Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Customs with a Game Used Home Run Bat & Ball

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
This week has been stuffed to the gills with making customs for people who won my customs contest & customs just for fun for my own collection. While it has taken a long time and kept me busy, it sure has been fun.

I was kind of bummed about Topps not making a NOW card as a throwback of Canseco,

twitter.jpg

so I made my own.

4040.jpg

After I did that, I thought HEY! What not do one of Tim Tebow on the Mets?

tebowsmall.jpg

and what about Ginny Baker from the new show Pitch?

ginny2.jpg

As if that weren't exciting enough, why not turn my boring life into a set of baseball cards? Here is the start:

dinner.jpg

The next day was the presidential debate. While I'm not going to publicly critique how each candidate did, I will say that I think we were all thinking the same thing last night:
whats.jpg

After the debate and everyone went to bed, I got to work on a project for Phillies_Joe. He was nominated - and was a winner - of my custom contest. I did some custom cards of his family, which I wrapped up last night. Joe also sent along some money as well as this:

cheesman5.jpg

Know who that is? Don't feel bad, because I wouldn't have either just by looking at it. It is none other than Phillies pitcher Aaron Nola! The back has an MLB authentication hologram as well.

I went to work ...

cheesman6.jpg

The end result was this booklet. I think it turned out great! I love that 2 portions of the ball were used and that it is a book.

cheesman3.jpg

Since I have the destroyed baseball as well, why not pose it with the finished product, right?

cheesman4.jpg

It is because this came out so well, that it made me want to do something similar for my own personal collection. (I've actually wanted to do a card like this for several months now, so this gave me a good excuse to dive in!)

Several months ago, I picked up a game used baseball used in a game Canseco played in and was signed by Jose. I didn't care much for the signature, as it was purchased with the intent of destroying it.

cansecoball.jpg

More recently, I made a HUGE pickup. A 1997 game used home run bat. It is quite a rare bat! It appears almost black, but in the light, it has a gorgeous green appearance to it. It is beautiful. Canseco used several bats throughout his career, but I've only seen him use this type once.

bat2.jpg

bat3.jpg

bat4.jpg

As you can see, it is inscribed gamer and mentions that it was used to hit home run #12 in the 1997 season.

I know what you are thinking ... ZOIKS!

Untitled3.jpg

Don't worry ... I didn't do that with this one. nor do I intend to! I have always wanted a full game used / autographed home run bat, so it is going to stay in my collection as-is :)

So, while the bat itself didn't make it into my latest custom, a picture of it did!

bat.jpg

This is the ONLY picture I could find of him using this type of bat. I was fortunate to have seen it, and it looks like mine is the one in the picture! How can you not use this as the pic of the card, right?

Here is the end result:

canseco2.jpg

And ... just like the Nola pic, I wanted to pose it with the baseball that was used:

canseco1.jpg

That's all for now - thanks for reading!

http://www.tanmanbaseballfan.com/2016/09/customs-home-run-game-used-bat-ball.html

mouschi

May 18, 2012
So, do you have one of these yet? http://r.ebay.com/LzGK4u

I could see a whole line of custom cards using Canseco figures in the photos instead of actually the real man.

The only figures I collect are his bobbleheads. I've actually done a few cards of a statue for cansecos practice pitcher and they ended up looking pretty real!

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009
[MENTION=7453]mouschi[/MENTION], that bat-becomes-chopsticks photo is (I think) the second time you've fooled me into thinking you pieced out a one of a kind game used piece. Love the customs--awesome how the curvature of the GU ball makes it seem to be practically spinning in the card--and that is one sick bat!

mouschi

May 18, 2012
@mouschi, that bat-becomes-chopsticks photo is (I think) the second time you've fooled me into thinking you pieced out a one of a kind game used piece. Love the customs--awesome how the curvature of the GU ball makes it seem to be practically spinning in the card--and that is one sick bat!

Thanks! That bat pic is actually a gamer I had cut up - I still have LOTS of material to work with too, for future projects. I wouldn't dare touch my green gamer though :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts