Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

REA bidders have deeper pockets than I do

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
10 POH sigs in one lot? Yeah, that'll bring some strong bids. Even if the bidders already have at least some in the lot, they're easy to liquidate.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
They couldn't get my info straight to allow me to bid. So irritated. There were some great lots, I think they should have split a few of the modern card lots though

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
10 POH sigs in one lot? Yeah, that'll bring some strong bids. Even if the bidders already have at least some in the lot, they're easy to liquidate.

Yup. the final price was well beyond the breakup value on eBay which I couldn't justify unfortunately.

Crazy that even in that lot there was no Banks sighting. That card is near I possible.

Other major cards amongst the lots:
1998 donruss signature preview Derek Jeter. Auction said the card never made it into packs because they were returned from Jeter late but a few got out.

Also a Mantle 2001 Sweet Spot auto which is near impossible to find.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
Yup. the final price was well beyond the breakup value on eBay which I couldn't justify unfortunately.

Crazy that even in that lot there was no Banks sighting. That card is near I possible.

Other major cards amongst the lots:
1998 donruss signature preview Derek Jeter. Auction said the card never made it into packs because they were returned from Jeter late but a few got out.

Also a Mantle 2001 Sweet Spot auto which is near impossible to find.

The lot with dimaggio and mantle sweet spots was on my watch list as well. I feel like they should have split the bat barrels off into another lot. I would love to get the mantle and dimaggio. Rest was all resale to me

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
The lot with dimaggio and mantle sweet spots was on my watch list as well. I feel like they should have split the bat barrels off into another lot. I would love to get the mantle and dimaggio. Rest was all resale to me

All the card lots seemed to go for a decent amount more than their eBay prices split up which made it tough to justify if I wanted to keep some and sell the rest.

Pretty cool to see some of those though. Still have a hard time understanding why Ted Williams consistently went of the edge on the left side with his autograph when that was where he was starting his name!

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013

I didn't catch that lot at first . Def think they should have broke it up as well quite a collection of Barrels in itself , though the Ripken lacks some appreal. The Musial upside down auto, oops. What's the Mantle SS bring ?

Ryan

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
To be honest I'm not sure. In the time I've started collecting sweet spots (only last 4 years) I don't recall seeing one sell. The dimaggio I've seen go for 499-600.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
To be honest I'm not sure. In the time I've started collecting sweet spots (only last 4 years) I don't recall seeing one sell. The dimaggio I've seen go for 499-600.

Dimaggio is /150. Mantle is not numbered. Auction said it is /10
But I've seen /7 mentioned elsewhere. I'd guess its $2000 or so although with the card that rare there's really no way to say with it being from the first sweet spot release, and having a gorgeous perfectly centered signature.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Dimaggio is /150. Mantle is not numbered. Auction said it is /10
But I've seen /7 mentioned elsewhere. I'd guess its $2000 or so although with the card that rare there's really no way to say with it being from the first sweet spot release, and having a gorgeous perfectly centered signature.

The first thing that catches my eye is that DiMaggio being numbered n the Mantle not. Like the POH I hate inconsistent numbering or fonts . The Mantle looks great though. It was a nice lot. On the Don Sig lot , I still don't see where that pricing came from. Even w the Jeter it seems crazy.

Ryan

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
The first thing that catches my eye is that DiMaggio being numbered n the Mantle not. Like the POH I hate inconsistent numbering or fonts . The Mantle looks great though. It was a nice lot. On the Don Sig lot , I still don't see where that pricing came from. Even w the Jeter it seems crazy.

Ryan

Someone thinks that Jeter is a $10,000+ card apparently.

The Ripken and Rodriguez were huge cards in the hobby back in the day. Maybe there are set collectors with unending pockets who went for it.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
The premium people pay for certain cards. Autographs area great example. I'd love a sweet spot mantle. Have a certified ASA auto from early 80 ' s I paid 225 for and you can get an authentic ball for what 400-600?? Maybe less if your lucky.. why would I want to pay 2000-3000 for that same cut ball on a piece of cardboard? I get the collectability but it still baffles me sometimes the premiums a certified card brings. paige is another fine example

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
The premium people pay for certain cards. Autographs area great example. I'd love a sweet spot mantle. Have a certified ASA auto from early 80 ' s I paid 225 for and you can get an authentic ball for what 400-600?? Maybe less if your lucky.. why would I want to pay 2000-3000 for that same cut ball on a piece of cardboard? I get the collectability but it still baffles me sometimes the premiums a certified card brings. paige is another fine example

It's odd isn't it ? Take something that is x , put into a card , it becomes x+a bunch

Ryan

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
It's odd isn't it ? Take something that is x , put into a card , it becomes x+a bunch

Ryan

Isn't it odder that we pay for cardboard to begin with? :)

2001 Sweet Spot was the first year for that set and was an enormous hit. Mantle was the second toughest card behind a Ruth 1/1 I believe. Tons of people built the set without those two and poured serious money into it. Now they have a chance to make it that much more complete. That's pretty exciting for many collectors.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
Does seem odd, but it's so convenient. they're (mostly) the same consistent size and fun to collect.
Set collectors paying astronomical prices is crazy to me but it's not something I do as a collecting focus. Sure there are a couple sweet spot sets I'm working on but my want to complete them is not overrun with a desire to empty my bank account.

Latest posts