Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How would it affect card price if a player came out of the closet?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
How would it affect card price if a players come out of the closet?

Like others have said, it would depend on the player and team. You might lose a few collectors and gain others. I think it's kind of odd to either collect or not collect a guy due to his sexual orientation. I've always collected based on their playing ability and I also collect local guys. I don't care what race they are, if they are gay or not. None of that matters.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Like it or not it is a fact that a large chunk of the population dislikes homosexuality. Then you factor in that the collector base seems to be about 95% straight men, so the impact is magnified. On the other hand, you would have many non-collectors coming in to buy cards of that player, at least at first. Plus that one player will stand out in history, which could very much increase his long-term value especially since the nation is becoming more accepting of homosexuality as time goes on.

I would hope we're already at the point where collectors aren't seriously going to say "Ewwww this guy is gay I'm totally selling my collection gross!" en masse. But, like it or not, it might affect whether somebody starts collecting or keeps on collecting a guy, as maybe they would be afraid they'd be teased for collecting him. I collect A's, and if say Jarrod Parker came out of the closet it would have no impact on how many of his cards I want. But you know damn well if I made a "WTTF Jarrod Parker" post the first response would be something like "haha ur gay". I'm thick-skinned enough to not let it affect me, but a lot of people aren't.

Oh yeah so anyways, huge ebay price increases at first, lower general collector demand for years, then good value years later when he is recognized as being a trailblazer.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas

I think this guy was the first to make it public:
1569244863.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Are you really straight if you never get laid?

While a large amount of men I see at card shows could not get laid by either gender if they tried, it seems like most of them are not getting laid by women. Their piles of Benchwarmers cards are some circumstantial evidence.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
Re: How would it affect card price if a players come out of the closet?

Prices go up from the support in the gay community. I also don't think enough every day collectors would care enough for a price drop.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

Apr 23, 2012
New Orleans
I would think that the player, if he were to come out publicly and speak out for gay rights, would become a household name and gain lots of fame and notoriety. He would be thought of as historically significant along the lines of Jackie Robinson, Masanori Murakami, Curt Flood, etc.

The haters will eventually fade away except for a small bigoted minority.

But if it is done under the radar, after retirement, or is a really unknown player (like Billy Bean) it wouldn't have much of an effect.

Logan2500

May 21, 2012
PA

I think that they would stay the same. If Mike Trout or Albert Pujols said they were gay would you still pay the same for their cards? I would because sport collecting should be based on talent and not many other things.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
I think this guy was the first to make it public:
1569244863.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
Glenn Burke had come out and died of AIDS-related complications long before Bean went public. He is widely acknowledged as being the first openly-gay baseball player. Lesser known is that a great many people credit him with "inventing" the high five.

burke.jpg

Last edited:

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
Re: How would it affect card price if a players come out of the closet?

Ban hammer! I don't understand why people run on each other start shenanigans online.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts