Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

If you could find a monster box filled with one player....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I'd have to go with Nolan Ryan as well. He's a player I probably would collect if budget was no object. Plus if we're talking past 30 years he'd have the entire period covered.

- Rodrick

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Depends on the intent and of course what might be inside that box. You want to flip the box, you pick a guy with strong resale value. If you want them for yourself, then that could be anyone.

Assuming the box would have a wide variety and possibly some of the major hit cards and great oddballs (for the sake of making this fantasy question fun), I'd probably go with either Frank Thomas or Greg Maddux. I have a healthy collection of both already, but the possibilities are greater for some new things for me and I enjoy collecting both of those players a little more than the rest of the field. I think a 5K box of Garvey would be 5K worth of doubles for me otherwise, but it might be fun just to see what was in there (as long as there weren't too many 88 score cards!).

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012
For profit: Jeter, Griffey Ryan or Ripken none of whom have been close to being tainted by the roids. For fun though -- people such as Frank Thomas, Pudge Rodriguez, Jim Thome or players of that 90-91 RC year realm to see how the amount of cards just grow over the years. A really cool question,

I'd go with the Big Hurt...for fun AND for profit. Frank has some real gems out there and he could easily be included with Jeter, Griffey, and Ripken. The only reason I don't start a Thomas PC is because his checklist is way too large and way too expensive, and there would be way too much competition. But give me a monster box filled with his stuff, I'll take it over all those other guys hands down.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008

1482771_10151958273309193_274769524_n.jpg

1465199_10151958273314193_869409570_n.jpg

What's your price on the Bagwell box?

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Rickey Henderson
He's my all-time favorite player and I have about 400 different cards, but I'm missing thousands, so I monster box filled with Rickeys would exponentally add to my collection.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
Griffey easily. Doubles would be traded or given away.
When I first started on Beckett (late 2001) I had 250 different griffey cards. But doing only trades in there I have over 1600 different now. Doesn't seem like much but I never did lots on eBay or expensive inserts. Whatever I could trade for, so there's about 50,000 I still need

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited:

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
For more collection, Rickey. For resale value to buy more Rickey cards I would want a box of Griffey.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
I'd love a box of Mattingly for the right price. It would be fun to go back and build a collection from his playing days 1984-1996, and that would be a great starting point. I'm a fan of those 80s oddballs and local issues.

Members online