Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

EDIT: Ebay buyer is a complete psychopath BECAUSE ITS CARDCOP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Same bidder won 12 auctions from me the other night, and is refusing to pay and threatening to report me to ebay because I am supposedly violating their rules for combined shipping. I can't find a rule stating sellers have to state that there is extra shipping for multiple items in the auction description. Does anyone have a link to an actual set of rules about this stuff? If I'm in the wrong I want to know, but if not, I have half a mind to cancel and block for the way this person is speaking to me.

Last edited:

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
This is a sore subject for me as a buyer. I don't think it is required, but it should be very clear. It gets tiring having to message people asking what their exact policy is on shipping for multiple wins. I do a lot of browsing listings when there is something I want from a seller. It helps them get more bids/sales, but I expect to be able to save on multiple lots and pay a "REASONABLE" s/h fee. Many sellers are great, but a handful are shifty or vague and try to take advantage of multiple winning bid buyers. I always have to ask, is there a per item additional charge, is there a flat fee, is it capped if there is a per item additional charge, etc. It is in the sellers best interest to be clear on this area of their policy to avoid difficult buyers with preconceived expectations.

That said, I also think it helps sellers when they can ship just one package vs many. Those sellers who are profiting from their shipping charges probably don't like to combine or do so at a higher rate, but still want to ship everything together to save themselves money and time.

As Ryan said, have them pay for each separately. That is not a big deal for a buyer. If i were the buyer though and you did that to me, I'd expect you…no REQUIRE you to send them all separately then. It just becomes a pissing match that stubborn sellers don't win in the end.

It's best for everyone when the buyer and seller care on the same page and can agree to the terms.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
This is a sore subject for me as a buyer. I don't think it is required, but it should be very clear. It gets tiring having to message people asking what their exact policy is on shipping for multiple wins. I do a lot of browsing listings when there is something I want from a seller. It helps them get more bids/sales, but I expect to be able to save on multiple lots and pay a "REASONABLE" s/h fee. Many sellers are great, but a handful are shifty or vague and try to take advantage of multiple winning bid buyers. I always have to ask, is there a per item additional charge, is there a flat fee, is it capped if there is a per item additional charge, etc. It is in the sellers best interest to be clear on this area of their policy to avoid difficult buyers with preconceived expectations.

That said, I also think it helps sellers when they can ship just one package vs many. Those sellers who are profiting from their shipping charges probably don't like to combine or do so at a higher rate, but still want to ship everything together to save themselves money and time.

As Ryan said, have them pay for each separately. That is not a big deal for a buyer. If i were the buyer though and you did that to me, I'd expect you…no REQUIRE you to send them all separately then. It just becomes a pissing match that stubborn sellers don't win in the end.

It's best for everyone when the buyer and seller care on the same page and can agree to the terms.

DITTO!

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Yeah, if you don't combine, cool. No problem. You ship them together, you're risking a negative.

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
I can't find a rule stating sellers have to state that there is extra shipping for multiple items in the auction description.

The way you worded this makes it sound like you're attempting to charge more for shipping than what was stated in the auction. Is that the case?

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
How much do you charge for shipping per card and why do you not combine shipping 12 auctions?

Not accusatory just curious so we can offer insight here

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
How much do you charge for shipping per card and why do you not combine shipping 12 auctions?

Not accusatory just curious so we can offer insight here

I do combine auctions, her claim is that I can't have an additional charge to do so because I do not state it directly in the auction description. Right now I have it set up for an additional 15¢ per auction, and in this case, I'm planning on shipping in a box (as opposed to a bubble mailer) which costs pretty much what I'm charging.

My question is, am I supposed to explicitly say this? She's saying this is an specific and suspendable rule. Maybe its just me, but I 've always figured that combined auction shipping was a given.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
It does not have to be in the description I am sure of it.
you set up your shipping rules in the shipping section. If your happy with what they sold for
just eat the extra s/h because eBay almost never sides with buyers

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
Sounds like they are trying to bully you into doing it their way or the highway. I'd cancel the transactions and block. This much of a headache this early in the transaction, who knows what other stunts they'll try and pull later.

I would be curious to read your description though just to help us better understand where you both are coming from. I am not a big time seller/buyer, but was under the assumption that as a seller you can set your own shipping policies/prices. This is why ebay starting charging a final value fee of your shipping as well, to avoid sellers overcharging.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Here's the email from her:

What is this $4.50 S&H fee? Your listed fee is $3.00 and it is not stated ANYWHERE that you charge an extra fee for additional cards won WHICH IS EBAY'S RULE. Otherwise they consider this HIDDEN FEES which is a suspendable offense.

For starter's, if you shipped each card in a top-loader the package would not exceed 8-ounces. Postage for an 8-OZ package with eBay Shipping is $2.60. Bubble envelopes (any size) in lots as small as (25) cost .320 cents each RIGHT ON EBAY! So there's absolutely no justifying charging more than $3.00 TOTAL S&H for what I won even disregarding EBAY RULES. If top-loaders are BRAND NEW andhave no irremovable tape anywhere on them, you can charge for them, BUT YOU STILL NEED TO MENTION THE ADDITIONAL FEES IN EACH LISTING.

I've been a Sports Card S&H Rules volunteer since I started on eBay in 1995. I have eBay's S&H rules memorized and it is eBay's Founder's wish that members police eBay because eBay DOES NOT! Please send me a corrected invoice.

According to her profile, she's been on ebay since late 2014. She's also someone who questioned the authenticity of certified autos I've had up (I didn't recognize the same until I saw some older messages), because she's a forensic document examiner and expert on autographs (funny how everyone on the internet is an expert on every subject that happens to be relevant at that moment!).

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
Yikes. Like jcmint said- if you're happy with the sales then eat it but if the cards will sell again then cancel and run!

Unbelievable!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
After reading your item description, you do say you combine shipping but don't say at what amount. Why wouldn't you just state in your description what amount you'll charge for additional cards? Just eliminate any angle idiot buyers like this one could nit pick at. I agree with others that .15/per is very reasonable, heck, we've all seen people try and charge .25/.50/ and up to $1 per additional, so .15 is very cheap. They are definitely trying to bully you at a technicality. Pretty funny they are just happen to be an expert at the exact stuff that they want to argue about. What a coincidence!

Calripkenjrcollector

Dec 12, 2009
National City, California
$1.50 is obviously a big deal to the buyer. I think she'll complain about other things after she gets the card and ask for partial refund. She already mentioned about tapes in the top loaders, she'll probably complain about the glue in the team bag when she gets the cards.

You have to admit as a buyer though, some sellers are just A-Ho's when it comes to S / H. Some would not combine but mail in the same package. One seller charged me $12 to ship four cards that came in the same bubble mailer and question me about dinging his shipping feedback. Really?

I also have a seller refuse to combine shipping but sent $3 cash along with the cards with a note saying "Thanks for your business". You win some, you lose some I guess....

Members online