alvarez.)

Sent from my SM-T310 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Here is my entry. Guy Bluford framed mini auto. He's not only an astronaut, but a historic astronaut as he was the first african-american in space.

Topps crushed my dreams of an astronaut auto by sending a Don Sutton replacement.

attachment.php

Attachments

• bluford.jpg
    bluford.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 133

gmarutiak

Jul 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Here is my entry. Guy Bluford framed mini auto. He's not only an astronaut, but a historic astronaut as he was the first african-american in space.

Topps crushed my dreams of an astronaut auto by sending a Don Sutton replacement.

attachment.php

Ouch! Was the Sutton replacement one of those "Made Specifically For Redemptions We Won't Be Making" sticker auto's? If so, double ouch!

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Ouch! Was the Sutton replacement one of those "Made Specifically For Redemptions We Won't Be Making" sticker auto's? If so, double ouch!

yep, it was from that special auto release that Topps made specifically to replace redemptions.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
2011 A&G Rafer Johnson. Topps never had him under contract and someone on about board read on social media that he was never even contacted by Topps until after the product went live and he said that he does not sign like this.

It is still pending since I refuse to take a $5 replacement.

gmarutiak

Jul 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Congratulations to [MENTION=4047]mrmopar[/MENTION] , as he, in my opinion, received the biggest kick to the nards with his Bill Russell redemption. He will receive a few autograph and jersey cards for winning.

Since there were only five entrants, all who entered will receive prizes.
[MENTION=4047]mrmopar[/MENTION] , [MENTION=1802]Pinbreaker[/MENTION] , @game****fanatic , [MENTION=2726]rsmath[/MENTION] , and [MENTION=2418]George_Calfas[/MENTION] , please PM me your mailing addresses, and I will send out your prizes this week.

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
outstanding gesture.....i looked for mine each day i went to my house this past week but couldn't locate it yet....in the spirit of your contest i will come back and post a scan whenever i manage to unearth it again....

IndyManning18

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Here's one I bought already expired on Ebay. LeBron James 2002-03 Finest Gold Refractor #1 Draft Pick #09 /25. $13.49 is what I paid for the card.
c9c4cac991e966dd240ccf0c278bedf5.jpg
7fedd0aaa8afb96fcb6adc4a1f291ba0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Members online