Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The Time Has Come for Tighter Moderation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
So out of curiosity, which recent example below would require moderation NOW?

1. The thread about the a rod non auto bc "Superfractor"

2.the thread about the "social media" bc auto linked from blow out?

3. Any given thread where someone comes in and totally takes it off topic in a mean way?

The first two spanned 2.6 million pages each with ten times as many comments.

I THOROUGHLY enjoyed reading each as I enjoy most board drama. Neither bothered me at all.

I can see #3 being the main culprit.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
I have to agree that this is a positive change for the boards. I post less frequently now because I feel like I am on Blowout. Anytime there is a post its no longer logical debate, it is one sided bigotry and that makes it difficult to have decent conversations about our hobby. If a guy is excited about his collection and makes 3 threads about it who cares? We should be accepting of it and just post how nice the collection is not 20 comments where people say No need to triple post, why did you post this again, etc. This site can be great. It is great. But it can definitely be better and this is a good way to do so.

Unfortunately, this board does feel more and more like Blowout.I don't think there needs to be anymore moderation, but it's become harder and harder to navigate the board, unlike it used to be.That is precisely why I don't post nearly as much here as I used to, there always seems to be some annoying change the moderators need to make, when there was no need to change something to begin with.It's rather annoying to keep track of posts you make, then if you want to view new posts in a thread you are involved in you have to click on the damn "my posts" link and wade through all the posts you've already read.Really aggrevating, Blowout and Beckett have the same damn format on their boards, and that is why I don't frequent those much.I left many threads in the dust here because it's so aggrevating to read new posts because I don't feel like wading through posts again I've already read days or weeks ago.Plus, you have to click on the link just to see if there are any new posts.Why the hell was this changed?I messaged 2 moderators about this months ago, and never received an answer.Stop fixing something that isn't broken.

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
Unfortunately, this board does feel more and more like Blowout.I don't think there needs to be anymore moderation, but it's become harder and harder to navigate the board, unlike it used to be.That is precisely why I don't post nearly as much here as I used to, there always seems to be some annoying change the moderators need to make, when there was no need to change something to begin with.It's rather annoying to keep track of posts you make, then if you want to view new posts in a thread you are involved in you have to click on the damn "my posts" link and wade through all the posts you've already read.Really aggrevating, Blowout and Beckett have the same damn format on their boards, and that is why I don't frequent those much.I left many threads in the dust here because it's so aggrevating to read new posts because I don't feel like wading through posts again I've already read days or weeks ago.Plus, you have to click on the link just to see if there are any new posts.Why the hell was this changed?I messaged 2 moderators about this months ago, and never received an answer.Stop fixing something that isn't broken.

Click on..........

Quick Links
Subscribed Threads

If Im understanding correctly, that should solve your issue.
If Im not understanding correctly, I apologize.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Click on..........

Quick Links
Subscribed Threads

If Im understanding correctly, that should solve your issue.
If Im not understanding correctly, I apologize.

Yes!Much thanks.Wish a moderator could have told me this when I PM'd them.Thanks a lot.So much easier to keep track of new posts in threads this way.

bmc398

May 25, 2009
It's funny that the people XXXXXing about this on here are the last people the Mods would take action on. If an established poster went off the rails do you really think the first response would be the ban hammer? If so, stop smoking weed because you are paranoid. This is more about breaks for newer members who can't adhere to rules and don't ever even try to make positive contributions. If people who adhere to the rules want to leave because we ask the idiots to cool it....you aren't going to find a place as lax as FCB.

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
I believe it is the people/people's posts that are in need of moderating...not the threads themselves. It is one thing to have a disagreement of opinions and have heated discussions that actually pertain to each thread. It is another thing when personal "attacks" and consistent trolling happen from one user to another user. I think these are very easy scenarios to distinguish. Also, if anyone feels they are being "picked on" by anyone including a Mod, just use the "report post" option.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Stephen-Colbert-Popcorn.gif

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
If those really are "examples" of what you intend to "mod" more strictly, then I'm freaking out of here. Sorry.

+1

The internet would be a boring place, besides neither was even bad. I cant wait to see the bus loads of new members who are signing up now! The magical door is now open no one will post a popcorn pic!

A_Pharis

If those really are "examples" of what you intend to "mod" more strictly, then I'm freaking out of here. Sorry.

It's gotten to the point where discussions go on until someone comes in with no point other than to say something sarcastic - which is exactly what your giant bolded post was.

So - yes... it was a perfect example.

If you see tighter moderation as a bad thing, then we can't help you. I don't think "tighter moderation" means "swinging a ban hammer." It means making sure that topics aren't so frequently berated that people are timid to post due to fear of ridicule. Yes, it happens.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
It's gotten to the point where discussions go on until someone comes in with no point other than to say something sarcastic - which is exactly what your giant bolded post was.

So - yes... it was a perfect example.

If you see tighter moderation as a bad thing, then we can't help you. I don't think "tighter moderation" means "swinging a ban hammer." It means making sure that topics aren't so frequently berated that people are timid to post due to fear of ridicule. Yes, it happens.

"Gotten to the point"? lol Welcome to every single good message board on the internet with zero exceptions. You can't force every single post in every single thread to be relatable to the topic at-hand. It will be an exercise in futility, as we are all human and will never be so strictly in-tune with the exact topic of every thread. You guys aren't going to change internet message board etiquette, you are just going to push MORE people away from your site because NO ONE likes over-moderation. Look at SCF. That place is modded to death and is truly awful. But do whatever. Give the ultra-sensitive minority what they want. What do I care. If I have to find other forums to have real human interactions and not heavily-modded fake interactions, I won't hesitate. The lax moderation has always been a huge part and draw of FCB, even when it was booming. It will be found somewhere else if things change too drastically. Just being honest.

Last edited:

A_Pharis

I think you're going over board - dramatically.
There will still be plenty of banter and interaction. Hopefully, it'll lead to people learning how to treat new members versus how they treat old friends.

For instance, calling an established member I know very well a ******** could probably get a chuckle from him. Calling a new member a ******** - probably not so much.

It's about using common sense, and some people will get it while some people won't. It's not like moderation is black and white. We have to use our own judgement on every situation, and we'd like to think the members are capable of doing the same. I'm not sure why you feel like this is like a total prison lock-down when it's not. Or maybe you're looking for an excuse to leave. I'm not sure, but I know we don't want ANY member to up and leave.

On the other hand, we're not going to force you to post here. If you feel like you will somehow be completely silenced by being told "not to be a dick"... then I'm sorry.

Edit: And the sentiment of "It's impossible to fix so why try?" is a horrible way to go about things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts